Which QB's get long term extensions past year 8 with no deep playoff runs?

Swagger

Reaction score
I agree. But for a different reason. I want to start Lance so we can get the #1 overall pick in 2025. This way we can draft a QB. I guess that's also shooting for the stars, right? That's better than being the paper tiger that we are now
The team went 5-1 with a practice squad QB starting. Cowboys finish 1st or 2nd in the division pretty much regardless of who starts at QB.

Blitzen

Reaction score
See, now you are entering very subjective territory.

"Do you believe a player is capable of contributing enough at their position to achieve the team's ultimate goal"?

Define "contributing enough".

An argument could be made that leading the NFL in TD passes and finishing 2nd in the MVP vote could be considered "contributing enough" to achieve the team's ultimate goal.

Others could argue it isn't.

Like I said, you are entering highly subjective territory when you use qualifiers like "contributing enough" as the basis for a contract extension.
We can view his stats in context though. I don’t know why so many cannot view his stats through two lenses. He has actual trends depending on the level of teams and defenses that he faces-all QB’s do.

He does not have an issue clobbering tier 3 teams routinely. He splits most of the time versus tier 2 teams, and loses versus tier 1 teams. His playoff performances are trending in the wrong direction. His first halves are very poor in almost every game. This last one following his best statistical season at home. The line provided excellent protection until the second half when they had to abandon the run. The offense and he struggled until the game was out of reach and Green Bay pulled starters and went to shell coverage. It’s not just the lack of a running game causing issues-he looks unsure/not sharp/and confused in way too many snaps to feel confident they should just give him a large extension and plan for the future. That GB defense is not in the realm of how nasty some of the other defenses will be that a team must get through in the postseason.

Flamma

Reaction score
The team went 5-1 with a practice squad QB starting. Cowboys finish 1st or 2nd in the division pretty much regardless of who starts at QB.
That's because Cooper Rush is much better than Trey Lance. Dallas doesn't win many games with QBs not named Dak or Rush. The 49ers looked Terrible whenever Lance played.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Please define your penalty for sticking with Dak. What digit are you willing to lose?
Thats all you got?

Typical internet. Doesnt want to be reasonable. Just wants to spout fantasy land ideas as if there are no real consequences for "real" GM's

Assuming all this is real.

Why do message boards allow the unreasonable to run wild?

Here is what I suspect. Its shock therapy and there is no right answer. We are all just blowing hot air while some overseer laughs. Assuming you are not the overseer and there are more than just me and the overseer. Not the existence I would create for anyone or thing.

I think if we move Dak...Dak will go to a team and absolutely kill it. Why? For shock value and shock value only. Couldnt do it here...but goes elsewhere and does it. Torture is cool. Legacy.

Is it not odd that MY Dallas Cowboys are always wrapped in controversy? Why would that be? Shock value. Odd that the two QBs we have had recently have "Clutch" issues. Clutch issues is the perfect trait for the overseer to give a QB....because it causes endless arguing and there is no number value you can put on it. lol Dak has perfect numbers accept in Playoffs...so lame of the overseer. It doesnt make sense.

There are no coincidences...just hate. Hate to speed up progress for the selfish. Lie and Ruin everything as long as the number value on shock is satisfactory. Legacy. Make existence depressing for others. Its justifiable.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
We created an arbitrary metric open to interpretation. I took it as in order to be a deep run you have to have won more than 1 game in the playoffs. Getting a bye and winning one game does not scream deep run to me.
Well, Dak has had a one seed and still couldn't do it.

And your "I took it as in order..." is itself an arbitrary metric. All metrics are arbitrary because they are a look at specific data stats. Even most TD passes is an arbitrary metric.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The sad reality is we are going to have to wait out the Prescott era just like we had to wait out the Garrett era. Jerry is too invested in "being right" about them to see that they will always come up short.
Been waiting out the Jerry era for nearly 30 years.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
This is the main issue with stupid threads this like.
Get answers then say the answers don't count.

Peyton absolutely had the same can't win big games, choked versus good defenses label at 8 years into the league.

He was 3-6 in the playoffs. Those are simple, irrefutable facts.
Peyton Manning played in an AFCCG in year 6. Dak is on year 9, so if Manning is your comparison as a QB who took too long then it only makes Dak look worse.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
So should the other players on the team get extensions as well after contributing to losses vs "good teams"?

