Which of Dallas' 5 Super Bowl champions was the best?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Everson24;2434247 said:
1977 I just wish we could have met Pittsburgh that year instead of Denver. Our defense was absolutely devastating that year.

We actually did play them that yr, most forget. We somehow lost to them during the regular season.

As others have mentioned that defense was as dominant as we ever had. The Pitt game was one of only FOUR games all season where we gave up 300 yds or more. An amazing SEVEN games during the regular season (that was half then) teams failed to gain even 200 yds on us, including 6 of the first 8 games (when we were 8-0). In 8 games we held the other team to under 100 yds passing. Sacks were unofficial, but we have credit for 53. I've read comments about how Harvey Martin had unofficial credit for 23, and probably should have credit for at least 3 or 4 others. Opposing teams for the SEASON completed only 41.6% of their passes against us, with a QB rating of 43.3

Pretty amazing season.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I think the best Super Bowl teams were the 1977 (devastating defense) and the 1992 (most balanced and deepest team) teams. Yesterday I bought a DVD set with the Cowboys's 10 greatest games. The set has all five Super Bowl wins, the two conference championships against the Whiners in the early 90's, the Vikings playoff game in 1975, the Atlanta playoff game in 1981, and the Packers playoff game in 1996. The DVD set has the entire game, each one on a separate DVD. I have some of these games recorded on VHS tapes, but I always wanted them on DVD. Would make a great Christmas gift.

Manster68

Reaction score
To those who select the 1977 Cowboys defense over the 1971 defense, I respectfully have to disagree with you:

Note: You cannot go wrong with either defense; both were awesome.

However, here is why I take the 1971 Cowboys:

They were a little more veteran group. I believe there was a little bit more camaraderie. They knew their assignments a little better.

The 1971 team was a little frustrated during the first half of the season. This was due to the quarterback controversy primarily. Landry couldn’t or wouldn’t make up his mind. That wasn’t the defenses fault though.
(Had Roger been selected as the starting quarterback in the beginning of the season, then there is a chance that it would have been the Cowboys having a 17-0 season – and this discussion would not be taking place)

The defensive line comparisons I believe are a wash. The 1977 group had a little bit better pass rush, whereas the 1971 group had either the #1 or #2 Rush Defenses in the league for the fifth time in the previous six seasons. That, my friends, is sustained superior performance. Martin, White, and Jones on the pass rush was just freaking incredible though. Larry Cole and Jethro Pugh played on both teams
(Also, if there was ever an unsung hero in Cowboys history, it is George Andrie. Don’t sell this guy short) - (Oh yeah, Bob Lilly was on that defensive line too. Who can say “29-yard sack?)

The linebackers heavily favor the 1971 group. There is just no comparison between Bob Breunig and the great Lee Roy Jordan (why isn’t he in the Hall of Fame?). Chuck Howley (1971) and Hollywood Henderson (1977) wash each other out despite being totally different. Both were fabulous playmakers. Dave Edwards I would give the slight edge over D.D. Lewis (who was on the bench in 1971). But it is Lee Roy Jordan that really tips the scales here.

The secondary also goes to the 1971 group. Waters and Harris were spectacular in 1977 as that legendary safety tandem. However, they were both on the 1971 team as well, with Harris starting. Randy Hughes was an up and coming replacement that was great in 1977, but injuries shortened his career. Benny Barnes and Aaron Kyle were good corners, but not great.

What tips the scales for the 1971 secondary was HALL OF FAMERS Mel Renfro and Herb Adderly. Cornell Green and Cliff Harris were fabulous as well, thus rounding out the Greatest Secondary in Cowboys History.

Last note: Miami’s offense in 1971 (Greise, Czonka, Little, Warfield, Kuchenburg?) was better than Denver’s offense in 1977 (No hall of Famers there).

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Okay, it seems to me that we're clear on which one it's not: 1995. It's interesting that for those who were around for it (which I really wasn't -- I was six at the time, although I think I did watch it), '71 wins. '92 seems to have gotten the most votes overall.

So, taking this into account with my own thoughts on 77, 92 and 93 I'd rank them like this:

1971 (out of deference to comments from our 'old timers')
1992 (out of deference to the voting here)
1977 (personal perspective -- that team was truly dominant)
1993 (odd man out here -- there really isn't much of a drop-off at all from the others to this)
1995 (no brainer)

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
92 team.

Most hungry and very well coached out of the bunch.

Beating that San Fran team on the road showed a lot of coconuts.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Manster68;2434611 said:
To those who select the 1977 Cowboys defense over the 1971 defense, I respectfully have to disagree with you:

Note: You cannot go wrong with either defense; both were awesome.

However, here is why I take the 1971 Cowboys:

They were a little more veteran group. I believe there was a little bit more camaraderie. They knew their assignments a little better.

