Which concerns you more: RB situation or DT situation?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
RB will be fine. I think we improved there.

DT is my concern. I will wait and see how this turns out but my expectations are low.

quickccc

Reaction score
DT..without question ,..

not being able to stop the run, also allows opposing offenses to control the ball.. keep it out of hands of our QB, our offense .

it's frustrating to an entire team on both sides to know they'll be dismantled piece by piece vs run ..and we cannot do anything to stop the bleeding.

Good luck to Zim, ... last two DCs we've had , proved failures in stopping the run ... and Zimm is gonna be provided even less player
support per the FO., until there's another Hankins like trade per mid season.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
The scheme isn't changing???

PLEASE provide a link for that.
Did the Cowboys get rid of Solari and Schottenheimer? Did one person say they are changing the offense so far this offseason?

It would be impossible for me to prove a negative. Show me a link from someone in the organization saying "Hey. Yeah. The run offense was a problem last year by design. We are going to change things up."

Kingofholland

Reaction score
RBs are easier to find than DTs, but if your running game is inefficient that usually spills over to the rest of the offense. A lot hinges on how quickly the new faces on the oline get going and if our below average running room can over achieve with better blocking.

At DT I like Osa, the rest are a bunch of unkowns and probably hinges on Mazi. If Mazi emerged as a solid contributor by the end of last season I think we would feel different about the position sans the depth.

Right now I'm almost equally worried about RB and DT, but if the offense becomes too pass dependent because it can't find a running game that will impact all areas of the team so would lean there now.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
A lot of talk about our RB situation, but almost as often, it has been mentioned that our DT situation was not addressed adequately in the draft either.

So, just curious, if we assume Zeke gets signed, which one gives you stronger concern?

(a) a RB room featuring Zeke and Dowdle as the two leads, Luepke or Freeman getting the FB/ST role, and Vaughn as the change of pace guy

or

(b) a DT rotation that includes Diggyzoo and Chauncey at 3-tech, with Fehoko theoretically also getting into that mix... and Mazi and a 7th rounder Rogers at 1-Tech...

Oh, and just gonna throw this out there... don't be too surprised if, besides Zeke, we also add another vet FA in a minimum contract named James Lynch.

No kidding, Lynch played DE, and 3-tech, and even a little 1-tech for Minny apparently... but mostly 3-tech... after being drafted by Zimmer and his old team out of Baylor in 2020.

Here's why. Of course, we've lost along the D-line Armstrong, Fowler and Gallimore. Sam Williams gets Armstrong snaps conventionally speaking. Tyrus Wheat gets Fowler's snaps. And Fehoko moves into Gallimore's role.

Then, Kneeland comes into camp penciled-in to Williams old third-string slot, with a decent chance to pull ahead of Wheat before game #1. But other than Durrell Johnson on a futures contract, there's really no one to occupy Wheat's old third-string slot. Enter James Lynch... who, quite possibly, would also pull ahead of Wheat, or perhaps would claim the other 3-tech slot and force Fehoko to compete on the edge with Wheat.

Lynch is coming off a lost season due to an ACL tear in preseason. But every indication is that he should be ready for 2024. Knows Zimmer's defense, and one would assume the two have some affection for each other.

I’m more concerned about DT as I think they’ve gone far in fixing the running game with the 2 new linemen. A good RB is much easier to find than a good DT.

kskboys

Reaction score
IMO the run game is going to be awful next year. The problem isn't and wasn't the O line. Its the scheme which isn't changing. Adding a slow as F Zeke as a lead runner is just going to exacerbate the problems.

DT? Well, I think a fair amount of the problems last year on run defense was the scheme/personnel groups. DQ routinely put 6 in the box with 1 of them being a converted safety. Smaller guys had to routinely take on a blocker while covering 2 gaps. I think that Mazi or whomever DT they put out there can tie up a blocker. If they put two blockers on him and he gets moved back, that should free up some other defender if there are enough people in the box to cover against the run.

IMO, Zimmer will fix the run defense (at possibly the expense of other things). Solari and Schottenheimer won't fix the run offense.
Tying up a blocker is the smallest job a DT does. If that's all they do, we need better DT's. Much better.

Teams only put 2 blockers on a DT if he is a threat to collapse the pocket. Ordinary DT's do not get doubled.

kskboys

Reaction score
This is an offensive league. RB is the biggest concern. The lack of production hurt last year and will be a glaring weakness this year. If they go into the season with this RB group they will be the worst group in the NFC East.
Unless your goal is the super bowl, then DT is the biggest concern, and it's not close.

kskboys

Reaction score
RB…Zeke is a glorified FB and Rico/Deuce/Malik scares no one.