I'm just curious, because if I didn't know any better, I would think Dak was a golfer or boxer playing an individual sport according to what I've read.
Frankly, no, they shouldn't. And they wouldn't if we had a real GM. That is why a lot want to blow this iteration up because it has clearly hit its peak. Players just want to be celebrities and get that next big bag even after clearly checking out on the season the week leading up to the GB game.

MistyAnn

Reaction score
Blake-Bortles-extended-hope-for-a-long-time,but-ultimately-he-would-prove-not-to-be-worth-the-money.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
Explain this to me.

You’ve seen Trey Lance start 4 games and are comfortable labeling him a failure that’ll never be able to do anything for us.

You’ve watched Dak actually fail and never do anything for us for a decade and still are hesitant about moving on from him without some kind of impossible to predict assurance the next guy is going to be greatness.

Make it make sense.
I understand your pain , because it is the same as mine.I have been waiting for Dak to play better when it counts as well.I thought by the way he played during most of the regular season , this post season would be different.If Dallas plans on extending Dak ,they need to be working on things to help him.Build the offensive line C OT, and a beast at RB.I am looking forward to seeing Lance play in the pre season . Long time fan of the Dallas Cowboys, and The West Virginia Mountaineers.

Creeper

Reaction score
All of this stuff about Dak and Matt Stafford is undermined by the fact that we all believed the hype about the Cowboys roster every year. Stafford just happened to go to the Rams and immediately become a SB QB?

Hurts last year was an MVP and this year he stunk? It had nothing to do with the all-star team he had last year and how that same team got old this year?

The truth is going to hurt. But the Cowboys have not had two good DTs in years. Let's be honest about this team. They are not that good. The OL can't move anyone off the LOS. The DL rarely gets penetration. They can't flow outside to stop the run. They are undisciplined and undependable. Often they are outsmarted. But we believe the Cowboys should be in the SB why? Because they have star on their helmet and Jerry tells us how good the roster is every year?

I think the Cowboys are pretty much what they looked like this year. 12-5 and out of the playoffs in the wild card round. They were never better than that. Stop thinking they were.

Green Bay hammered home the holes in the Cowboys roster. Jerry can fix them or pretend they don't exist, or that Zimmer will figure something out. He will tell us we are right there. We like out guys.

Meanwhile we have been saying for years the interior DL is weak. Last year the OL looked pathetic at times. The LBs were all hurt or cut and we had an inexperienced safety playing LB for the first time in his career. But we expected that hot mess to be good in the playoffs?

Dak is not Patrick Mahomes. He needs a better team around him, like Matthew Stafford. But ignoring the problems on this team and laying the blame all on Dak is not going to fix anything.

Chasing6

Reaction score
All of this stuff about Dak and Matt Stafford is undermined by the fact that we all believed the hype about the Cowboys roster every year. Stafford just happened to go to the Rams and immediately become a SB QB?

Hurts last year was an MVP and this year he stunk? It had nothing to do with the all-star team he had last year and how that same team got old this year?

The truth is going to hurt. But the Cowboys have not had two good DTs in years. Let's be honest about this team. They are not that good. The OL can't move anyone off the LOS. The DL rarely gets penetration. They can't flow outside to stop the run. They are undisciplined and undependable. Often they are outsmarted. But we believe the Cowboys should be in the SB why? Because they have star on their helmet and Jerry tells us how good the roster is every year?

I think the Cowboys are pretty much what they looked like this year. 12-5 and out of the playoffs in the wild card round. They were never better than that. Stop thinking they were.

Green Bay hammered home the holes in the Cowboys roster. Jerry can fix them or pretend they don't exist, or that Zimmer will figure something out. He will tell us we are right there. We like out guys.

Meanwhile we have been saying for years the interior DL is weak. Last year the OL looked pathetic at times. The LBs were all hurt or cut and we had an inexperienced safety playing LB for the first time in his career. But we expected that hot mess to be good in the playoffs?

Dak is not Patrick Mahomes. He needs a better team around him, like Matthew Stafford. But ignoring the problems on this team and laying the blame all on Dak is not going to fix anything.
I did not believe any of the hype. Number 1 priority stated by McCarthy after 2022 season was to fix the running game.

