Twitter: Which of these QBs Were You Pumped About

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I remember Drew Henson getting his first, and only, start on Thanksgiving versus the Bears. Parcells pulled him at halftime.

Hard to believe that guy started ahead of Brady at Michigan.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Thought I’d break the monotony. I actually thought Chutch had the tools to be good. Wow was I wrong. Bledsoe at least got a 9-7 in there

A reminder what it's like when you don't have a QB. It still amazes me the franchise hasn't spent a 1st round pick on a QB in 32 years. I guess that time period was limited with the Galloway trade and then we stumbled into Romo and then Dak.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I'm iffy on Mac. His college performance is actually what makes him hard to judge, as he was on a completely dominant team.
I recall him torching teams in the air , namely Ohio state. He was deadly accurate and didnt miss his targets. He looked like he belongs in the NFL.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I recall him torching teams in the air , namely Ohio state. He was deadly accurate and didnt miss his targets. He looked like he belongs in the NFL.

Ohio State was down to 3 DBs - two safeties and one corner - thanks to Covid and injuries. They played 4 LBs all day out of necessity.

Not a chance they could cover Bama's receivers with those players. If that's your measure of Mac Jones you have an artificially-inflated opinion.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Carter was a second rounder who really wasn't even a fifth rounder but once again Jerry wanted him.....Ryan Leaf was the second overall selection in the first round but he was pretty much on his last leg in the NFL when Jerry signed him..

Dennis Green said the Vikings would have taken Quincy Carter with their 3rd round pick had the Cowboys not drafted him in the second round. At the time of the draft, The Vikings had a 3rd round grade on him. Probably other teams did too. Too bad Quincy Carter got derailed by the drugs. I think Quincy Carter would have done better in the NFL today with the rule changes and being more lenient with drugs rather than 20 years ago.

Yes, Jerry probably wanted him. You can criticize Jerry for that with your hindsight crystal ball. But, you can't criticize Jerry for taking him rounds earlier than where he would have been drafted. Jerry would not have got him if he waited for a later round.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Ohio State was down to 3 DBs - two safeties and one corner - thanks to Covid and injuries. They played 4 LBs all day out of necessity.

Not a chance they could cover Bama's receivers with those players. If that's your measure of Mac Jones you have an artificially-inflated opinion.
true, but on the biggest stage imagineable, he made the plays in front of him. Still gotta read the d and execute it. He did that over and over.Even prior to that game he did that. He was on fire the latter half of the year. He hit a rhythm and never looked back.

lkelly

Reaction score
They did though .Some of those guys they traded draft picks for. Cowboys just sucked at developing quarterbacks. Even Quincy.....the circus he went through with Bruce Coslett was insane.

Wasn’t Quincy carter a first rounder? As well as Ryan leaf?

Dallas used the #53 pick in 2001 on Quincy which was considered a reach. They traded the #73 pick in the 2005 draft for Henson. They used the #101 pick in 2009 on McGee.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a position that they used less draft capital on outside of kicker/punter over that time. You'd also be hard pressed to find a position where they had greater need.

lkelly

Reaction score
Dennis Green said the Vikings would have taken Quincy Carter with their 3rd round pick had the Cowboys not drafted him in the second round. At the time of the draft, The Vikings had a 3rd round grade on him. Probably other teams did too. Too bad Quincy Carter got derailed by the drugs. I think Quincy Carter would have done better in the NFL today with the rule changes and being more lenient with drugs rather than 20 years ago.

Yes, Jerry probably wanted him. You can criticize Jerry for that with your hindsight crystal ball. But, you can't criticize Jerry for taking him rounds earlier than where he would have been drafted. Jerry would not have got him if he waited for a later round.
You honestly believe that the Vikings, with a 23 year old Dante Culpepper who had just thrown for close to 4,000 yards and 33 TDs in his first year playing, would have spent their 3rd round pick on another QB? Minnesota didn't draft a QB in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, or 2005. The next time they picked one was the very end of the 2nd round in 2006 when they took Tavaris Jackson. They didn't seem to be fixated on the position for that half a decade.

