Which roster is better - Dallas or Philly?

MaaS

Reaction score
No. There is no evidence to support the notion that the Eagles have a better roster than the Cowboys.

And what "evidence" is their to support the notion that the Cowboys have a better roster than the Eagles?

We swept them, but if we're being honest, it took some good fortune to do it. Philly was one of the most beat up teams in the league last year as well.

mmohican29

Reaction score
The only problem is we don't have a SB. Wentz does. Not that he had anything to do with getting a ring but still. Dak needs a SB and it still won't silence the crowd.

This.

If you're a Dallas fan, one could claim that the Eagles march to their SB Victory was greatly aided by the Cowboys best offensive weapon unjustly shelved for 6 ballgames.

Yeah... hardly a team for the ages as they went lesser @ QB w/Wentz moving forward and complete trash at CB, LB compared to Dallas who have numerous position edges against this team. Evidenced by 4 of 6 W's since 2016.

mmohican29

Reaction score
And what "evidence" is their to support the notion that the Cowboys have a better roster than the Eagles?

We swept them, but if we're being honest, it took some good fortune to do it. Philly was one of the most beat up teams in the league last year as well.

4 of 6 since 2016. 2-0 and a Division Title in most recent season.

You're better until you're not. You suck until you don't. Do you get a feel for how this works?

No reason to fear Philadelphia. Stars aligned for their title run. They have since moved on. It's that simple.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Jenkins is still better than any safety we have.

No one said he was elite. We just said he's better than any safety we have, which is accurate.

So they have one or two positional edges. The Cowboys have several more. It's comical the undue respect given to that squad and QB.

Flamma

Reaction score
Goff keeps defenses honest. Nobody stacking the line on him. But I would agree not as prolific as others mentioned.

Here’s the key in my argumemt. How far do more prolific passers go with this talent on offense ?

Yes, Elite QB’s need surrounding talent but look what they do with it. How much more Elite talent on offense does Dak need to be a top offense leading us further?

I’ve seen fans argue Aikman needed Elite talent around him . Sure, but look what he did with it.

Good. Goff keeps defenses honest because of his play action in the 11 formation faking it to Gurley. No Gurley, no success.

Sydla

Reaction score
This.

If you're a Dallas fan, one could claim that the Eagles march to their SB Victory was greatly aided by the Cowboys best offensive weapon unjustly shelved for 6 ballgames.

Yeah... hardly a team for the ages as they went lesser @ QB w/Wentz moving forward and complete trash at CB, LB compared to Dallas who have numerous position edges against this team. Evidenced by 4 of 6 W's since 2016.

How so?

Sydla

Reaction score
So they have one or two positional edges. The Cowboys have several more. It's comical the undue respect given to that squad and QB.

S. TE. DT. are all clear edges for them.

LB. RB. CB (because of Jones). are all clear edges for us.

The rest are toss ups. Note, I am not telling you the Cowboys can't be the more talented team or aren't the more talented team, but it's a hell of a lot more closer in terms of roster talent than you think.

PhillySpecial

Reaction score
Don't care. You throw that trash out there, expect to be abused.

This is the Eagles team that delusional people feel has a better D and a better team than the one that swept them- with absolutely no evidence to support those claims.

None.

Me thinks your hatred of the Eagles is dictating what you think of my post. I made no reference whatsoever to talent vs. talent. I was talking about Wentz's passing TDs in 2017.

In my mind, you don't need the best player at his position. You don't need the best O-Line. You don't need the best D-Line. Etc., etc. You need players who are good enough to win games. You need units who are good enough to win games. Teams with the most talent, or best talent, aren't any more successful than teams that play just good enough to win.

Putting a team together isn't only about good players. It's about fitting 53 players together like a jigsaw puzzle. You need unselfish players who play together, who complement each other, who sacrifice for each other. It's about taking advantage of your opponent's mistakes. It's about being situationally aware. It's about disguising your weaknesses and exposing your opponent's weaknesses.

