Which QB's get long term extensions past year 8 with no deep playoff runs?

bottleKids

Reaction score
Well this will put your theory to bed and kill the narrative...

Dak is 18-24 vs winning teams. That's not great.

Stafford is 11-73 vs winning teams. That's HORRIBLE

Dak is a 4th round talent that exceeded his draft grade and outplayed every quarterback in his draft class. Is he elite?? Absolutely not!!

Stafford is talented, but fell much below his 1st round draft grade.

From what I was taught by many on this board.... a good to great quarterback ELEVATES the talent around him, correct??? Well cut out all the BS excuses for Stafford with the Lions. He was a 1st round draft pick. He was expected to elevate his team.

The double standards that Dak is held by are hilarious compared to other quarterbacks who were graded higher than him.

When Stafford fails, it's because of his team's and organization's shortcomings.... all of a sudden it's a TEAM game.

But when Dak fails, " every loss is his fault" no matter how good or bad he played, even though the rest of our team gets trashed as well during the game by our opponents.

(So is it a team game or not? If it's a team game for Stafford and others, it's a team game for Dak too, correct?)

To conclude, the Superbowl ring that Stafford got with the Rams... that was the greatest gift he's ever received and here's why....

1. Stafford didn't win his first playoff game until his 11th or 12th season. The Rams were already a superbowl team when he got there.

2. The year the Rams won the Superbowl, they won inspite of Stafford because Stafford LED THE NFL IN INTERCEPTIONS that season. He was carried to the trophy.

3. The Rams would have won the Superbowl that year with 14, 15 other quarterbacks that season.
Not Stafford's fault:
- poor defense
-bad coaches
-no running game
- WR ran wrong routes
-O Line stinks
- Refs out to get him and his team
- dropped passes

Am I doing it right? Oh right, that's right, only our QB gets those excuses, every other QB just sucks and is not as good.

CWR

Reaction score
how many young qb's have come in over the years and have had more success than dak in the playoffs
How many have come in and busted? I'm not suggesting we re-sign him either. Unfortunately the FO refuses to blow it up or go all in, so we are stuck in purgatory.

Blitzen

Reaction score
No GM in the league is letting Dak walk unless he is completely unreasonable with an extension. I assume the extension number was agreed upon last contract.

Unless you have inside information that the guy single handedly is the reason for the Playoff issues...no GM with anything of value to lose is letting Dak walk. They would rather keep the decent bus driver, rely on Will McClay's shopping and make coaching and player acquisitions.

Instead of admitting that this is fake and that you wouldnt trailblaze if you have a Million+ Dollar a year job on the line...youre lowering yourself to grabbing easy fruit.

I can posts this same reasonable post in a thread...it will be avoided and instead a new thread will emerge that leads to the same topic. Its pathetic.

New threads new usernames. This board wants accountability of the players but wants no accountability itself. Makes sense. Good way to exist.

Answer my questions that got avoided yesterday about the penalty you are willing to take on if your trailblazing backfires. Why did that post get no responses? Convenience?

Laugh at me for swinging and softballs. It comes down to no accountability from the other side...yet it screams for accountability from the players lol.

No low it wont scrape
Teams move on from bus driver type QB’s. Dak is an honor roll bus driver type. He literally annihilates the worst teams and racks up the bulk of his best numbers versus the worst teams. His general problem for most detractors is the drop off when facing higher end defenses in bigger games and needing to score when the defense is off.

Alex Smith to Pat Mahomes. Aaron Rodgers to Jordan Love. Jimmy Garropolo to Trey Lance to Brock Purdy. Russell Wilson to Geno Smith. Jared Goff to Matthew Stafford. Any of these moves could be catastrophic for decision makers, but none ended up that way.

You ignore context of all sorts. Jerry is not most GM’s and cannot get fired-but he will not move on-even though the teams previously mentioned moved on from established good QB’s that were going to remain active in the league even after leaving. It’s not trailblazing-the team could keep Dak for his last season and eat the big number after some cuts and restructures (plus draft a guy they like a lot this coming draft). They are choosing to extend him because that’s what Jerry does (not what other GM’s would do which is why my list consists of Dak, Romo, and Stafford). The other GM’s must try to actually make progress in the postseason or lose their jobs-they must take more and bigger risks (which of course can be boom or bust). They are not given an indefinite timeline to succeed, and thus will sometimes move on from okay success to attempt great success.

Chasing6

Reaction score
After 8 years, teams generally have an idea of how great their QB can be. After 8 years of Dak, we are still expecting a running game, a great OL, a great defense, etc. to justify keeping him :rolleyes:

There are many other teams with flawed rosters too but at least within an 8-year window, they would know if their QB is good enough to get them a championship. The 2021 Bengals were not exactly the definition of a loaded team but Burrow still got them within a few minutes of winning a championship. Ultimately they lost the game but everyone knows Burrow is a QB that is worthy of keeping and getting back to the SB.

