Video: Whitlock on T. Gonzalez: Has Jerry Jones built a legitimate playoff contender?

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Like a lot of teams, we are probably 2 or 3 pieces away from being a genuine super bowl contender and 2 or 3 pieces above being the Raiders.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
How much success will you have with an average to below average coach? Bus driver quarterback is that going to get it done too?

If Bill Parcells coached this team what is our current record?

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I watched the video and had flashbacks to Jim Mora's rant about playoffs:

:laugh:

Romotil45

Reaction score

I'm not ready to say we have an elite defense just yet. The Saints game will tell us if this defense can limit an elite QB. Even if we hold the Saints to under 30 points can we score enough points to win ? Likely not. We should beat the deadskins with Alex Smith out which would put us in position to compete for the East. Its still too early to be asking ourselves can we win a playoff game. Can we win the East is the right question too debate. Maybe we can but only because the Eagles are hung over and banged up and Alex Smith is down. Offensively other than Zeke we are not a good football team. Daks lack of arm talent diminishes what Cooper could do for us. Cooper is a waste as a #1 receiver unless we have the QB to throw it to him vertically. Dak throwing slants, short crossing routes and screen passes to Cooper is a waste. any receiver can do that, he is only worth a 1st round draft pick if we at least try to throw to him vertically. How many shots has Dak thrown to Cooper down the field ? That's not scarring anyone. This over reaction to us winning two games in a row to two teams with a loosing record is just silly.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm amazed at the continued doubt towards Dak, calling him a bus driver? I keep saying, the key to success for this team is the Oline's and Dline's performances. Dak is plenty of good (more than good enough), plus he's smart, a dual-threat and takes care of the football. Zeke is a beast. Cowboys finally have a true #1 WR. Need to go hard and move up in the 2nd round next year and draft Texas 6'5" WR #84 Lil' Jordan Humphries. Then hope Swaim, Schultz and Rico can take it up a notch or two at TE. Plus, with Gallup coming back as a 2nd year semi-starter, and finally the showcase of 6'5" Cedrick Wilson, this Offense will be set.

Still, the key is the Oline. If Coach Marc Colombo (w/help from Hudson Houck) can keep improving this Oline while developing the backups, ooooh baby, this Offense is going to be deadly next year.

The same goes for the Defense. Their key is the Dline. Period. Resign Tank Lawrence to a longterm contract (hope he gives Jerry a little discount). Resign David Irving to a friendly 3 year contract. Redo Tyrone Crawford's contract to a friendly deal. Taco should be improved. Gregory is finally coming along. Resign Antwaun Woods to a friendly 3 year deal. The same goes for Maliek Collins. Plus, all of their backups are starting to gel and pick things up. Now, add our very young and talented LB corps. The same goes for our very young D-secondary? This Defense will be even better next year.

Still, the key to success for our team lies in the trenches. Both sides of the line.
It's a mystery for sure but I think I can shed some light on it:

People only call him a bus driver (or average QB) because they are comparing him to his peers.

latest

Happy Thanksgiving AC :thumbup:

Pants

Reaction score
has Jerry Jones (cough-cough, Will McClay, cough-cough) built a contender? too early to tell....if JJ was dedicated to winning, he would have hired a legit head coach by now...I think earlier this season, many of us (me included) were thinking we had a top 10 pick on our hands and then they traded it away....but, they have survived in the last two games...make no bones about it, in the first half against Atlanta, Dallas was pathetic on offense AGAIN...then, things gelled in the 2nd half....so, the "contender" of which these people speak did not play in the first and 2nd quarters as recently as last week....let's slow down a little and wait and see what happens against Washington

slow-down-breath.jpg

Sydla

Reaction score
I dunno I don't think it's a ridiculous question at all...this team has a proven winning formula for post season success and we appear to be peaking towards the right time. Talent wise we've got enough, coaching may be a completely different matter. We are trending in the right direction at the right time.
If we get into the playoffs this team absolutely can win it all and I have no doubt about that. That actually happening though isn't likely because winning SB's isn't easy for anybody even teams who're good to great year in and year out. Even the greatest QBs to play the game can hardly win a SB unless you're name is Tom Brady. Everything has to align perfectly for a team to win a SB and there's no reason it can't be this team if we're in the playoffs.

Proven formula for post season success?

LOL

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm amazed at the continued doubt towards Dak, calling him a bus driver? I keep saying, the key to success for this team is the Oline's and Dline's performances. Dak is plenty of good (more than good enough), plus he's smart, a dual-threat and takes care of the football. Zeke is a beast. Cowboys finally have a true #1 WR. Need to go hard and move up in the 2nd round next year and draft Texas 6'5" WR #84 Lil' Jordan Humphries. Then hope Swaim, Schultz and Rico can take it up a notch or two at TE. Plus, with Gallup coming back as a 2nd year semi-starter, and finally the showcase of 6'5" Cedrick Wilson, this Offense will be set.

Still, the key is the Oline. If Coach Marc Colombo (w/help from Hudson Houck) can keep improving this Oline while developing the backups, ooooh baby, this Offense is going to be deadly next year.

