Video: Which overpaid Cowboys player is next to get the ax?

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Nobody this year.

Next year DLaw costs $27 million against the cap and $29 million the next year after that.

His base salary is $19 million next year. His remaining signing bonus for the next 2 years equates to $10 million and he has restructuring money owed to him as well which equates to $6 million. $27 million minus $16 million and not paying the $19 million salary saves us $11 million next year and gets rid of the rest of the deal I believe.

It’s a no brainer considering he’s still a very good player at his warranted position but his better days are behind him.

Now if he lights everything up once he comes back and we look Super Bowl bound, that could tip the scales the other way. But I believe DLaw, Zeke not even close until after next year is on the outs if he doesn’t take a pay cut which he won’t. He could still sign a 2 year $12 to 15 million a year deal easy on the open market.

Next year we’ll see.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Bye, Jaylon! Tough seeing you leave so suddenly, but you were way overpaid for the production (or lack of it) you brought on the field. Plus, dirt-cheap rookie LBs in Parsons and Cox made you and your overpaid contract expendable.

Tough but wise decision by the Cowboys. Finally.

So who is next?

Cowherd talks about it:

Who do you think might or should be next based on their overpaid contract, their production (or lack of it) on the field and their younger/cheaper replacements now on the team?

D-Law? Zeke? La'el? Amari?

Who do you see as the next needed cut player and why?

:popcorn:

You will see another dumb over payment before you see a mistake cut by Jerry Dumbo GM Jones.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think it’s Lawrence, no question. Zeke is overpaid, or more accurately it’s not a position that you should pay a lot for. But his contract makes it nigh impossible to move on from it before 2023.

Lawrence is a different story. Unless he turns it up a great deal upon his return, I think Dallas should and will consider moving on.

Zeke has yet to be overpaid. We are talking cap hit here, right? Next year we can say, ******** he makes a lot of money for a RB. And then Dallas can release him following that year. So it's not that bad.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke has yet to be overpaid. We are talking cap hit here, right? Next year we can say, ******** he makes a lot of money for a RB. And then Dallas can release him following that year. So it's not that bad.

For as much as they're paying him, he's earning it this year. It's just not good to pay big money for running backs.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Bye, Jaylon! Tough seeing you leave so suddenly, but you were way overpaid for the production (or lack of it) you brought on the field. Plus, dirt-cheap rookie LBs in Parsons and Cox made you and your overpaid contract expendable.

So who is next?

Cowherd talks about it:

Who do you think might or should be next based on their overpaid contract, their production (or lack of it) on the field and their younger/cheaper replacements now on the team?

D Law is next if he doesn't rack up the sacks................

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
DLaw will eventually be asked to take a pay cut or be released like Demarcus Ware if his sack totals don’t improve and he continues to miss games with injuries.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not during the season.

Didn’t say during the season. DWare wasn’t released during the season. Jaylon wasn’t performing which is why he got released during the season. If he was playing up to level the Cowboys expected they would’ve stayed with him this season even if they had to pay him 9 million next season.

conner01

Reaction score
It'll be DLaw before anyone IMO.

Doesn't necessarily make the team better, but the money could warrant it. We sacked Sam Darnold 5 times Sunday without him with rookies often getting home.
I don’t think Dlaw gets cut during season since it would cost more than the cap space we have availible

Doomsday77

Reaction score
It'll be DLaw before anyone IMO.

Doesn't necessarily make the team better, but the money could warrant it. We sacked Sam Darnold 5 times Sunday without him with rookies often getting home.
We sacked Darnold 5 times and they still scored 28 points! So I don’t think our D is all that with or without him.

Flamma

Reaction score
For as much as they're paying him, he's earning it this year. It's just not good to pay big money for running backs.

I agree with you. But this is the first year of his extension, and his cap hit is 6+ million. Next year I think it's 18 million. But then they can move on afterwards. So 1 out of 7 years he'll be over payed. That's not bad IMO.

Cmac

Reaction score
Having a few overpaid “stars” while the rest of your team is a jalopy! That route didn’t seem to be working either!
We could take the Bengals approach......and then watch what happens on this board.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
Zeke is producing.
Amari is producing, and even despite less than all pro numbers he's keeping the defense honest, opening up the rest of the offense.
La'el is still your second best tackle when healthy, and also might be needed to replace Williams and/or Biadasz soon.

Which leaves Lawrence... and AB.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

So who is next?

Cowherd talks about it:

Just because of the contracts we cant get rid of DFlaw that soon. So my order is:

2022. Zeke
2022/23. DFLaw