DT at least has some young talent. Osa is a player and Mazi has a chance to improve. I like our 7th rounder and think he may get PT this season. Guys like Gholston and Fehoko can also flex inside.
Fehoko hasn't been able to play at an NFL level up to now. Osa is more of a rotational type. Crawford clone.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Tying up a blocker is the smallest job a DT does. If that's all they do, we need better DT's. Much better.

Teams only put 2 blockers on a DT if he is a threat to collapse the pocket. Ordinary DT's do not get doubled.
I get that. I would love to see an elite 1T in Dallas. That said, if he just ties up a blocker the run defense isn't going to be completely broken. IMO, the run offense is going to be completely broken.

kskboys

Reaction score
So I wonder in your world is possible to have an above average RB with a bad line?
Yes. Been done many times. Good RB's behind bad lines generall avg 3.8-4.2 YPC. Something like that.

kskboys

Reaction score
I get that. I would love to see an elite 1T in Dallas. That said, if he just ties up a blocker the run defense isn't going to be completely broken. IMO, the run offense is going to be completely broken.
If that's all he does, yes, the run D will be completely broken. Didn't you watch the GB game w/ our DT's tying up a blocker?

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
DT hands down. There will be serviceable RBs in the street as teams cut players. There is not nearly as much D Line talent likely to be available.
I'm curious if WAS would be willing to trade John Ridgeway to DAL. I doubt it though

GINeric

Reaction score
DT, if you can’t stop the run then it will be another early playoff exit.

People fail to realize this. Other teams have gutted us right up the middle far too many times. It's demoralizing to watch. Our offense got blamed far too often for our defense's inability to stop other teams from gashing them on the ground for 170 to 200 yards.

So DT is definitely something to be more concerned about.

SpaceCowboy99

Reaction score
A lot of talk about our RB situation, but almost as often, it has been mentioned that our DT situation was not addressed adequately in the draft either.

So, just curious, if we assume Zeke gets signed, which one gives you stronger concern?

(a) a RB room featuring Zeke and Dowdle as the two leads, Luepke or Freeman getting the FB/ST role, and Vaughn as the change of pace guy

or

(b) a DT rotation that includes Diggyzoo and Chauncey at 3-tech, with Fehoko theoretically also getting into that mix... and Mazi and a 7th rounder Rogers at 1-Tech...

Oh, and just gonna throw this out there... don't be too surprised if, besides Zeke, we also add another vet FA in a minimum contract named James Lynch.

No kidding, Lynch played DE, and 3-tech, and even a little 1-tech for Minny apparently... but mostly 3-tech... after being drafted by Zimmer and his old team out of Baylor in 2020.

Here's why. Of course, we've lost along the D-line Armstrong, Fowler and Gallimore. Sam Williams gets Armstrong snaps conventionally speaking. Tyrus Wheat gets Fowler's snaps. And Fehoko moves into Gallimore's role.

Then, Kneeland comes into camp penciled-in to Williams old third-string slot, with a decent chance to pull ahead of Wheat before game #1. But other than Durrell Johnson on a futures contract, there's really no one to occupy Wheat's old third-string slot. Enter James Lynch... who, quite possibly, would also pull ahead of Wheat, or perhaps would claim the other 3-tech slot and force Fehoko to compete on the edge with Wheat.

Lynch is coming off a lost season due to an ACL tear in preseason. But every indication is that he should be ready for 2024. Knows Zimmer's defense, and one would assume the two have some affection for each other.

The QB situation worries me more than any other spot. We have a mediocre QB that's been living past his means for 8 years and costing us playoff win after playoff win. So yeah, the QB is the most problematic and worrisome position on the Dallas Cowboys.

Cebrin

Reaction score
They're 50/50 in terms of "maybe" we can be solid. This is a league that protects offense, though. More moves should be made.

kskboys

Reaction score
They're 50/50 in terms of "maybe" we can be solid. This is a league that protects offense, though. More moves should be made.
Which is why you need top notch DT's to disrupt the other team's O.

kskboys

Reaction score
The QB situation worries me more than any other spot. We have a mediocre QB that's been living past his means for 8 years and costing us playoff win after playoff win. So yeah, the QB is the most problematic and worrisome position on the Dallas Cowboys.
Psssst. This isn't a Dak thread. Please refrain from making every thread a Dak thread. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!