The same goes for the Defense. Their key is the Dline. Period. Resign Tank Lawrence to a longterm contract (hope he gives Jerry a little discount). Resign David Irving to a friendly 3 year contract. Redo Tyrone Crawford's contract to a friendly deal. Taco should be improved. Gregory is finally coming along. Resign Antwaun Woods to a friendly 3 year deal. The same goes for Maliek Collins. Plus, all of their backups are starting to gel and pick things up. Now, add our very young and talented LB corps. The same goes for our very young D-secondary? This Defense will be even better next year.

Still, the key to success for our team lies in the trenches. Both sides of the line.

LOL.

You question why people call him a game manager (bus driver) and then basically spend the rest of your post explaining why he’s probably that type of a QB.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
LOL.

You question why people call him a game manager (bus driver) and then basically spend the rest of your post explaining why he’s probably that type of a QB.
No. Tried explaining to you how our lines are the key, but that's too much for you to understand.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
has Jerry Jones (cough-cough, Will McClay, cough-cough) built a contender? too early to tell....if JJ was dedicated to winning, he would have hired a legit head coach by now...I think earlier this season, many of us (me included) were thinking we had a top 10 pick on our hands and then they traded it away....but, they have survived in the last two games...make no bones about it, in the first half against Atlanta, Dallas was pathetic on offense AGAIN...then, things gelled in the 2nd half....so, the "contender" of which these people speak did not play in the first and 2nd quarters as recently as last week....let's slow down a little and wait and see what happens against Washington

slow-down-breath.jpg
We probably have a top contending defense. The offense is still to be determined.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You basically said that all these other pieces are now good therefore Dak should be fine.

That’s the definition of game manager.
As a dual threat QB who can average around 230+ yards a game, above 65% completions percentage, keep turnovers at a minimum and help the team win games and reach the playoffs, I'm good with that. Look at it this way, he will come cheaper than the very top QBs, thus allowing the team to resign other key players at the same time.

Win/Win situation. Don't you think?

Romotil45

Reaction score
You basically said that all these other pieces are now good therefore Dak should be fine.

That’s the definition of game manager.

Exactly a QB that needs a top five defense and an elite RB to succeed is a game manager. Sure we can win with Dak with an Elite defense Elite OL and Elite RB. But what happens once we pay Dak can we then afford to hold together an Elite Defense and Elite OL and Elite RB ? The Seahawks held their defense together for what 2-3 years ? If we are going to win with Dak its a very short window. Once we cant play our Elite players it all falls apart, And we are left with a bus driver that cant succeed without Elite players around him.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
when healthy, the defense is good enough to contend...agreed that the offense is a work in progress and that coaching is a decade away from being there
The problem I see is that playing these kind of games always comes down to coaching because the games are so close and the margin of error so thin.

Romotil45

Reaction score
As a dual threat QB who can average around 230+ yards a game, above 65% completions percentage, keep turnovers at a minimum and help the team win games and reach the playoffs, I'm good with that. Look at it this way, he will come cheaper than the very top QBs, thus allowing the team to resign other key players at the same time.

Win/Win situation. Don't you think?

It will not work that way. Even game managers come at a steep price in this league. A QB that needs a top five defense and an elite RB to succeed is a game manager. Sure we can win with Dak with an Elite defense Elite OL and Elite RB. But what happens once we pay Dak can we then afford to hold together an Elite Defense and Elite OL and Elite RB ? The Seahawks held their defense together for what 2-3 years ? If we are going to win with Dak its a very short window. Once we cant pay our Elite players it all falls apart, And we are left with a bus driver that cant succeed without Elite players around him

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
H-m-m. Sounds a tad off that Whitlock still mentions Jerry as the one to credit now when Stephen has pretty much taken the reins of this team.

Nevertheless, our current situation with the Cowboys is one that many teams might look upon with some degree of envy...just food for thought.

With today being Thanksgiving, it should be appropriate to give thanks for what we have, as opposed to a bit dissatisfied and wishing for more.

Last edited:

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I dunno I don't think it's a ridiculous question at all...this team has a proven winning formula for post season success and we appear to be peaking towards the right time. Talent wise we've got enough, coaching may be a completely different matter. We are trending in the right direction at the right time.
If we get into the playoffs this team absolutely can win it all and I have no doubt about that. That actually happening though isn't likely because winning SB's isn't easy for anybody even teams who're good to great year in and year out. Even the greatest QBs to play the game can hardly win a SB unless you're name is Tom Brady. Everything has to align perfectly for a team to win a SB and there's no reason it can't be this team if we're in the playoffs.

i agree we are peaking at the right time, and that worked for the Giants. I agree we have the talent. My opinion is can the coaches wield it correctly. Even if Garrett rides the wave, im ok with that, again thats all the Giants did, great D, average O, but Tom C still knew how to coach. our coachs will make or break us. we have to ride the wave because on our own we couldnt do it. Teams are falling apart, things are linging up, i agree, but the coach still needs to guide the team.