What investments did we make in the running game in the off season?

Is GM Jeruh and McCarthy on the same page???

Do they have different priorities?

Is it a good idea to make a mid season trade for a position that was no immediate need without talking to your HC?

Could we have traded a 4th for desperately needed LB help?

Don't let Owner Jerry, sell you on GM Jeruh's BS.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
Some of you are clinging to the fallacy that most fans hold Dak entirely responsible for not winning a SB. I guarantee that is not true.

Nobody expects any QB to lift a bad team to a championship. You can however expect a QB to occasionally rise to the occasion and make something happen when a good team struggles in one area or another.

If Dak had played a very good game, but the team lost, he wouldn't be getting this criticism, at least from most.

Dak has yet to be a difference maker and that is why he gets the criticism. (Note: you can be a difference maker and still not win the game)

If your QB needs everything to be perfect than you have a bus driver who should paid as such. That can work but only if the resources are allocated accordingly.
I don't have a thing against Dak, I would love to see him lead Dallas to a Super Bowl win . Dak is not the only reason we fall short in the playoffs , but he seems to play tight in big games . The team was not ready to play in the Green Bay game.I will be watching next season like always ,hoping Dak becomes a difference maker when , the pressure is on.If Dallas can build a running game , and strenthen the middle of the defense that would make a huge difference.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I haven't read one person say Dak was 100% at fault for the Green Bay loss. But what I've been very clearly stating is he's not 100% blameless either. You don't get down 27-0 without some blame. You see every time the other team scores you then possess the ball and have an opportunity to score and Dak wasn't awake yet. Stop trying to give him credit for garbage points and say "well if the defense would have held them to 0 in the second half we would have won the game" Dak is a big boy he's the highest paid player on the team and will be one of the highest paid players in the NFL, no excuses will be accepted for him. Yes the defense was awful, but so was the offense. 99% of the time when you get down 27 points at any point of the game, you're just going to lose and that is what happened.
Then my friend you haven't read very much.
Because Dak gets the blame 100% by about 15% of this board after EVERY loss and most especially playoff losses.
This insane big dummy board had a poll at near 50/50 about whether or not they were happy with Dak as QB during his run to 2nd in the MVP voting.
I am literally embarrassed for this site most days.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Then my friend you haven't read very much.
Because Dak gets the blame 100% by about 15% of this board after EVERY loss and most especially playoff losses.
This insane big dummy board had a poll at near 50/50 about whether or not they were happy with Dak as QB during his run to 2nd in the MVP voting.
I am literally embarrassed for this site most days.
I am not aware of any QB this year scoring 7 TD's out of 9 drives. Can someone share with me a time anyone one has done that in the history of the NFL in the playoffs on offense.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
We can view his stats in context though. I don’t know why so many cannot view his stats through two lenses. He has actual trends depending on the level of teams and defenses that he faces-all QB’s do.

He does not have an issue clobbering tier 3 teams routinely. He splits most of the time versus tier 2 teams, and loses versus tier 1 teams. His playoff performances are trending in the wrong direction. His first halves are very poor in almost every game. This last one following his best statistical season at home. The line provided excellent protection until the second half when they had to abandon the run. The offense and he struggled until the game was out of reach and Green Bay pulled starters and went to shell coverage. It’s not just the lack of a running game causing issues-he looks unsure/not sharp/and confused in way too many snaps to feel confident they should just give him a large extension and plan for the future. That GB defense is not in the realm of how nasty some of the other defenses will be that a team must get through in the postseason.
You do make some good points my friend, and its refreshing to have a civil conversation where different viewpoints can be discussed, too many times such discussions turn into name calling and insult exchanges.

Thank you for keeping this discussion civil.

There does seem to be an issue here where Dak's regular season performance is not translating to the playoffs, and while I am not putting all the blame on Dak (Lamb and Parsons were no shows also), I am hesitant to make Dak the highest paid player in the league.

My personal preference is to let him play this year on the last year of his contract and reevaluate at the end of this year, just like we are doing with Fat Mike.

Chasing6

Reaction score

It is amazing. Our defense has no problem clobbering tier 1 teams, splits with tier 2 and losses to tier 1.

What an amazing coincidence.