Which of Dallas' 5 Super Bowl champions was the best?

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
1992 is the easy answer, as it's the first they won in my lifetime, but from watching old games, seeing interviews, reading articles and such I'd be willing to put that 1977 team up against any of the others and against pretty much any other Superbowl Championship team.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
For me it was Superbowl 28, we finally won back to back, that day the Cowboys joined the elite in NFL lore!

mmohican29

Reaction score
The 1992 Dallas Cowboys- I believe -were the greatest football team to ever take the field. What made them special was this was a team that did not know exactly how good it was.

After some opening game jitters in the NFC title game, this team dominated the heavily favored Niners from pretty much start to finish. After a bad coaching decision by JJ to go for a 4th down conversion deep in Niner territory leading by 11 failed, they held off a rally to win the NFC title by 10 pts on the road to another great, great football team.

The Bills never stood a chance in the Super Bowl. Its performance in the Super Bowl was a snapshot of what made the '92 Cowboys great- a mix of an intense fear of failure, hunger for success, mental toughness and talent, and supreme execution when it shook the nervousness of youth. For my money, no team in football history following that win in SF could have beaten the Cowboys in a championship game on a neutral field. None.

Manster68

Reaction score
MrKennedyKennedy;2434066 said:
5 Cowboy teams have hoisted the Lombardi Trophy at the end of the season.

Which of them was the best team EVER to wear the helmets with the blue star?

1971?

1977?

1992?

1993?

1995?

I rank it like this:

I just rewatched all five of these games from that DVD collection.

Had Dallas wasn't so banged up in 1993, they would have been at the top I believe.

BTW, to those young Cowboy fans, that 1971 team was awesome!

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
Of the recent three I've seen, have to go with '92.

I've seen and analyzed a lot of stuff about all the great Cowboys teams, but I shouldn't really try to comment on them because I wasn't around to witness their glory.

You oldies are damn lucky to have seen those Cowboys teams. hahaha
:bow::bow:

Manster68

Reaction score
mmohican29;2434294 said:
The 1992 Dallas Cowboys were the greatest football team to ever take the field. What made them special was this was a team that did not know exactly how good it was.

After some opening game jitters, this team dominated the heavily favored Niners from pretty much start to finish. After a bad coaching decision by JJ to go for a 4th down conversion deep in Niner territory leading by 11 failed, they held off a rally to win the NFC title by 10 pts on the road to another great, great football team.

The Bills never stood a chance in the Super Bowl. For my money, no team in football history following that win in SF could have beaten the Cowboys in a championship game on a neutral field.

You know, I never got mad at Jimmy for going for it in the 1992 NFC Championship game? After so many years of Landry conservatism, I loved how Jimmy displayed the gumption to let it fly on occasion.

However, if I were the coach, I would have kicked the field goal. It would have been a two touchdown game at that time.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
1992. I wasn't a Cowboys fan when they won the first two. Became a Cowboys fan (converted from being a Commanders fan) when Dallas drafted Tony Dorsett (thank you, Seattle).

That 1992 Super Bowl was special.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
1977 ... that was the best defense we ever fielded.

that defense was so dominant it was scary.

1992....that was as complete of a team as you will ever see.

jcollins28

Reaction score
1992 you could even make a fairly strong argument that the 92 team is one of the best in NFL history. That team was scary deep and had loads of talent.

J-DOG

Reaction score
That 77 team was the most dominant defensive team Dallas has ever had.
Martin led the league in sacks and Randy White was in his prime.
Harvey Martin could not be stopped that year.
To me that was the best Super Bowl team Dallas has ever had.
You had the feeling watching those games that our defense would not allow us to lose the game.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
1971 Super Bowl VI for me. Roger was the MVP. Bob Lilly was a beast. Chuck Howley proved he was the best big game player in the NFL. Tom Landry deserved to win. Miami was supposed to be a juggernaut on Offense and Doomsday held them to 3 points, still the lowest in Super Bowl History.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
J-DOG;2434351 said:
That 77 team was the most dominant defensive team Dallas has ever had.
Martin led the league in sacks and Randy White was in his prime.
Harvey Martin could not be stopped that year.
To me that was the best Super Bowl team Dallas has ever had.
You had the feeling watching those games that our defense would not allow us to lose the game.

you betcha..

i have that game on dvd and they look like a pack of wolves.

all you have to do is look at my sig pic. to know my fave 3 players on defense while growing up.

on a side note....the 1979 nfc championship game at texas stadium against tampa bay was one of the most dominant performances i've ever seen.

harvey martin and too tall went off baby!!

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
MrKennedyKennedy;2434066 said:
5 Cowboy teams have hoisted the Lombardi Trophy at the end of the season.

Which of them was the best team EVER to wear the helmets with the blue star?

1971?

1977?

1992?

1993?

1995?

1977 they were #1 and #2 in the league (not just conference) in offense and defense

RoadRunner

Reaction score
The case must be made for 1995 and the victory over the Steelers. I mean think about it for a moment.... the Cowboys beat the Steelers in a SB.

I love to get in Steeler fan faces about this as they scream conspiracy but the facts are:

Dallas NEVER trailed in the game.

Dallas won by 10 points.

Dallas' margin of victory was greater than the combined margin of victory of both Steeler wins.

Dallas ruined the Steeler's former perfect record in SB games.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
Oh, one more bit of trivia regarding Super Bowl 6. The game was played 01/16/1972. This was the only game in the calendar year of 1972 that the Miami Dolphins lost.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Crushing the Orange Crush...............