Maybe Dennis Green was Quincy's uncle or something and that might have tipped the scales. Otherwise, I'm skeptical.

Rayman70

Reaction score
embarrassing as it was i have to say Carter:(:(
I liked him..I really did try to embrace him, but in the end he was too inaccurate and was bad at reading defenses. For me, Bledsoe got me excited. He had the body of work.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Quincy Carter had a few shiny moments. I remember him having a cannon arm. There used to be a "highlight" video of him laying around somewhere on the internet of him throwing some deep bombs. He seemed to have just enough talent in him that Parcell's could at least squeeze out a 10-6 record and make the playoffs with him at the helm. He just couldn't keep his nose clean.....literally.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dallas used the #53 pick in 2001 on Quincy which was considered a reach. They traded the #73 pick in the 2005 draft for Henson. They used the #101 pick in 2009 on McGee.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a position that they used less draft capital on outside of kicker/punter over that time. You'd also be hard pressed to find a position where they had greater need.
While true.....Chad Hutchinson and Drew Henson were considered credible prospects at the time. They weren't like Stephen McGee. If the Cowboys didn't trade for them someone else would've. In regards to Hutch I believe we had to outbid to sign him at the time.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Quincy Carter had a few shiny moments. I remember him having a cannon arm. There used to be a "highlight" video of him laying around somewhere on the internet of him throwing some deep bombs. He seemed to have just enough talent in him that Parcell's could at least squeeze out a 10-6 record and make the playoffs with him at the helm. He just couldn't keep his nose clean.....literally.

Factor in the drugs, lack of confidence from the coaching staff...if Parcells would've came on earlier he would've probably had a better shot. Had he went to a credible organization who knows what kind of career he could've had. Not saying HOF or anything like that. But he never got a chance to develop consistency.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score

The problem is that the cowboys had a fifth round grade on Carter, that was too high to begin with and there were red flags on him coming out of college.....I hated that pick the second it was made and cost me $98 for a new Pioneer TV remote when I launched it at the wall...

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
In 04 Dallas had the #1 D in the NFL. So, to answer your question, quite good.
Yes, I knew that, that was Bill Parcells doing. But how long did that last? One could say, a good defense one year here in there is not a good defense. IMO, a defense has to be top five four years running in order to be considered a good defense. Sustainability is a must to be a perennial power house.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Carter was a second rounder who really wasn't even a fifth rounder but once again Jerry wanted him.....Ryan Leaf was the second overall selection in the first round but he was pretty much on his last leg in the NFL when Jerry signed him..
Both drug addicts!

Motorola

Reaction score
Who even started that trend? Was it Elway who was the baseball/football guy or am I thinking of someone else?
Since early in the 20th century, America has a history of tens of thousands of high school and college athletes that were so good playing high school and/or college baseball that MLB and other semi-pro baseball leagues drafted them despite knowing the players were leaning toward \ committed to college football scholarships or the NFL draft.
Elway was drafted twice by MLB - 1st time in 1979 by the KC Royals in the 18th round. But guess whom the team drafted ahead of him in the 4th round - Dan Marino! Two years later, the Yankees drafted Elway 52nd overall - six spots ahead of Tony Gwynn!!
Bo Jackson - 4th round pick by the Royals, 1st round pick by the Buccaneers in 1986.
Even in this century there are a good number of NFL players drafted once or twice by MLB: Eric Decker, Matt Cassel, Colin Kaepernick, Golden Tate, Brandon Weeden.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
Thought I’d break the monotony. I actually thought Chutch had the tools to be good. Wow was I wrong. Bledsoe at least got a 9-7 in there

Ok. You just want a good QB. You couldn't care less if Dallas is competitive or not, just a good QB. Some of us disagree. If we're not going to be in the running for a championship there's no reason to pay a flashy QB.