Which draft pick are you most excited to see

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Parsons, of course. He has the physical ability and the alpha personality to make a huge impact on this defense.

However, I’m also excited to see Golston. The guy is just a good football player. He actually reminds me a little of a young DeMarcus Lawrence. He’s solid against the run, always is in the right place and can get to the QB. I think he’s being slept on a little bit and IMO, the guy is going to help this team, this season.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Parsons, of course. He has the physical ability and the alpha personality to make a huge impact on this defense.

However, I’m also excited to see Golston. The guy is just a good football player. He actually reminds me a little of a young DeMarcus Lawrence. He’s solid against the run, always is in the right place and can get to the QB. I think he’s being slept on a little bit and IMO, the guy is going to help this team this season.
I thought Cox was a sneaky pic but Golston was solid.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I thought Cox was a sneaky pic but Golston was solid.
I wasn’t a huge fan of Cox before the draft, but that was in large part because I thought he’d cost a second round pick and I didn’t see him as a complete LB. He’s very good in the passing game (he just has a knack for and an understanding of pass defense)… but he isn’t that good against the run at this point.

However, getting him in the fourth round completely changes how I view that acquisition. He is a more than solid addition to some sub-packages and is the prototypical coverage LB. I think his addition is a very good one for Quinn and gives Dallas some flexibility in their nickel/dime.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Why would he play a significant role if he isnt any good? You think all it takes to be a great run stopper is size? We had Poe here last year and he didnt do diddly. Bohanna was a 6th round pick for a reason. I doubt we see much of him this year unless there are big injuries. Just sayin............I wouldnt get your hopes up.

Why did we draft him if he isn't any good? Wouldn't that be the relevant question?

I'm working under the assumption that he has something to offer.
To boil something down to one aspect such as size is rarely the right approach but for simplicity of written discussion, yes his size is a primary asset when it comes to being a run stopper.
Add youthful exuberance (which the vets we added didn't have), you've got a good start.
Now add in the relative simplicity of what he needs to do to be effective. His assignments will not be complex. Not saying there isn't a lot to learn to become a complete player but in his rookie year we primarily need him to an anchor.
Also factor in that in today's NFL he will probably be playing less snaps than he was in college (just guessing) so I'm not seeing over usage as a likely detriment. Maybe by the time playoffs roll around.

So, I add all that up & am hopeful that he can indeed be a factor in our run defense that will make it easier for our other guys to fill the lanes rather than first contact being 5-8 yards downfield. If not, my hopes for the season go down dramatically.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Why did we draft him if he isn't any good? Wouldn't that be the relevant question?

I'm working under the assumption that he has something to offer.
To boil something down to one aspect such as size is rarely the right approach but for simplicity of written discussion, yes his size is a primary asset when it comes to being a run stopper.
Add youthful exuberance (which the vets we added didn't have), you've got a good start.
Now add in the relative simplicity of what he needs to do to be effective. His assignments will not be complex. Not saying there isn't a lot to learn to become a complete player but in his rookie year we primarily need him to an anchor.
Also factor in that in today's NFL he will probably be playing less snaps than he was in college (just guessing) so I'm not seeing over usage as a likely detriment. Maybe by the time playoffs roll around.

So, I add all that up & am hopeful that he can indeed be a factor in our run defense that will make it easier for our other guys to fill the lanes rather than first contact being 5-8 yards downfield. If not, my hopes for the season go down dramatically.

How many 6th rounders turn out to be good? How many for the Cowboys turn out to be good? Have you read about him? Now Bohanna may be a factor at some point, but this first year probably not if at all.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
How many 6th rounders turn out to be good? How many for the Cowboys turn out to be good? Have you read about him? Now Bohanna may be a factor at some point, but this first year probably not if at all.
I'm choosing to be optimistic. Don't know what else to tell you.

quickccc

Reaction score
Quinn being able to succeed relies heavily on what he can do with the DTs on hand, and while people dont want to hear it, T Hill is more than likely the starting 1T, Gallimore.
Finding the true 1T is key, have more options at the 3T, but if Quinn cant find his true 1T than his ability to flex from 3-4 to 4-3 is substantially stalled.