That's why I find it funny that people are criticizing Lamar Jackson in an effort to prop Dak up. Yes, Lamar has been underwhelming in the playoffs but even his individual and team resume is better than Dak's. There is a long line starting to form of QBs who have to get over the hump and those who will have their heart's broken by Mahomes. Dak hasn't even been good enough to get in that line!
You need a well balanced team regardless of who your QB is to make a deep run in the playoffs.

How many points did the great Mahomes score agains the Niners? 25 points.

GB scored 6 TD's on 9 drives. 77% of their offensive drives resulted in Touchdowns.

Micah as stated he talked to Jeruh about needing an impact DT and LB.

Regardless how much the media wants to talk about the NFL being a passing league, you still need to be able to run the ball and stop the run.

It is a passing league for fan enjoyment. A 3 yard run is not exciting. If your team is 6 and 11 and scores 30 points a game, it is still exciting. You will still sell tickets.

Once the playoffs start it is a different league. Jeruh is built the Cowboys to sell tickets and merch. Maybe even to compete and win a Division every other year or so. He has not built a team to make a deep run in the playoffs. If it helps you sleep better by blaming that all on the QB great. Maybe Jeruh even like hearing that, so the heat is off him.

Micah is starting to figure it out.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yeah, but Peyton made the AFCCG after year 6. He also took over one of the worst franchises when drafted and turned them into a perennial contender. And we’re also talking about one of the most gifted QB’s to ever lace them up. Peyton is about alike to Dak as a giraffe compares to the refractive index of ethanol.

The Eagles moved on from the Wentz contract quickly (after a massive cap hit too), and did not look back. The same might happen with Hurts. They have also been wildly more successful in the postseason than the Cowboys in the past 28 years-so that buys there GM some leeway.

And I was remarking about after year 8 with no deep playoff success (getting a huge extension). I also said other teams not named the Cowboys. If you can find many more names that fit my parameters in the initial post-go for it. I could only come up with Stafford.
This is the main issue with stupid threads this like.
Get answers then say the answers don't count.

Peyton absolutely had the same can't win big games, choked versus good defenses label at 8 years into the league.

He was 3-6 in the playoffs. Those are simple, irrefutable facts.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just wondering if you guys can find a QB that gets a long term extension after never getting to at least a conference title game with the same squad after 8 seasons (post salary cap)-other than the Cowboys.

I looked into it some and came up with one name-Matthew Stafford. He was drafted number 1 overall and could not get the team anywhere in the playoffs. His style of play is very different and his passing abilities are very different from Dak but they held onto him for 12 seasons. He was 21 his first season and Dak was 23.

Detroit had been one of the worst franchises with regards to playoff success in the league in the modern era. They built their current squad through the trade with the Rams and with high draft picks following bad seasons. The rebuild started with a poor season, but the team drastically improved over the course of three seasons. They needed those high picks from the trade and bad seasons though-this turnaround is a direct result of that.

This is not to say Dallas can duplicate that turnaround. I wanted to see if anyone can come up with another name that would fit my initial question (from another team).
Another ignorant “poor me” thread.

GINeric

Reaction score
Not Stafford's fault:
- poor defense
-bad coaches
-no running game
- WR ran wrong routes
-O Line stinks
- Refs out to get him and his team
- dropped passes

Am I doing it right? Oh right, that's right, only our QB gets those excuses, every other QB just sucks and is not as good.

Actually, every quarterback drafted higher than Dak mysteriously gets the excuses of a "bad team, bad coaching, bad organization" etc.

According to many, it's a team game when every team falls short with other quarterbacks....

When Dallas falls short, It's all on him supposedly.

Here's questions that I've asked many times and it's never been answered, but avoided like the plague.

1. Name any quarterback in NFL history that was drafted in the 4th round and was held to higher standards than 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick quarterbacks like Dak?

2. Why is it a team game when other quarterbacks lose, but not a team game when Dak is part of a losing effort with his team?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Just wondering if you guys can find a QB that gets a long term extension after never getting to at least a conference title game with the same squad after 8 seasons (post salary cap)-other than the Cowboys.

I looked into it some and came up with one name-Matthew Stafford. He was drafted number 1 overall and could not get the team anywhere in the playoffs. His style of play is very different and his passing abilities are very different from Dak but they held onto him for 12 seasons. He was 21 his first season and Dak was 23.

Detroit had been one of the worst franchises with regards to playoff success in the league in the modern era. They built their current squad through the trade with the Rams and with high draft picks following bad seasons. The rebuild started with a poor season, but the team drastically improved over the course of three seasons. They needed those high picks from the trade and bad seasons though-this turnaround is a direct result of that.

This is not to say Dallas can duplicate that turnaround. I wanted to see if anyone can come up with another name that would fit my initial question (from another team).
Which GM's still have a job after no deep run for almost 3 decades???

