Video: Which overpaid Cowboys player is next to get the ax?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
No, I don't know it and I don't make excuses for anything or anybody.

Best stick with your own opinions and not tell other people theirs.
You do know it. You simply refuse to admit it.

$20+ million/year is a good deal for Amari? Yeah...right...

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This place is becoming the dumbed down sports show discussion group
Plenty of other threads to read and forums to visit.

We're talking business concerning this team's bad habit of overpaying players, how it has affected the team and how it can get fixed.

glimmerman

Reaction score
D-Law counts to much this year and next. I think they did it to themselves by redoing his contract a few times. They have already redid Daks and he just signed. Same with Elliot. They may have kind of extended Elliot’s.

Collins is not smart but I think JJ made a fair deal for him. He maybe getting railroaded like Elliot did.

Jenky

Reaction score
Dlaw - he should be producing more for that amount of money.

Amari Coop is consistent as they come. A string of 1k+ seasons and plays through injuries.

Gallup should be traded for a position of need.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Bye, Jaylon! Tough seeing you leave so suddenly, but you were way overpaid for the production (or lack of it) you brought on the field. Plus, dirt-cheap rookie LBs in Parsons and Cox made you and your overpaid contract expendable.

Tough but wise decision by the Cowboys. Finally.

So who is next?

Cowherd talks about it:

Who do you think might or should be next based on their overpaid contract, their production (or lack of it) on the field and their younger/cheaper replacements now on the team?

D-Law? Zeke? La'el? Amari?

Who do you see as the next needed cut player and why?

:popcorn:

some maybe over paid, but over paid by how much? the fact is that not only Jaylon wasn't producing, not even near minimum salary but that he was a liability. we may not like DLaw's contract, and I don't neither, but he produces (in some aspects) and he is not a liability when in the game..yes, I like to see more sacks and pressure. we may not like Zeke's contract, but he produces. we like both of those contracts to be lower, not gone....Amari produces.
La'el...he needs to be healthy and if he is not and doesn't come in and produce at a high level, then he is gone next year or moved inside perhaps as we have to make a decision on Williams....given Steele is playing well and producing....Jarwin is another example..he is 21st in salary, but 26th in TE rankings....where schultz is 4th.....perhaps Jarwin would be higher if not for schultz but that would mean we have a lesser TE....

so yeah, everyone is on notice. but to get cut like they did Jaylon, you have to be bad and a liability....right now those other guys aren't a liability, they are just over paid perhaps

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
some maybe over paid, but over paid by how much? the fact is that not only Jaylon wasn't producing, not even near minimum salary but that he was a liability. we may not like DLaw's contract, and I don't neither, but he produces (in some aspects) and he is not a liability when in the game..yes, I like to see more sacks and pressure. we may not like Zeke's contract, but he produces. we like both of those contracts to be lower, not gone....Amari produces.
La'el...he needs to be healthy and if he is not and doesn't come in and produce at a high level, then he is gone next year or moved inside perhaps as we have to make a decision on Williams....given Steele is playing well and producing....Jarwin is another example..he is 21st in salary, but 26th in TE rankings....where schultz is 4th.....perhaps Jarwin would be higher if not for schultz but that would mean we have a lesser TE....

so yeah, everyone is on notice. but to get cut like they did Jaylon, you have to be bad and a liability....right now those other guys aren't a liability, they are just over paid perhaps
All good points.

So, what do you think the Cowboys will do?

I hope they approach them and ask them to take paycuts, even if a little. Something less to help keep other players we are likely to lose since we don't have enough cap space to keep this team intact.

If they refuse to take a little paycut, then what?

If their backups are playing well this season, time to make more cuts during the offseason.

Jerry needs to get better control of this team's salary availability.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
All good points.

So, what do you think the Cowboys will do?

I hope they approach them and ask them to take paycuts, even if a little. Something less to help keep other players we are likely to lose since we don't have enough cap space to keep this team intact.

If they refuse to take a little paycut, then what?

If their backups are playing well this season, time to make more cuts during the offseason.

Jerry needs to get better control of this team's salary availability.
I don't think anything happens until off season. I think if DLaw doesn't come in and light it up, then they will approach him and ask him to take a pay cut. he will probably say no. his cap hit is 27M, his dead money is 19M, post june 1st cut split in two years, that's about 9.5M per year....can they get somebody for 18M, end up with the same cap hit total and get more out of him. perhaps. but doing that would mean 16M in dead cap alone between Jaylon and Lawrence. however, with expected hike in salary cap, new TV contracts, etc....this might be the year to take the hits on dead cap, given all other main ones are under contract and producing.

but this move of cutting Jaylon was brilliant in many ways. first everybody knew he wasn't producing. players aren't stupid. got rid of a dead weight. saved money for next year since if Jaylon was injured, he would be guaranteed his 10M salary. and MC learned from his past mistake and cut ties sooner than later since writing was on the wall (when he cut montgomery three games too late). plus, it send a notice across the team. nobody is safe. you better produce. our goal is superbowl and no dead weights.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't think anything happens until off season. I think if DLaw doesn't come in and light it up, then they will approach him and ask him to take a pay cut. he will probably say no. his cap hit is 27M, his dead money is 19M, post june 1st cut split in two years, that's about 9.5M per year....can they get somebody for 18M, end up with the same cap hit total and get more out of him. perhaps. but doing that would mean 16M in dead cap alone between Jaylon and Lawrence. however, with expected hike in salary cap, new TV contracts, etc....this might be the year to take the hits on dead cap, given all other main ones are under contract and producing.

but this move of cutting Jaylon was brilliant in many ways. first everybody knew he wasn't producing. players aren't stupid. got rid of a dead weight. saved money for next year since if Jaylon was injured, he would be guaranteed his 10M salary. and MC learned from his past mistake and cut ties sooner than later since writing was on the wall (when he cut montgomery three games too late). plus, it send a notice across the team. nobody is safe. you better produce. our goal is superbowl and no dead weights.
You nailed it! Well said.
:hammer: