Which concerns you more: RB situation or DT situation?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Dowdle is somewhere beyond adequate, and somewhere well short of great. He's just played second fiddle and/or been injured all this time.

I think... and this might be a less popular conclusion than the one above... that there is a secret sauce in being Deuce's size that, if the RB is good enough and if his O-line is good enough, will equate to head-turning results. When it takes less space for a RB to fit through a hole, and when there's less of an RB for a defensive player to get his hands on, and when the RB is, by most accounts, blessed with excellent vision, excellent acceleration, and excellent toughness... you've got yourself a player that will shine.

I think Zeke has enough tread left on the tires to be a factor, given limited use and given targeted use.

Turning to the FB side, I'm a little less certain unfortunately, because I felt Luepke would assert himself in a bigger way before the season's end. I fear that that fumble shook not only McC's confidence in him, but his own confidence in himself. My sense is that the reason Freeman was signed was less about competing for a RB slot, so much more about giving Luepke some legit competition in camp for the FB role. I know, I know, Freeman's been an RB in his own right, but so was Luepke until he turned pro. They're almost carbon copies of each other in terms of size. And Freeman last season became a special teams asset unlike he'd ever been before. Thing is, neither one has any great reputation for pass protection in spite of their size. Luepke's advantage likely is that he did seem to learn to block with some efficiency before the season was over, whereas I don't know that Freeman has ever been really asked to do much of that.

So that's my assessment, not that it's anticipated it will be persuasive, just that it's my attempt at reasoned explanation for my conclusion.

But before I click submit, I have to add... I love the non-RB options we have for running the ball, too. Yes, I mean CeeDee, but not just CeeDee. In fact, I'd prefer we ask him to run the ball only once every couple of games just to keep a defense on their toes. Yes, I mean Turpin, too. But/and I'll be thrilled to see if McC decides to utilize his 3rd QB in that way... not just for the novelty of it, but legitimately because the one elite talent that almost universally TL has been recognized as having is his ability to run the ball. He's really good at it. Not just because he's genuinely fast even compared to other NFL RBs (... understood that he recorded the 12th best speed for the season of anyone, any position, on a run a couple of seasons ago). Not just because he's got some size that makes him tougher to bring down. I've mentioned this before, that his HS coach once said that he thought RB would eventually be TL's position... imo, we're wasting a real threat to not incorporate him a play or two or three every game.

"Well but you wouldn't want to have 3 QBs eligible for game day, would you?"

No, I wouldn't.

So, I think key to that notion is how confident McC would be about TL as a QB to merely finish a game if called upon. Think we all readily acknowledge we have to see what TL is capable of this summer.

Ideally? My take is that you make Cooper Rush your emergency QB, and presume that if QB1 goes down, you'll let TL finish that game... but if QB1 is still down the following week and unable to go, Cooper takes over QB1 until Dak would make it back.
I disagree…but nice response.

pancakeman

Reaction score
DT. I kind of have post-draft hopes that the OL can come together and having exceptional RB talent won't be necessary to have a respectable run game. I don't think on the defense side there's another group that can really cover for our thinness at DT in the same way.

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree with you aboutDT. But I disagree that we have “good enough” RBs.

The term “good enough” says it all. It’s not that we must have a HOF RB. But just thinking if you have a really good line, anyone can be effective behind it I believe is short sided. Having a RB capable of taking a minor hole and turning into at least a 20 yard gain keeps a defense honest.

Having a committee of RBs who have no such talent to be that kind of threat make it easy for an NFL defense to be aggressive. A weak running game means Defenses could force Dak to have to throw it more than we should. That’s exactly what defenses want. And basically a formula for the last several playoff frustrations.

IMO, we need a better RB.
It's the strangest thing how so many are convinced that your RB doesn't matter at all, and so they believe any JAG is good enough.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I agree with you aboutDT. But I disagree that we have “good enough” RBs.

The term “good enough” says it all. It’s not that we must have a HOF RB. But just thinking if you have a really good line, anyone can be effective behind it I believe is short sided. Having a RB capable of taking a minor hole and turning into at least a 20 yard gain keeps a defense honest.

Having a committee of RBs who have no such talent to be that kind of threat make it easy for an NFL defense to be aggressive. A weak running game means Defenses could force Dak to have to throw it more than we should. That’s exactly what defenses want. And basically a formula for the last several playoff frustrations.

IMO, we need a better RB.
I think they got some udfa RB's, we could see them in PS games.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does it matter? This is a year of evaluation and change . Do we even know what style offense we'll be running in 2025? Is Zimmer going to stay? Jerry could hire Billcheck then what? This is a year to develop lines and the back 7.
I feel the biggest questions this year are who's the QB in 2025 Lance or a draft pick.?
Do you pay Parsons a load or trade him to get the #1 QB in 2025? If you don't need a QB you can draft a couple assassins.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Would Jerry be vindictive enough to purposely not draft/add a decent running back to see if Dak can earn his pay on his own before giving him a big money deal? Almost looks like it.
The GB debacle sealed Dak’s fate. I can’t stand the fact he will be QB1 again, even if for only a year.