The 1971 team was a little frustrated during the first half of the season. This was due to the quarterback controversy primarily. Landry couldn’t or wouldn’t make up his mind. That wasn’t the defenses fault though.
(Had Roger been selected as the starting quarterback in the beginning of the season, then there is a chance that it would have been the Cowboys having a 17-0 season – and this discussion would not be taking place)

The defensive line comparisons I believe are a wash. The 1977 group had a little bit better pass rush, whereas the 1971 group had either the #1 or #2 Rush Defenses in the league for the fifth time in the previous six seasons. That, my friends, is sustained superior performance. Martin, White, and Jones on the pass rush was just freaking incredible though. Larry Cole and Jethro Pugh played on both teams
(Also, if there was ever an unsung hero in Cowboys history, it is George Andrie. Don’t sell this guy short) - (Oh yeah, Bob Lilly was on that defensive line too. Who can say “29-yard sack?)

The linebackers heavily favor the 1971 group. There is just no comparison between Bob Breunig and the great Lee Roy Jordan (why isn’t he in the Hall of Fame?). Chuck Howley (1971) and Hollywood Henderson (1977) wash each other out despite being totally different. Both were fabulous playmakers. Dave Edwards I would give the slight edge over D.D. Lewis (who was on the bench in 1971). But it is Lee Roy Jordan that really tips the scales here.

The secondary also goes to the 1971 group. Waters and Harris were spectacular in 1977 as that legendary safety tandem. However, they were both on the 1971 team as well, with Harris starting. Randy Hughes was an up and coming replacement that was great in 1977, but injuries shortened his career. Benny Barnes and Aaron Kyle were good corners, but not great.

What tips the scales for the 1971 secondary was HALL OF FAMERS Mel Renfro and Herb Adderly. Cornell Green and Cliff Harris were fabulous as well, thus rounding out the Greatest Secondary in Cowboys History.

Last note: Miami’s offense in 1971 (Greise, Czonka, Little, Warfield, Kuchenburg?) was better than Denver’s offense in 1977 (No hall of Famers there).

Thanks for that. A "personal" touch.

fanfromvirginia;2434619 said:
Okay, it seems to me that we're clear on which one it's not: 1995. It's interesting that for those who were around for it (which I really wasn't -- I was six at the time, although I think I did watch it), '71 wins. '92 seems to have gotten the most votes overall.

So, taking this into account with my own thoughts on 77, 92 and 93 I'd rank them like this:

1971 (out of deference to comments from our 'old timers')
1992 (out of deference to the voting here)
1977 (personal perspective -- that team was truly dominant)
1993 (odd man out here -- there really isn't much of a drop-off at all from the others to this)
1995 (no brainer)

Ok. Wait a sec.
Our claim to fame... or one of them is... we are FIVE TIME SB Champions. To say that SBXXX is at the bottom of the list is most certainly a hindsite thing.

Who here wasnt sweating bullets HOPING that we got #5? :laugh2:

the playmaker

Reaction score
the 1992 win was awsome for me...why? the Jimmy Johnson team was very young and with no expierience for a hight level

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Three way tie for me - 71-77-92.....each were very special in their own right.

Too tough to call just one for me.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The 92 win was the best one for me because I won $2500.00 in a football pool. I still have the Champion Tee-shirt from that year (as well as the 93 and 95 years) but they are full of worn out holes from being so old...but, on a nice summer day I still wear them when the sun is out...holes and all.

I really need to have a new one and I hope this team will give me one because I'll be damned if I ever buy a "6th Seed Playoff" tee-shirt...if you know what I mean!!

:laugh2:

Undisputed

Reaction score
At 22, only one I even remember is 95. :laugh2:

That's why I am so desperate to watch us win that 6th trophy. It'd be the first one I could ever truly appreciate. I'll run through the streets crying tears of joy.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
jackrussell;2435047 said:
In the order they were won.

Duuuuuuuude. Nice..........I saw what you did there.

One-upped us all. :bow:

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Dimuha;2435088 said:
1993 was the peak of the 'Boys stardom and dynasty.

Whoa there, Big fella..........

in...........

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Undisputed;2434803 said:
At 22, only one I even remember is 95. :laugh2:

That's why I am so desperate to watch us win that 6th trophy. It'd be the first one I could ever truly appreciate. I'll run through the streets crying tears of joy.

same. except, I am going to do this next playoff win.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
1971. Victory after years of "best team never to win it all," AKA chokers.

That game still has the best run by a Dallas back I ever saw. Walt Garrison in the second half, dragging or running over what appeared to be the entire defense for a 20 yard run. One of the refs was trotting along with the scrum, trying to figure out when to blow the whistle.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
M'Kevon;2435445 said:
1971. Victory after years of "best team never to win it all," AKA chokers.

That game still has the best run by a Dallas back I ever saw. Walt Garrison in the second half, dragging or running over what appeared to be the entire defense for a 20 yard run. One of the refs was trotting along with the scrum, trying to figure out when to blow the whistle.

Seeing Larry Cole and Bob Lilly chasing Bob Greise all over the field before bringing him down for a 29-yard sack was the ultimate for me!

Chuck Howley running out of gas and falling down after his INT was icing on the cake. :D

I also loved seeing Mike Ditka and Lance Alworth get their only SB TD receptions of their careers. After HoF careers with other teams it was nice to see them get a chance with a real team.