Which direction do the Cowboys go at QB in 2021?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The level of success HC’s have moving to other teams is usually reliant on their talent.

This very true but many here don't realize that McCarthy had a lot of input on what free agents were signed and what players were drafted. With that he was 1-8 getting to the Super Bowl and he has a lot less control on talent here. Yet many here think he's going to be another Jimmy Johnson, who incidentally didn't have all the power and authority many here think he had.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
While true there are examples of coaches who did well with one team, but not as well with the next, but the same applies in the other direction. Shula, Andy Reid, Jon Gruden etc …

I think it all just depends on circumstances.

I don't think Johnson is a good example of the side you discussed because it's unreasonable to think he could or should do as well as
2 SB wins in 5 years with another team.

This is true to some extent but Johnson in 4 years with the dolphins didn't even come close to a Super Bowl let alone a win yet many here say it was all Johnson for the Super Bowl wins of the 90's even though it wasn't all Johnson. During the pregame for Super Bowl XLV in Dallas in a round tab;e discussion, Johnson admitted that he didn't have all the power and authority that most outside the Cowboys thought he had and that it really irked him having to go to Jones for things and decisions he thought he should have be able to make.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This very true but many here don't realize that McCarthy had a lot of input on what free agents were signed and what players were drafted. With that he was 1-8 getting to the Super Bowl and he has a lot less control on talent here. Yet many here think he's going to be another Jimmy Johnson, who incidentally didn't have all the power and authority many here think he had.
Framing the argument he was 1-8 in reaching the Super Bowl is an attempt to spin a negative view. I don’t believe I’ve seen his record at Green Bay presented in such fashion.

If you wanted to present a more supportive spin you could state he made it to 2 Super Bowls, 3 conference championship games and 8 straight playoff appearances.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is true to some extent but Johnson in 4 years with the dolphins didn't even come close to a Super Bowl let alone a win yet many here say it was all Johnson for the Super Bowl wins of the 90's even though it wasn't all Johnson. During the pregame for Super Bowl XLV in Dallas in a round tab;e discussion, Johnson admitted that he didn't have all the power and authority that most outside the Cowboys thought he had and that it really irked him having to go to Jones for things and decisions he thought he should have be able to make.
No doubt Jerry deserves more credit for some of the success with Jimmy. Not all owners would have agreed to everything Jimmy wanted.

After going to Miami their owner for example wouldn’t agree to trade Marino which Jimmy wanted to bring in some draft picks to rebuild quickly like had done in Dallas.

I often have said Tex might not have agreed to trade Herschel who was the benchmark deal to our success with Jimmy.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I remember watching post game highlights of Romo’s first ever pre season game on Fox. Terry Bradshaw said something to the effect of “how about that Romo kid, the cowboys may have something there”. I wish I could find the old video of it. But Bradshaw pegged it from the start.

That's exactly it, Romo is a guy that shined "when the lights went on" and he was better in games than in practice. Dak is the same way.

That one time I saw him in TC he had never taken a snap in an NFL game and they were just running plays. There was nothing about him that stood out, but Drew Henson had a gun for an arm and looked the part. It really tells you how much of the game is mental.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Obviously we still have some fans who support our ownership and why the message must continue getting pounded . Each situation presents another opportunity.

Only two of the players who were franchise tagged agreed to extension. If people aren't crying about Dallas not doing so (with an agent famous for overpayments) it doesn't mean those people are blindly supporting management. It means they are reasonably objective instead of starting long dumb threads about the situation.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Framing the argument he was 1-8 in reaching the Super Bowl is an attempt to spin a negative view. I don’t believe I’ve seen his record at Green Bay presented in such fashion.

If you wanted to present a more supportive spin you could state he made it to 2 Super Bowls, 3 conference championship games and 8 straight playoff appearances.

You need to recheck your stats. McCarthy only made it to one Super Bowl with the packers, 2010.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Only two of the players who were franchise tagged agreed to extension. If people aren't crying about Dallas not doing so (with an agent famous for overpayments) it doesn't mean those people are blindly supporting management. It means they are reasonably objective instead of starting long dumb threads about the situation.
Have you even read some of the criticism on our ownerships handling of our QB’s contract and the possible effects in our local papers and beat writers?

Kaiser

Reaction score
Have you even read some of the criticism on our ownerships handling of our QB’s contract and the possible effects in our local papers and beat writers?

If your argument is based on the JJ Taylor's of the world, you lost before you started.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If your argument is based on the JJ Taylor's of the world, you lost before you started.
Any Cowboy fan who wouldn’t follow our great reporting and opinions from our local papers isn’t a fan I’d usually be interested in hearing from.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Sorry I hurt your feelings, JJ !!
Not at all . I don’t always agree with Jacque but I’d certainly be more apt to listen to him than most of these anonymous Internet Fans.

Plus there’s many others who I’d align with more.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
No doubt Jerry deserves more credit for some of the success with Jimmy. Not all owners would have agreed to everything Jimmy wanted.

After going to Miami their owner for example wouldn’t agree to trade Marino which Jimmy wanted to bring in some draft picks to rebuild quickly like had done in Dallas.

I often have said Tex might not have agreed to trade Herschel who was the benchmark deal to our success with Jimmy.