Carson

Reaction score
Does it matter? This is a year of evaluation and change . Do we even know what style offense we'll be running in 2025? Is Zimmer going to stay? Jerry could hire Billcheck then what? This is a year to develop lines and the back 7.
I feel the biggest questions this year are who's the QB in 2025 Lance or a draft pick.?
Do you pay Parsons a load or trade him to get the #1 QB in 2025? If you don't need a QB you can draft a couple assassins.
Definitely glad the coaches and players do not have this mentality as it would be a loooooong season

doomsday9084

Reaction score
IMO the run game is going to be awful next year. The problem isn't and wasn't the O line. Its the scheme which isn't changing. Adding a slow as F Zeke as a lead runner is just going to exacerbate the problems.

DT? Well, I think a fair amount of the problems last year on run defense was the scheme/personnel groups. DQ routinely put 6 in the box with 1 of them being a converted safety. Smaller guys had to routinely take on a blocker while covering 2 gaps. I think that Mazi or whomever DT they put out there can tie up a blocker. If they put two blockers on him and he gets moved back, that should free up some other defender if there are enough people in the box to cover against the run.

IMO, Zimmer will fix the run defense (at possibly the expense of other things). Solari and Schottenheimer won't fix the run offense.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
A lot of talk about our RB situation, but almost as often, it has been mentioned that our DT situation was not addressed adequately in the draft either.

So, just curious, if we assume Zeke gets signed, which one gives you stronger concern?

(a) a RB room featuring Zeke and Dowdle as the two leads, Luepke or Freeman getting the FB/ST role, and Vaughn as the change of pace guy

or

(b) a DT rotation that includes Diggyzoo and Chauncey at 3-tech, with Fehoko theoretically also getting into that mix... and Mazi and a 7th rounder Rogers at 1-Tech...

Oh, and just gonna throw this out there... don't be too surprised if, besides Zeke, we also add another vet FA in a minimum contract named James Lynch.

No kidding, Lynch played DE, and 3-tech, and even a little 1-tech for Minny apparently... but mostly 3-tech... after being drafted by Zimmer and his old team out of Baylor in 2020.

Here's why. Of course, we've lost along the D-line Armstrong, Fowler and Gallimore. Sam Williams gets Armstrong snaps conventionally speaking. Tyrus Wheat gets Fowler's snaps. And Fehoko moves into Gallimore's role.

Then, Kneeland comes into camp penciled-in to Williams old third-string slot, with a decent chance to pull ahead of Wheat before game #1. But other than Durrell Johnson on a futures contract, there's really no one to occupy Wheat's old third-string slot. Enter James Lynch... who, quite possibly, would also pull ahead of Wheat, or perhaps would claim the other 3-tech slot and force Fehoko to compete on the edge with Wheat.

Lynch is coming off a lost season due to an ACL tear in preseason. But every indication is that he should be ready for 2024. Knows Zimmer's defense, and one would assume the two have some affection for each other.

DL always first, build an OL and RB falls in place quickly.
FA RBs love a solid OL.

Sydla

Reaction score
Both are dire but DT moreso because there's a better chance of piecing together a competent run game with spare parts than building a quality DT rotation without real talent.

It's possible a running back or two that is actually pretty good could get cut during camp because overall, the league has depressed the value of the position. At least we had better hope that's the case because Elliott, Dowdle and Vaughn is a total laughfest.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
RB…Zeke is a glorified FB and Rico/Deuce/Malik scares no one.

DT at least has some young talent. Osa is a player and Mazi has a chance to improve. I like our 7th rounder and think he may get PT this season. Guys like Gholston and Fehoko can also flex inside.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Would Jerry be vindictive enough to purposely not draft/add a decent running back to see if Dak can earn his pay on his own before giving him a big money deal? Almost looks like it.
He was vindictive enough to wast a 4th round pick and $5M.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Actually those are questions for next year.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
This is an offensive league. RB is the biggest concern. The lack of production hurt last year and will be a glaring weakness this year. If they go into the season with this RB group they will be the worst group in the NFC East.

Chasing6

Reaction score
This is an offensive league. RB is the biggest concern. The lack of production hurt last year and will be a glaring weakness this year. If they go into the season with this RB group they will be the worst group in the NFC East.
So Pollard was a bad RB last year?

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
DT is a worse situation because another RB will be added after roster cutdowns. Not as many options for DT - teams hang onto good ones. Lots more good RBs get cut than DTs.

31RoyW31

Reaction score
I’m by no means a Dak hater but if his cap hit is more than 30m this team is going nowhere. There’s always gonna be a hole somewhere. This year it’s DT and RB.
I agree 30 million is the max I would pay Dak. Plus I wouldn’t include a no trade clause. Let him walk!