Which coach in their prime? Tom Landry or Jimmy Johnson?

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
He was a strict disciplinarian but showed no emotion on the sidelines. You had no idea whether the Cowboys were winning or losing by the expression on his face. He had the Landry stare that got the attention of players.
Right. He wasn’t going to make a spectacle of himself on the sideline, but the players knew when he wasn’t happy. To me, that’s not laid back. Based on everything I’ve read and heard over the years, film sessions, particularly after a loss, were brutal. Landry didn’t hold back at all. Players wanted to crawl under their seats when they screwed up and it was pointed out in these sessions. Again, he just wasn’t going to show much in public, but he certainly did in private.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Landry was too laid back? Absolutely not. He was just the opposite, but you didn’t see it on the sideline. He was a strict disciplinarian if ever there was one. You either did it his way or you did it somewhere else. He didn’t go ape**** on the sideline, but you could tell when he was seething inside.
The quiet ones are the most scary ones! Players get tired of loud mouth coaches that are always yelling, especially when they are making millions.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Right. He wasn’t going to make a spectacle of himself on the sideline, but the players knew when he wasn’t happy. To me, that’s not laid back. Based on everything I’ve read and heard over the years, film sessions, particularly after a loss, were brutal. Landry didn’t hold back at all. Players wanted to crawl under their seats when they screwed up and it was pointed out in these sessions. Again, he just wasn’t going to show much in public, but he certainly did in private.

His demeanor came off as laid-back to me. Landry wasn’t the clap your hands let’s go get ‘em type of coach. He even made his players stop doing TD endzone celebrations for a while. Michael Irvin said in 1988 the Cowboys were getting hammered at halftime and Landry hardly said anything. He said he was somewhat shocked at how Landry handled the situation. He said Jimmy would’ve been all over the team.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His demeanor came off as laid-back to me. Landry wasn’t the clap your hands let’s go get ‘em type of coach. He even made his player stop doing TD endzone celebrations for a while.
He appeared that way, but compared to flying bomber planes in WWII, coaching was a breeze.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He appeared that way, but compared to flying bomber planes in WWII, coaching was a breeze.

Well he was given a 10 year contract so he had a lot of security in the NFL compared to other coaches. According to players he did cry after a loss in the early 60s.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson hands down. Jimmy came out of college football & changed the way things were done in the NFL. He was one of the most aggressive traders in league history, & the Herschel Walker deal was one of the best ever.

He knew how to put together fast, aggressive defenses. Had he not clashed w/Jerry, Jimmy might have had a few more Super Bowl titles. That said, Landry took 12 years to win his first SB. Johnson won back to back championships in his 6 year tenure w/Dallas. Doesn't take a rocket scientist folks.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jimmy Johnson hands down. Jimmy came out of college football & changed the way things were done in the NFL. He was one of the most aggressive traders in league history, & the Herschel Walker deal was one of the best ever.

He knew how to put together fast, aggressive defenses. Had he not clashed w/Jerry, Jimmy might have had a few more Super Bowl titles. That said, Landry took 12 years to win his first SB. Johnson won back to back championships in his 6 year tenure w/Dallas. Doesn't take a rocket scientist folks.
Landry had an expansion team without a crapload of draft picks. Jimmy also inherited some good players like Irvin and had an owner with deep pockets. Apples to oranges. I take Landry hands down.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He was a strict disciplinarian but showed no emotion on the sidelines. You had no idea whether the Cowboys were winning or losing by the expression on his face. He had the Landry stare that got the attention of players. His demeanor was much different than Jimmy’s. Landry always looked calm, cool and collected. He wasn’t a rah-rah in your face type of coach.

Tom once said he is was ranting and raving and losing his cool, how do you expect players to keep theirs. Tom lead by example

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score

The Cowboys were a brand new expansion team when Landry was hired. In addition, he wasn’t the beneficiary of the NFL’s dumbest trade in history (dumb on Minnesota’s part). There’s a reason it’s referred to as The Great Train Robbery. LOL. Landry literally started with nothing.

As far as changing how things were done in the league, Landry actually invented defenses, formations, personnel evaluation, etc. Landry had FAR more impact on how the game is played. Don’t get me wrong, I love Jimmy Johnson and think he was a great coach. But, he had no where near the impact on the game of football as Landry. Not even close.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Tom once said he is was ranting and raving and losing his cool, how do you expect players to keep theirs. Tom lead by example

This is about as angry as Tom Landry would get. The Danny White play was the angriest I had ever seen him.

cowboyec

Reaction score
2060351953_ede4f177d2_b.jpg
damn right.
forever this is his house.