Which direction do the Cowboys go at QB in 2021?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We should have seen enough of Daks ability to know whether we want him as our franchise QB.

Haggling over a few million bucks is just part the business side. It rarely determines teams letting their guys walk.

Everyone basically over pays their QB. If they are any good at all.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
That appears to be the most ridiculous means to evaluate talent. If the team has success he must be worth it.

Based on your technique all players on non winning teams are totally useless, not worth their salary. Lol

It's probably one of the only issues Dak will face....if we dont win he's not the answer.

Ill explain his predicament if we dont succeed.

In 2020 the excuses stop.
2020 is our best chance to win, our roster wont be significantly improved 2021,2022 and possibly 2023
He's got one of the best offences we've produced in years.
JG has gone.
If for some reason the offence doesnt score (even if its not Dak's fault) we'll have to start again, this is a win now team.
If we fail to win due to defensive issues we dont have the CAP availability to significantly strengthen it and pay Dak.

If he doesnt succeed in 2020 it'll be MM's choice how to spend the money.... and his job is to win, not to sign popular players who despite good stats hasnt yet proved he's a winner.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
We should have seen enough of Daks ability to know whether we want him as our franchise QB.

Haggling over a few million bucks is just part the business side. It rarely determines teams letting their guys walk.

Everyone basically over pays their QB. If they are any good at all.

Its the kind of thinking the Cowboys have used in the 26 years of no Championship Games.

It's nothing to do with 'us', its MM's opinion that matters. He may suggest money is better spent on Defense and get a bus driver to play the excellent offence.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Its the kind of thinking the Cowboys have used in the 26 years of no Championship Games.

It's nothing to do with 'us', its MM's opinion that matters. He may suggest money is better spent on Defense and get a bus driver to play the excellent offence.
If Mikey wasn’t All On on Dak Jerry wouldn’t have been interested much like with retaining Moore if didn’t intend on resigning Dak.

And if that’s your intent then he won’t be cheaper than last week to sign. And why this was handled poorly if interested in money Mgmt.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's probably one of the only issues Dak will face....if we dont win he's not the answer.

Ill explain his predicament if we dont succeed.

In 2020 the excuses stop.
2020 is our best chance to win, our roster wont be significantly improved 2021,2022 and possibly 2023
He's got one of the best offences we've produced in years.
JG has gone.
If for some reason the offence doesnt score (even if its not Dak's fault) we'll have to start again, this is a win now team.
If we fail to win due to defensive issues we dont have the CAP availability to significantly strengthen it and pay Dak.

If he doesnt succeed in 2020 it'll be MM's choice how to spend the money.... and his job is to win, not to sign popular players who despite good stats hasnt yet proved he's a winner.
So if Dak doesn’t provide us our best chance to win now, who does? And how many years do we waste with this core talent base looking for or developing one?

No, we should be all in on Dak after 4 years then we will have to live with the results of those decisions we made.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
So if Dak doesn’t provide us our best chance to win now, who does? And how many years do we waste with this core talent base looking for or developing one?

No, we should be all in on Dak after 4 years then we will have to live with the results of those decisions we made.

Its this "we're doomed" approach from people who appear more Dak than Cowboys fans.

In reality if it was beneficial to the team then JJ/SJ would have given what Dak wanted.

How can you say, when you're just a fan, that JJ isnt putting the team first. Its his team, it's his money and if you're going to criticise him its not for not for the level of spending money.

Dak has 2020 to show us.....the point is that CAP money becomes so tight in 2021 (even if we restructure contracts) that we cant retain most of the players we have let alone improve weaknesses.

Thats the choice and why JJ needs to be sure that Dak can steer this team to success.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Now that we’ve come to grips with the shocking news yesterday the Cowboys have passed on resigning their QB which direction do you think we will go?

We have a top offense ready to contend now. Will we look to the draft as we most likely won’t have a high draft pick or will we look to FA for a veteran to step in.

This is a team built to contend now hiring a proven coaching staff brought in to win now. This is not a rebuilding situation.

