Which QB's get long term extensions past year 8 with no deep playoff runs?

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Dak's now thinking "with the cap increase, can I milk Jerry for 70 million per season?"
Dak had a right to milk Jerry the first time.

I dont think any Dak pay supporters are suggesting letting him milk again.

Maybe Cowboys are dumb for not having better than Lance as Plan B...but I assume most agree that Jerry should draw the line in the sand at a certain figure.

I really dont know how these things go. Since cap constantly increases...seems like agents have more leverage than owners in a situation like Dak's.

No one wants to talk about the situation the Jones' are in. Its a tough one. I think drawing a line in the sand at a certain figure is the best choice if Dak and his agent are playing unreasonable hard ball. Assuming there are no major repercussions for not signing him.

I assume the figure was agreed upon before signing previous contract. Thats what I would do if I was the Jones'...so I assume they already have this thing figured out and have a plan.

No one is saying just pay Dak whatever he wants. He had a right last contract after playing on a rookie deal for 4 years. He and his agent need to be reasonable. Go get a good dollar amount but be reasonable.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
First of all Dak is a fake MVP candidate. We had the third easiest strength of schedule and 2nd worst strength of victory to Miami who beat us in the regular season.

Second I'm sure the Chiefs said the same thing when they had Alex Smith and ended up with Mahomes. Both Smith and Dak get you to the playoffs that's it nothing more nothing less.

Not that I'm saying we'll end up with a Mahomes but I feel like it's 4th down with Dak and time to punt. If it sets us back I'll live with it. But why stick with Dak until he retires to prove what we already know, he can't win the big game.
And this is what the shock bots dont want to talk about because it kills their narrative...

GM'S PAY FOR THIS

Its a team game. Give me a bus driver all day and its my job to put pieces around him. Bus drivers are expensive...but there is a reason for it.

tomokawan

Reaction score
If you could guarantee a better QB in the draft than Dak, let's go do it, but you can not do that.

All the experts praised the Niners for going to get Trey Lance. Now he is an afterthought.

Today has an article with Dak being traded to the Bears and Dallas drafting a QB in round 1.

Wait........what happened to Trey Lance????

These so called experts have no idea what they are talking about.

QB is a different animal. It is not just about being an athlete. Please see the GOAT. Tom Brady was most likely the least athletic QB in the NFL during his career.

Moving on from Top 8, MVP candidate with nothing in place as a replacement is an unbelievably stupid idea.
And some idiots advocate to do this no matter what.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
However, there are positions that are dependent on other players doing their jobs. Grading a LT on their performance is pretty simple and has absolutely nothing to do with how Dak, Pollard or Lamb play.

However, how the LT plays absolutely impacts how well Dak, CD and Lamb can do their jobs.

A DT can be graded fairly easy. A LB can not be graded very easily, if the DT is not doing their job.

DB's can not be fairly graded, if the QB consistently has 5+ seconds to throw the ball.
This is true only if your grading on the outcome of the play only, which as you point out, is not fair or accurate.

How did the QB handle the pressure the poor LT was giving up? Especially when it becomes clear he is going to have to deal with it? If it absolutely kills him (Chaz Green) every time he maybe should be graded harshly. Does he figure it out and make adjustments to his own game that show he at least can make something happen some of the time even if is just avoiding the sack and getting rid of the ball. Well maybe he gets a better grade even though the end result is no gain.

Does the LB (Jaylon Smith) ole the guard and the RB the poor DT couldn't handle or does he make the tackle (Sean Lee) after a 6 yard gain and fighting off the lead blocker. Much different grade on very similar end result.

Ironically, Dak has benefitted a great deal from being graded on the success of the play rather than his individual part in it. The reputation he was gifted after his rookie season was in no small part due to the major contributions of his teammates, and coaches. Many of whom were run out of town when Dak later struggled with essentially the same cast of characters.

Chasing6

Reaction score
First of all Dak is a fake MVP candidate. We had the third easiest strength of schedule and 2nd worst strength of victory to Miami who beat us in the regular season.

Second I'm sure the Chiefs said the same thing when they had Alex Smith and ended up with Mahomes. Both Smith and Dak get you to the playoffs that's it nothing more nothing less.

Not that I'm saying we'll end up with a Mahomes but I feel like it's 4th down with Dak and time to punt. If it sets us back I'll live with it. But why stick with Dak until he retires to prove what we already know, he can't win the big game.
Feeling are irrelevant. GM Jeruh felt like trading for Trance was a good idea.

Boysdaboys

Reaction score
Dak would be the first QB ever to win a Super Bowl with his current circumstances.

Thats why nobody can convince me that Trey Lance or a rookie doesn’t gives us a better chance moving forward.

It’s statistically (Dak fans love stats) astronomically higher probably that Trey Lance or a rookie QB plays at a high enough level moving forward to win the Cowboys a Super Bowl then it is for Dak under his circumstances this point in his career.
Dak Prescott is a very good QB. No, he is not a Brady or Mahomes caliber of QB. But not many guys are.

Unless they have a plan to give up the farm for Maye or Daniels, and it's debatable either would be better than Dak, which QB do you propose they start over Dak? A guy who threw for 4500 yards, nearly 40 td's etc.

Chasing6

Reaction score
How is Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson and Trey Lance working out as 1,2,3 picks overall from 2021 - 3 years in?

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I was indifferent about Dak all these years. I wasn't a "hater" or an "apologist" over the man. However, it's time to move on. If you keep getting the same results by year 8, this is what you're always going to get, and it's likely not to change. We've had all sorts of players around him, yet, same results.

