Whispers from the Star (latest 01/31/20 Friday)

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I'm now questioning your belief system.
This is like saying that Egyptian God, Quetzalcoatl, was doing some good things along that Nile area, yeah?
Oh my..

My Egyptian lore is woeful.

Unless I am watching the National Geographic channel I don't get much.

So you don't like Ken Norton or the 9ers?

Or just don't like me anymore?

:lmao2:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Norton is the DC for the Seahawks. He was with the 49ers for like a month to coach up linebackers before the Seahawks hired him and then subsequently fired Richard

Robert Saleh is the 49ers DC. You’ll hear his name about 400 times tomorrow as they talk about the 49ers defense and how Saleh mithr have had a HC job if the 49ers didn’t have such a long playoff run
Got ya.

Thanks.

Seahawks?

That's disappointing.

Like Kenny alot. Tough dude in his day.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I hope you're right, but I'm just a little suspicious. In the beginning McCarthy was planning on calling his own plays. Now he's going to give that up to Moore. I'd rather have seen McCarthy retain the play calling for himself since they're installing a new system. Don't know if that was a concession to Jerry or a decision of his own.
I also would rather see McCarthy call the plays, too.

I want to see what his direct influence is going to be.

But maybe he has too much to do as coach.

He probably thought initially he would call plays..

then when he realized his job scope..

he changed.

Nothing wrong with that really.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When MM was brought in I felt the big plus was him bringing in his WCO. I thought the RBs would do well in MM's, but I'll just have to wait and see what they cook up. Cool thing is Kellen has a HC with skins on the wall to collaborate with.

I think this team's biggest advantage in 2020 with be the lack of predictability. Under the prior coaching staff, opponents always knew what was coming, and that worked to the players' detriment. I think the league should be a bit scared that that level of predictability is gone, while much of the talent (and hopefully even more) remains.

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
I think he just wants something to talk about
Kris and most of these guys will get jobs
May not get the ones they want but they will get jobs
I think MM kept Moore because it makes a transition easier and he liked what they did last year
Terminology can be over came and that’s why they aren’t changing it
But the difference in the two systems is much more than terminology and that’s why he will bridge those differences over a couple years
With Moore he basically has to teach him and not all the players
Moore is a smart guy and I think it will work fine
My biggest concern is not the staff or play calling but players
Next season will be determined by what they do with the roster more than anything
MM and the guys he hired can create a system that works fine but you have to have talent
Getting the guys is gonna be the biggest challenge and will have the biggest impact on what works than anything else
Bridging the terminology and systems only works if you have talent
This coming off season will showcase the difference between proficiency (Mccarthy) and nepotism (Garrett). Your points are right on the money.

quickccc

Reaction score
So everything good was Richard and everything bad was everyone else. Got it.

Richard wasn't shortchanged on DBs, he had an All Pro that was former #1, a #2 pick, a #3 pick and Anthony Brown - who Richard chose to start at slot CB over the 3rd round CB.

And you have an odd definition of "low ball" when the Ravens paid 55 Million to a 30 year old Earl Thomas when he was coming off two major injuries.

Richard was the one he made Byron into an All pro - whereas previous coaches were content and convince he was a natural FS. best coaches play players into the best position to exceed.
Despite what Richard has done for Byron, the No.2 and No.3 rd. draftee you mentioned haven't amounted to anything more than decent to serviceable at best CBs, same could be said for Jordan who has the best INT skills but maybe the most average pure man coverage skills among the previously drafted CBs. Only so much a coach can do .

As for Earl thomas - he may be in his 30's but he still put in far more in '19, en route to another pro bowl, than what any of our current safeties had to offer, ..and did he have a major injury this past year in '19 ?

Kaiser

Reaction score
Richard was the one he made Byron into an All pro - whereas previous coaches were content and convince he was a natural FS. best coaches play players into the best position to exceed.
Despite what Richard has done for Byron, the No.2 and No.3 rd. draftee you mentioned haven't amounted to anything more than decent to serviceable at best CBs, same could be said for Jordan who has the best INT skills but maybe the most average pure man coverage skills among the previously drafted CBs. Only so much a coach can do .

As for Earl thomas - he may be in his 30's but he still put in far more in '19, en route to another pro bowl, than what any of our current safeties had to offer, ..and did he have a major injury this past year in '19 ?

This completely contradicts your earlier post that I was replying to. You said Richard "had to work with the DBs that were already placed here before he arrived" and now say Byron had Pro Bowl talent and all those high draft picks had talent, but poor Kris Richard could only do so much.

Earl Thomas having one good year out of four years on his contract has nothing to do with Dallas giving him a "low ball" offer. If you have something to back that up, please post it. Because its completely made up. No one doubted he had at least one good year left, but no one else in the NFL was willing to go to 55 Million dollars for him.

dcstar

Reaction score
I chuckle every time I see a thread with the "Whispers" title as there is a "gentlemen's club" (and I'm using that term loosely) named Whispers here in my town. :laugh:

Sure it's not "Whiskers"?

Go Cowboys!

Kwyn

Reaction score
I love that those who pay for them fool themselves into believing they are good.

Sturm has to go very extreme to sell subscriptions and folks think its just as real as his days as an independent.

He's sold out and y'all done foolishly bought in.