The Cowboys decision yesterday regardless what side of the fence you’re on definitely sets our franchise moving forward in a different direction with the most important position in doubt.

As much as I hope that McCarthy and his staff do better than Garrett and win the Super Bowl, I'm a little less inclined to proclaim that McCarthy is going to do anything right away. There have been coaches that did well with one team and not nearly as well on the next team. Example when Jimmy Johnson left Dallas and went to the dolphins, they didn't come anywhere close to what he did with the Cowboys. Now McCarthy did win a Super Bowl but he also came up short 8 other times in the playoffs. Belicheat is 6-3 in Super Bowls and McCarthy is 1-8 just getting to the Super Bowl. Again I hope the Cowboys win the Super Bowl but I'm going to hold off on any proclamations until they actually deliver.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Its this "we're doomed" approach from people who appear more Dak than Cowboys fans.

In reality if it was beneficial to the team then JJ/SJ would have given what Dak wanted.

How can you say, when you're just a fan, that JJ isnt putting the team first. Its his team, it's his money and if you're going to criticise him its not for not for the level of spending money.

Dak has 2020 to show us.....the point is that CAP money becomes so tight in 2021 (even if we restructure contracts) that we cant retain most of the players we have let alone improve weaknesses.

Thats the choice and why JJ needs to be sure that Dak can steer this team to success.
First of all you’re assuming Jerry makes the best decisions for Cowboy Football which isn’t something I buy into. He has illustrated time after time despite his well intentions to make poor choices.

It’s amazing that we continue the need to see team success before committing to resigning Dak as though our QB has total control over the success of the team. Basically we’re saying winning and losing falls squarely on our QB’s shoulders.

The criticism towards Jerry in this decision is two folds. One if Dak is our guy then he won’t be cheaper next year. And two this leaves the vulnerability that we haven’t secured our franchise QB moving forward on a team that appears talented enough to be a contender for next few years.

Without a franchise QB that is in question whether we can be a contender. There’s no guarantees that Dak is enough to lead it further. There’s no guarantees we have enough talent in the supporting cast on both sides of the ball to take us further.

It’s laughable some fans are waiting on more team success to validate that Dak is enough or worth his contract demands. That’s all part of managing a team and evaluating your talent. You have to make a leap of faith based on the evidence you have and production you’ve seen.

It’s about who provides your team now and the immediate future the best opportunity to contend . Again with no guarantees that some fans are seeking. 32 teams assemble a team they hope can contend and most come up short every year. That’s all part of it.

If they all waited on their QB to validate he can lead them to a Super Bowl we wouldn’t have very many franchise QB’s.

Last edited:

cern

Reaction score
The odds of that happening aren’t as likely since the price will be much higher than this year.

Why would our FO be willing to pay several million a year more than this year?
the obviousness of how stephen deals with contracts seems to have escaped you. he might be tagged again, but no way stephen will give in to outrageous demands and short term deals. that's bad business. remember the pie.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
the obviousness of how stephen deals with contracts seems to have escaped you. he might be tagged again, but no way stephen will give in to outrageous demands and short term deals. that's bad business. remember the pie.
Cheapskate Stephen dealings with contracts hasn’t impressed me. This is another case if this is the guy you want.

He’s willing to risk the success of the team without a Franchise QB moving forward to pump his chest saying he didn’t give in to Daks demands.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
As much as I hope that McCarthy and his staff do better than Garrett and win the Super Bowl, I'm a little less inclined to proclaim that McCarthy is going to do anything right away. There have been coaches that did well with one team and not nearly as well on the next team. Example when Jimmy Johnson left Dallas and went to the dolphins, they didn't come anywhere close to what he did with the Cowboys. Now McCarthy did win a Super Bowl but he also came up short 8 other times in the playoffs. Belicheat is 6-3 in Super Bowls and McCarthy is 1-8 just getting to the Super Bowl. Again I hope the Cowboys win the Super Bowl but I'm going to hold off on any proclamations until they actually deliver.
The level of success HC’s have moving to other teams is usually reliant on their talent.

cern

Reaction score
Cheapskate Stephen dealings with contracts hasn’t impressed me. This is another case if this is the guy you want.