Unless our FO can build a mean defense to carry him, I just don't see it going anywhere. Even then, no guarantee. Look at the Super Bowl. The 49ers had a great defense, but when it came down to Mahomes, he did his thing. You need talent at the QB position. It's just the most important ingredient of success for a franchise.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Not sure what to tell you. So if Dak had played great against GB and we lost 42 to 38, you would feel better today???

If we miraculously made it to the SB, you think our Defense holds KC to 25 points like the Niners did?

Or our defense holds the Niners to 22 points KC did to the Niners?

We keep expecting Dak to play phenomenal in the playoffs, when in reality Aikman did not play phenomenal in the playoffs.
We were discussing Peyton and some of his poor performances in the Super Bowl, and I asked you what point you were getting at with defense and winning championships.

I was not trying to make a case that the Dallas defense that showed up against GB gave them much of a shot this last postseason.

It’s hard to compare players and how they affect a game with simple statistical comparison even from the same generation. Because the surrounding cast is very different in each situation. You can view the QB and how they respond to defenses depending on what coverages they mix and how difficult the opposing defenders make their work.

Aikman played in an era that made the QB position more grueling and difficult to play. You may remember the games, but you should definitely rewatch the 1992 NFCCG. Troy played phenomenally in that game and many other playoff games. That SF team was a juggernaut that would wipe the floor with every single team that is currently playing.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I understand the different generations and rule changes. Defense is still defense. Regardless of rule and generations. Giving up 30 points make it difficult for any QB to win.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Dak Prescott is a very good QB. No, he is not a Brady or Mahomes caliber of QB. But not many guys are.

Unless they have a plan to give up the farm for Maye or Daniels, and it's debatable either would be better than Dak, which QB do you propose they start over Dak? A guy who threw for 4500 yards, nearly 40 td's etc.
You care about stats. I don’t.

I don’t need 4500 yards or 40 TDs.

I need a QB that doesn’t play like a bottom 5 QB every time they play against a good team.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You care about stats. I don’t.

I don’t need 4500 yards or 40 TDs.

I need a QB that doesn’t play like a bottom 5 QB every time they play against a good team.
We get it you need a QB that some how scores 45 points without stats.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I agree that the odds of Dak Prescott becoming a SB winning QB are practically zero. I went through this hell with Danny White and Tony Romo. Great players as individuals but their timing on playing for the Dallas Cowboys was off. Staubach and Aikman enjoyed being on rosters full of talent. No matter how good they were as QBs, they had great running games, great offensive lines and great defenses to rely on. White and Romo inherited declining talent. And now the same thing will happen with Dak.

I'll give Dak credit. 2023 was by far his best season. But he got no help from the running game, mediocre pass protection and the defense for all of its turnovers and QB pressure got exposed late in the season.

I know it is popular around here to blame Dak specifically for the lack of playoff success. But when you go back and look at that Packers game and what really happened, I didn't see Dak being exposed as a bad QB. I saw the Cowboys being exposed as an overrated team that had too many holes.

I personally would not extend Dak, only because it would be a waste of money. The Cowboys need to tear it down and rebuild, IMO. But I have accepted that is not going to happen. I'll be here 365 days from now watching and reading hysterical comments about Jerry Jones and Dak Prescott.
Good answer. You avoided blaming the QB for everything and gave a sound reason why an extension is a bad idea. I don't have any idea how Romo or Prescott would have fared with those '70s teams or '90s teams, but I don't think anyone can argue that those teams weren't loaded. If the Baltimore Ravens could carry Trent Dilfer to a Super Bowl title, whose to say those Cowboys couldn't have done the same with QBs I think we can safely say are better than Dilfer. (Of course, those Ravens didn't have to square off against the '90s 49ers to get there.)

As long as these rosters are incompletely built, it isn't going to ultimately matter who's at QB, so we might as well rinse and repeat with different QBs until one is maybe lucky enough to land on a Super Bowl-caliber roster.

I'm not going to be upset if Dak is extended. He's good enough to win with if the roster is good enough. But I'm also not going to be upset if he's not or he's cut because the roster hasn't been good enough and after nearly 30 years of this, I'm not sure when it will be, if ever again.

Blitzen

Reaction score
If you could guarantee a better QB in the draft than Dak, let's go do it, but you can not do that.

All the experts praised the Niners for going to get Trey Lance. Now he is an afterthought.

Today has an article with Dak being traded to the Bears and Dallas drafting a QB in round 1.

Wait........what happened to Trey Lance????

These so called experts have no idea what they are talking about.

QB is a different animal. It is not just about being an athlete. Please see the GOAT. Tom Brady was most likely the least athletic QB in the NFL during his career.

Moving on from Top 8, MVP candidate with nothing in place as a replacement is an unbelievably stupid idea.
I think the reason so many QB’s bust is because of the cyclic nature of bad teams. Hire GM, coaching staff. Start the 2-3 year complete turnaround timetable. It fails. Fire everyone and repeat steps. Lots of franchises give themselves no chance to evaluate how good their own players are because they are a catastrophe.

Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson have never gotten the offensive line that Dak has enjoyed his entire career. Both lines are atrocious. Trey Lance does not look like a starter and had great surrounding talent with SF. That was the year after COVID and Trey had only played one season in that B conference.

No one can guarantee a player will pan out. By that same token, you cannot guarantee that Dak will continue performing at his current level for the next 4-5 years. It will happen eventually anyway-not sure why so many are trying to hold onto the wild success that the team has enjoyed with Dak Prescott. Bus drivers are all over-they just have varying degrees of surrounding cast. There are two elite QB’s in the league currently Mahomes and Burrow (who has endured some of the worst line play of anyone in the past 3 seasons-it may shorten his career)-three depending on which Josh Allen shows up on game day.

rags747

Reaction score
I think it would be much more exciting for all of us to start Lance. You want to play it safe or shoot for the stars? Give me the Stars!