Sad. The worst.
You hate Bob Sturm’s football knowledge?

he’s a bit of a blowhard at times, on the air anyway, it the man does his homework and puts in the time. He takes it dead serious

Most the local sports media are just personalities who can’t be bothered to really work that hard at their sports research. I like some of them, sure, but very few put in the effort that Sturm does

gotta respect that

or, are you mad because he’s on a site that pays him and doesn’t just do it for free?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For JJ Taylor the intern is Elmo.

maxresdefault.jpg
:lmao2:

quickccc

Reaction score
This completely contradicts your earlier post that I was replying to. You said Richard "had to work with the DBs that were already placed here before he arrived" and now say Byron had Pro Bowl talent and all those high draft picks had talent, but poor Kris Richard could only do so much.

Earl Thomas having one good year out of four years on his contract has nothing to do with Dallas giving him a "low ball" offer. If you have something to back that up, please post it. Because its completely made up. No one doubted he had at least one good year left, but no one else in the NFL was willing to go to 55 Million dollars for him.

Nahh, I don’t see it as a contradiction, but more so as either you’re not understanding or you’re wanting it to be a contradiction.

Byron had talent- , but where did we placed that talent when he arrived here as a 1st rounder ? What full time starting position were our previous coaches totally intent and sold on
him being groomed at the NFL level,.. before Richard arrived ?
In those previous coaches minds, they had Byron pegged as a safety- even his lack of zone awareness, non comfort playing in space and no ball hawk skills made him that much more a poor fit there.
How often have you heard it said that the better coaches know how to best place players in the best position that they can best excel ?

And again I also said it was Richard who immediately upon his arrival, placed Jones in a much better position to excel and be the best he can be, when he immediately converted
him from safety to CB, and based off a coverage scheme that was suitable and perfect for Jones’ size/speed ratio as a press man cover guy.

Earl Thomas has been an productive perennial pro bowler for several years,…
the only times he did not make the pro bowl was his rookie season and the two seasons (2016- 2018) where a fractured fibula ended both seasons.

why else would the Cowboys even consider a high early round trade with Seattle for his services at draft time and probably most of the summer ’18. ?
And why else would SB contending Ravens go after his services if they did not think he’d immediately impact their team. 30 age or not.

Don’t need posted pro stats for that. It’s well known, not made up as you like to believe – that there was legitimate interested in Earl Thomas from the Cowboys..
The big difference seems to be the Cowboys firm stance and limit in acquiring his services, both in via trade … and apparently via free agency.

With Richard being well connected with the Legion of Boom Seahawk defense, we know his well familiarity had to play into play with the flirtation with Earl But it ended up being All for naught .

Trade talk was we likely were aiming to give up a 3rd round pick for Earl at draft time.
Reports were Cowboys were strongly considering it until Conner Williams dropped to their 2nd round slot, and Cowboys tried to contact Seattle

With the Cowboys still willing give up a 3rd rounder, Seattle apparently balked at it in not even responding to Cowboys request.
Thus no Earl, but he eventually becomes a UFA, whereas we no longer have to worry about giving up a high draft pick for his services, ..but Cowboys apparently low balled him to their
offering price and he bounced.

And Earl did not just want to go anywhere else, he had selected teams he was interested in going to, and he clearly made it known that the Cowboys were one of those very few teams.
Ravens were another, they felt themselves as SB contenders, they thought he’d be one of those middle ground players to add to their already talented roster and apparently
they were determined to sign him, and did so.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This is dumb.
Guys get jobs through other guys they have worked with and for.
Rod M is likely done and these other guys will need to find a landing spot.
Once one does dominoes will fall.

DAL slow played it's staff which won't help for immediate hiring.
Some may be fairly high demand and others not so much.
Them not landing in days doesn't really tell us much.
The defense certainly underwhelmed but all these guys recycle though positions regardless of that.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is dumb.
Guys get jobs through other guys they have worked with and for.
Rod M is likely done and these other guys will need to find a landing spot.
Once one does dominoes will fall.

DAL slow played it's staff which won't help for immediate hiring.
Some may be fairly high demand and others not so much.
Them not landing in days doesn't really tell us much.
The defense certainly underwhelmed but all these guys recycle though positions regardless of that.
I'm digging that new signature JT!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
https://www.kesn1033.com/2020/01/31/jam-whispers-from-the-star-offseason-pt-5/

Whispers from the Star for 01/31/20 Friday - Per Jean Jacque Taylor 103.3 ESPN radio Jam Session

Highlights:

- Why hasn't Kris Richard been hired yet ? - what were the plus and minus of Kris Richard

- why hasn't other departed Cowboys assistants been hired yet (Gary Brown, Sandray Lal, Ben Bloom, Greg jackson)

- Is Kellen Moore (Time Based offense) vs Mike McCarthy (West Coast offense) are a future
conflicting recipe for disaster ?
I think the NFL offenses have blended over the past decade or so, there is no pure west coast (which was new and at peak in the late 80s) or pure timing like Jimmy and norv used to run.....there is elements of each in almost every offense. there is no reason Kellen won't learn some of the west coastish schemes and for McCarthy not to learn the timing based..... a lot of it has to do with pre snap motions, creating match up problems for the defenses...