He’s willing to risk the success of the team without a Franchise QB moving forward to pump his chest saying he didn’t give in to Daks demands.
You're just being deliberately obtuse. I doubt your career selling insurance equates to Stephen making 100 million dollar deals. Just another example of your hatred of Jerry and Stephen. Whatever rocks your boat.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

While true there are examples of coaches who did well with one team, but not as well with the next, but the same applies in the other direction. Shula, Andy Reid, Jon Gruden etc …

I think it all just depends on circumstances.

I don't think Johnson is a good example of the side you discussed because it's unreasonable to think he could or should do as well as
2 SB wins in 5 years with another team.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
It’s laughable some fans are waiting on more team success to validate that Dak is enough or worth his contract demands. That’s all part of managing a team and evaluating your talent. You have to make a leap of faith based on the evidence you have and production you’ve seen.

It’s about who provides your team now and the immediate future the best opportunity to contend . .

Ill just reply to these two paragraphs.

The Dak situation is such because we dont seem to progress as a team.

If you like stats....fine, youve got your man. Myself, i'd prefer we win, For me this is where the problems start.

1) We've had a top ranking offense for a few years and we dont seem to achieve. I'm not totally blame Dak for this, I agree there are other factors.
2) If we dont go deep into the playoff this year then it'll be down to either:
a) Coaching (well we've just got a new HC and time would be given),
b) Defense - we're losing a number to free agency in 2021 and very limited CAP SPACE to improve.
c) Offence - Dak wont be able to work MM's offence.
3) Remember that the last time we had a play-off win (2018), it was the Defense that carried the team.

If you read my signature, you'll see I was ,and still am, a fan of Dak......but weighing up an inflated short term contract (which hamstrings MM from the start) or giving MM a look at Dak and the team then deciding I pick the latter.

cern

Reaction score
While true there are examples of coaches who did well with one team, but not as well with the next, but the same applies in the other direction. Shula, Andy Reid, Jon Gruden etc …

I think it all just depends on circumstances.

I don't think Johnson is a good example of the side you discussed because it's unreasonable to think he could or should do as well as
2 SB wins in 5 years with another team.
Jimmy also wanted to trade marino and make another splash. But ownwr huizinga wouldn't let him.

fivetwos

Reaction score
You're just being deliberately obtuse. I doubt your career selling insurance equates to Stephen making 100 million dollar deals. Just another example of your hatred of Jerry and Stephen. Whatever rocks your boat.
Well they certainly earned a lot of that hatred.

They arent qualified to do what they insist on doing and the results speak for themselves.

Any success that was ever experienced here was becuase of Jimmy Johnson, and residual of that after he left.

I think thirty plus years of doing something without a shred of success may prove a certain something.

The difference between Stephen Jones doing 100M dollar deals and many of us around here is that our daddy didnt buy the team.

Theres no case to be made that either one of them is a successful "football man," and when the reality sets in that the two guys running my team would never be considered for one second by any other, its discouraging.

cern

Reaction score
Well they certainly earned a lot of that hatred.

They arent qualified to do what they insist on doing and the results speak for themselves.

Any success that was ever experienced here was becuase of Jimmy Johnson, and residual of that after he left.

I think thirty plus years of doing something without a shred of success may prove a certain something.

The difference between Stephen Jones doing 100M dollar deals and many of us around here is that our daddy didnt buy the team.

Theres no case to be made that either one of them is a successful "football man," and when the reality sets in that the two guys running my team would never be considered for one second by any other, its discouraging.
Jerry was never qualified to be a gm. Stephen, on the other hand is highly qualified to deal with contracts and cap issues. And he listens to will mcclay regarding personnel. They miss on occasion but get it right far more often. Denying this is just plain ignorance.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think we draft a guy and sign a Big name vet. Dont see Dak being offered a deal. If we do try to tag him,its just going to be a tag and trade scenario. Said it before, Jerry doesnt forget or forgive easily. Barring an unlikely SB run and win, he's gone. Thats the truth.