The only good thing that i can say that has come out with the departures of DL coaches within the last 2 years with Marinelli and Tomsula, is this current Quinn coaching retains
DT coach Leon Lett. Obviously there is something that has really appeal about Lett into three coaching generations with the Cowboys.
I'll go out on a limb is as to they love how he teaches and instructs on quick first step and get off among the interior.

That's supposed "quick twitch" trait of both Hill and Gallimore and being legit 305 pounds also should help too with their respective starting bid as 3-4 ends, and 4-3 tackles
I could see Hill starting as a 3-4 end at 305 lbs, and switching to a nickel interior rusher when we go to 4 man front, since we'll basically be playing nickel most of the time.

Otherwise - i don't see Hill starting as a pure 1 tech in a 4-man front, as his game is not truly 2 gapping, and being a space eater vs the run. That true type of player is what has been so sorely missing
from the Marinelli days who preferred movement and quick-twitch over size and bulk. (though interesting that Marinelli has big body John Hankins up there in Radas land)

And i'm laughing at the supposed prediction that Hill is jeopardy of being cut - if i'm having that kind of athleticism and potential, and he again re-emerges as he did per last year's camp.
you can bet i'm keeping him around even if he's a rotation depth role - never know when unfortunate serious injuries else can occur.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The only good thing that i can say that has come out with the departures of DL coaches within the last 2 years with Marinelli and Tomsula, is this current Quinn coaching retains
DT coach Leon Lett. Obviously there is something that has really appeal about Lett into three coaching generations with the Cowboys.
I'll go out on a limb is as to they love how he teaches and instructs on quick first step and get off among the interior.

That's supposed "quick twitch" trait of both Hill and Gallimore and being legit 305 pounds also should help too with their respective starting bid as 3-4 ends, and 4-3 tackles
I could see Hill starting as a 3-4 end at 305 lbs, and switching to a nickel interior rusher when we go to 4 man front, since we'll basically be playing nickel most of the time.

Otherwise - i don't see Hill starting as a pure 1 tech in a 4-man front, as his game is not truly 2 gapping, and being a space eater vs the run. That true type of player is what has been so sorely missing
from the Marinelli days who preferred movement and quick-twitch over size and bulk. (though interesting that Marinelli has big body John Hankins up there in Radas land)

And i'm laughing at the supposed prediction that Hill is jeopardy of being cut - if i'm having that kind of athleticism and potential, and he again re-emerges as he did per last year's camp.
you can bet i'm keeping him around even if he's a rotation depth role - never know when unfortunate serious injuries else can occur.
Couldnt agree more about Lett, and he definitely has more to work with now than he has since being here.
Fan base gets upset because we didnt land a top target like Tomlinson, I would have loved it to, but its not like total table scraps for Lett and Quinn to work with, DL is upgraded, the margin of upgrade is forthcoming.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I wasn’t a huge fan of Cox before the draft, but that was in large part because I thought he’d cost a second round pick and I didn’t see him as a complete LB. He’s very good in the passing game (he just has a knack for and an understanding of pass defense)… but he isn’t that good against the run at this point.

However, getting him in the fourth round completely changes how I view that acquisition. He is a more than solid addition to some sub-packages and is the prototypical coverage LB. I think his addition is a very good one for Quinn and gives Dallas some flexibility in their nickel/dime.
I remember seeing Cox on the board near or at the top of the analysts list when reviewing and grading best available, and thinking it would be great value but doubt we take him, we never take that top guy off that list...
Sneaky pick right there for Quinn, and when I first started realizing how much leverage he has already been given to bring in his type of personal,, which is a very good thing IMHO.