If winning was all about talent, the Skins and Cowboys would've had to add new trophy cases from 1996 - 2010.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Honestly both are good teams. Most teams deal with injuries, we did. All pro center out all year, tavon busted up, lee busted up, etc and they had their injuries too. It's rare for any team to be 100% healthy at any time but I think we have done a better job mitigating the loss of any 1 player at any position except RB and QB in 2019. We were the better team last year twice, in 2019 we will find out who beats who in due time.

Flamma

Reaction score
Right . Why can’t Dak execute the same with Elliott?

He can. But when do we run 11 personnel from under center? It's a great concept. People have to respect Elliott you would think. It's very similar to the early 90s concept except replace the FB with a WR.

Sydla

Reaction score
I can agree with this.

Some have tried to claim OL but I think it's a push.

If Frederick is healthy, he's the best OC in football. But if he's not healthy, then Kelce is the best OC in football. Martin is the best OG in football but if healthy, Brooks is likely a Top 5-7 OG himself. Smith is better than Peters at this point but Lane Johnson is much better than Collins. And LG is kind of a question for both teams.

The OLs are pretty similar at this point.

Reactions: C42

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He can. But when do we run 11 personnel from under center? It's a great concept. People have to respect Elliott you would think. It's very similar to the early 90s WR.
Why aren’t we running 11 personnel under center with Dak?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why aren’t we running 11 personnel under center with Dak?

Because Dak hasn't been ready for that yet mentally. He needs the shotgun formation to help him figure out what he's doing. They use max protect in passing downs and shotgun formations to give Dak time to figure out where to go with the football. That was clearly evident last year without coop as Dak said he couldn't remember who his #1 was. Now with coop and new OC Moore that may change.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because Dak hasn't been ready for that yet mentally. He needs the shotgun formation to help him figure out what he's doing. They use max protect in passing downs and shotgun formations to give Dak time to figure out where to go with the football. That was clearly evident last year without coop as Dak said he couldn't remember who his #1 was. Now with coop and new OC Moore that may change.
So, Daks lack of skills could be holding us back some in the passing game?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

mmohican29

Reaction score
Me thinks your hatred of the Eagles is dictating what you think of my post. I made no reference whatsoever to talent vs. talent. I was talking about Wentz's passing TDs in 2017.

In my mind, you don't need the best player at his position. You don't need the best O-Line. You don't need the best D-Line. Etc., etc. You need players who are good enough to win games. You need units who are good enough to win games. Teams with the most talent, or best talent, aren't any more successful than teams that play just good enough to win.

Putting a team together isn't only about good players. It's about fitting 53 players together like a jigsaw puzzle. You need unselfish players who play together, who complement each other, who sacrifice for each other. It's about taking advantage of your opponent's mistakes. It's about being situationally aware. It's about disguising your weaknesses and exposing your opponent's weaknesses.

If winning was all about talent, the Skins and Cowboys would've had to add new trophy cases from 1996 - 2010.

Well I concede that I greatly dislike the Eagles.
To say I hate the Eagles implies some existential jealousy beyond that of super fandom. No I didn't want the Eagles to win the SB in 2017. However, The Eagles fans are found wanting historically in this rivalry.

And nothing except 4 unanswered SB trophies will change this.

I'll break it down one more time for all, including several "objective" (actually, chicken **** IMO) fellow Cowboys fans.

Had the Eagles won both games last season, if they were reigning Division Champs, if their QB outplayed Dak Prescott, if they had the better players, if their D was better, if they had the plurality of position advantages:

I would then be forced to concede at that point that the Eagles have the better team, better roster, etc.

However, the opposite is truth. The Cowboys are the Division Champs, they won both games last season, their QB outplayed the Eagles QB in both contests, they have the plurality of roster wide positional advantage, they have a. 667 win percentage against this particular Division Rival since 2016.

Again, this is an objective stance based on FACTS. They cannot be argued with gut feelings or if's and but's or "potential".

So roll that up in a tight little tube, seal it with a kiss: and stuff it straight up the Philly Special.

Last edited:

mmohican29

Reaction score
It's not deceiving at all.

Someone made the claim that Prescott played better than Wentz in those games. How else is one to try to discern who played better? Just your gut feel?

The final score is best indicator in most athletic contests as to who probably played better.