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Yeah, but Peyton made the AFCCG after year 6. He also took over one of the worst franchises when drafted and turned them into a perennial contender. And we’re also talking about one of the most gifted QB’s to ever lace them up. Peyton is about alike to Dak as a giraffe compares to the refractive index of ethanol.

The Eagles moved on from the Wentz contract quickly (after a massive cap hit too), and did not look back. The same might happen with Hurts. They have also been wildly more successful in the postseason than the Cowboys in the past 28 years-so that buys there GM some leeway.

And I was remarking about after year 8 with no deep playoff success (getting a huge extension). I also said other teams not named the Cowboys. If you can find many more names that fit my parameters in the initial post-go for it. I could only come up with Stafford.
I'm 2 pages in and so far no one who has a name to offer is answering your actual question.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score

Peyton absolutely had the same can't win big games, choked versus good defenses label at 8 years into the league.

You did kind of ignore the OP's actual question. Peyton doesn't fit what he asked about: "Just wondering if you guys can find a QB that gets a long term extension after never getting to at least a conference title game with the same squad after 8 seasons (post salary cap)-other than the Cowboys".

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Teams move on from bus driver type QB’s. Dak is an honor roll bus driver type. He literally annihilates the worst teams and racks up the bulk of his best numbers versus the worst teams. His general problem for most detractors is the drop off when facing higher end defenses in bigger games and needing to score when the defense is off.

Alex Smith to Pat Mahomes. Aaron Rodgers to Jordan Love. Jimmy Garropolo to Trey Lance to Brock Purdy. Russell Wilson to Geno Smith. Jared Goff to Matthew Stafford. Any of these moves could be catastrophic for decision makers, but none ended up that way.

You ignore context of all sorts. Jerry is not most GM’s and cannot get fired-but he will not move on-even though the teams previously mentioned moved on from established good QB’s that were going to remain active in the league even after leaving. It’s not trailblazing-the team could keep Dak for his last season and eat the big number after some cuts and restructures (plus draft a guy they like a lot this coming draft). They are choosing to extend him because that’s what Jerry does (not what other GM’s would do which is why my list consists of Dak, Romo, and Stafford). The other GM’s must try to actually make progress in the postseason or lose their jobs-they must take more and bigger risks (which of course can be boom or bust). They are not given an indefinite timeline to succeed, and thus will sometimes move on from okay success to attempt great success.
I just dont think you are risking your job to move Dak. Assuming all this is real.

I think the issue is more coaching and schemes. I think the team should take some blame, not one player. I think the QB position is one of the hardest in sports. I think the bean counters know what they are doing. I think the cap will continue to rise, making yearly "setting the market" QB rates digestible after a couple of years. I think a lot of teams pay their QB significant amounts, its not a Dallas-only issue. I think if you were a GM, felt you had a good team and needed a QB and one like Purdy was up for grabs you would pay top dollar...contradicting everything you are talking about doing.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Which GM's still have a job after no deep run for almost 3 decades???
None-except Jerruh. No arguments from me-Jerry is enemy number one for Cowboys’ postseason success. I don’t bother talking about him much as his job is secured until he dies.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
...hopefully not Dak. He needs to at least deliver a NFCC to this team before getting his extension.

GINeric

Reaction score
Dak apologists are so funny.

I don't think anyone is apologizing for Dak’s shortcomings..... He's at fault for the lack of big game winning just like the rest of the team that played with him.

its just hilarious to see the regular low IQ bunch blame him for everything yet make excuses for the other quarterbacks who have played worse than Dak did but blame the other quarterbacks team and staff.

If it's a team game, isn't it team game for all quarterbacks?

The hypocrites and goal post movers always run from that last question. Yep that's funny! :lmao:

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Agreed!! You can't tell some people in here this though
That’s because if you put virtually any other quarterback on the chiefs they don’t have 3 Super Bowl rings the last 5 years…..this is low hanging fruit stuff lol.

Compare no one in this league right now to Mahomes

Blitzen

Reaction score

Peyton had very poor results in the playoffs, but did end up in the conference championship game after season 6. That means he at least made the final four like I specified in the initial post (since I was speaking about after 8 seasons).

I thought he did struggle with nerves against the best squads though. That last drive in the playoff game against New England just before their first Super Bowl was his piece de resistance.

GINeric

Reaction score
That’s because if you put virtually any other quarterback on the chiefs they don’t have 3 Super Bowl rings the last 5 years…..this is low hanging fruit stuff lol.

Compare no one in this league right now to Mahomes

Stop it!!! Its illegal to kill agendas around here!!

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Certainly not the top QB money on the level or more than Mahomes. But i don't even fault Dak on this, if you were in his shoes you would also seek to drain Jerry through the nose. It is Jerry and his imbecile son who have now put themselves in this situation again. And if you all say that Dak could get this here or somewhere else because that is the market, fine, let it be somewhere else. Dak is not in the same market as Mahomes, not even in the same block or street.