Some of that is true and some isn't. Many people think it was Johnson who wanted to trade Walker. It was Jones but since Johnson had some history with the viking's GM, Jones let Johnson do the negotiating. And then if it was left to Johnson neither Aikman nor Emmitt would have been Cowboys. When Aikman was deciding to transfer from OU, Johnson tried to get Aikman to transfer to Miami but Aikman turned him down and went to UCLA. Then in the 1989 draft Johnson wanted to use the #1 pick on Tony Mandarich because he had convinced Jones to later take his QB at Miami, Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft which they did. Jones told Johnson that the Cowboys would take Aikman with that 1st pick. Then in 1990 he talked Jones into trading up to the 17th pick so they could draft LB James Francis and about a minute after the trade was done the bengals took Francis so Johnson then said the Cowboys would draft LB Tony Bennett but Jones put his foot down again and said they would take Emmitt. Johnson didn't want Emmitt for the same reason as Aikman because he too turned down a scholarship at Miami and went to Florida instead.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Any Cowboy fan who wouldn’t follow our great reporting and opinions from our local papers isn’t a fan I’d usually be interested in hearing from.

Gee Skip Bayless got fired from the Fort Worth Star Telegram because he kept writing bad things about the Cowboys and things that were not true until he lost his credentials with the Cowboys. The paper said if you can't cover the biggest spots anything in Dallas you're of no use to this paper and was fired. So just because someone in a local paper writes something doesn't make it necessarily true.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Some of that is true and some isn't. Many people think it was Johnson who wanted to trade Walker. It was Jones but since Johnson had some history with the viking's GM, Jones let Johnson do the negotiating. And then if it was left to Johnson neither Aikman nor Emmitt would have been Cowboys. When Aikman was deciding to transfer from OU, Johnson tried to get Aikman to transfer to Miami but Aikman turned him down and went to UCLA. Then in the 1989 draft Johnson wanted to use the #1 pick on Tony Mandarich because he had convinced Jones to later take his QB at Miami, Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft which they did. Jones told Johnson that the Cowboys would take Aikman with that 1st pick. Then in 1990 he talked Jones into trading up to the 17th pick so they could draft LB James Francis and about a minute after the trade was done the bengals took Francis so Johnson then said the Cowboys would draft LB Tony Bennett but Jones put his foot down again and said they would take Emmitt. Johnson didn't want Emmitt for the same reason as Aikman because he too turned down a scholarship at Miami and went to Florida instead.
I’m not certain of all of the particulars and too lazy to look it up. Jerry As GM deserves credit for making or approving the deals.Regardless they don’t come to fruition without Jimmy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Gee Skip Bayless got fired from the Fort Worth Star Telegram because he kept writing bad things about the Cowboys and things that were not true until he lost his credentials with the Cowboys. The paper said if you can't cover the biggest spots anything in Dallas you're of no use to this paper and was fired. So just because someone in a local paper writes something doesn't make it necessarily true.
Skippy was a Cowboys troll and ran out of town. He’s still inciting to spark reactions.

And it’s not about being true. It’s about aligning with what you believe. And if you believe it to be true then it’s gospel.

I’ve never personally known any Cowboy fans who didn’t closely follow and respect most of the Dallas beat writers. That doesn’t mean you have to agree with them all.

And that doesn’t count our areas most visible radio and tv personalities in Galloway and Hansen who are legend in Dallas .

Last edited:

cern

Reaction score
Of course I do. It’s bashing how our ownership is running football operations. Unfortunately it can become repetitive as their flaws continue to be a deterrent for Cowboys Football over the decades.

Obviously we still have some fans who support our ownership and why the message must continue getting pounded . Each situation presents another opportunity.
So this is what defines your existence? Get a hobby. Read a book. Do something constructive.

cern

Reaction score
I don't think skippy ever worked for the star telegram. Dallas times herald and dallas morning news. Maybe you're thinking about randy Galloway?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Of course I do. It’s bashing how our ownership is running football operations. Unfortunately it can become repetitive as their flaws continue to be a deterrent for Cowboys Football over the decades.

You’re so focused on bashing the Cowboys front office that it didn’t matter if Dak signed or not.

With Prescott playing on the franchise tag, you say that Stephen is penny pinching and hurt the team because he is being too frugal and should have given the extra cash to close the deal. That the team is poised to win everywhere except QB now because Dallas is a team lost in the wilderness without Dak playing on a long term deal. (Never mind that Dak will play in Dallas next year and that the team can pick up negotiations after the season. Not to mention that you have said on here many times that Dak is average and wondered aloud if the team wouldn’t be better off without him.)

However, had Prescott signed his deal, I have zero doubt that you’d be on here talking about Jerry caving in to his demands and pointing out that you don’t think Dak is worth the money and that they would have been better off with a different QB.

Because the only thing that bothers you more than the Cowboys front office, is fans praising that front office. You seem to take it upon yourself to come on here to make sure that the fans don’t actually feel like Jerry and Stephen did a good job in standing their ground to a player that was playing hardball. A guy hellbent on being paid like the best QB in the league... a QB, by the way, that you have openly questioned his play.

So Dallas was damned if they did and damned if they didn’t with you because you could condemn their decision regardless of what they did. You admit that you feel the need to educate fans on why the front office is bad. That seems a little obsessive, to be honest... particularly when you do so no matter which decision the team makes.

Speaking for myself, I’m glad that they drew a line and didn’t cave in to demands that seemed, at least with what we know, to be borderline unreasonable. I agree that it is a benefit to the team to see Dak under McCarthy before signing him to a long term deal. Plus, with the financial uncertainty that is inherent during this pandemic, I think it was the smart way to go with Dak’s demands.... maybe smart for both sides. Not many of the franchise tagged players actually signed a new deal, likely for similar reasons.

And there are plenty of fans that feel the same way. Most people see that the front office makes mistakes but they also make some good decisions sometimes. IMO, there is nothing wrong with giving Stephen and Jerry credit when they do something right. It just seems so disingenuous to blast them no matter what they do.

JMO