Video: Whitlock on T. Gonzalez: Has Jerry Jones built a legitimate playoff contender?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It will not work that way. Even game managers come at a steep price in this league. A QB that needs a top five defense and an elite RB to succeed is a game manager. Sure we can win with Dak with an Elite defense Elite OL and Elite RB. But what happens once we pay Dak can we then afford to hold together an Elite Defense and Elite OL and Elite RB ? The Seahawks held their defense together for what 2-3 years ? If we are going to win with Dak its a very short window. Once we cant pay our Elite players it all falls apart, And we are left with a bus driver that cant succeed without Elite players around him
Cowboys already tried it your way for 10 seasons with Romo. Only led to 2 playoff wins. Time to give it a rest and see how this new philosophy works out. Renember 10 long seasons with the Romo gunslinging failed philosophy. The very good game managing experiment is here.

ESisback

Reaction score
I'm amazed at the continued doubt towards Dak, calling him a bus driver? I keep saying, the key to success for this team is the Oline's and Dline's performances. Dak is plenty of good (more than good enough), plus he's smart, a dual-threat and takes care of the football. Zeke is a beast. Cowboys finally have a true #1 WR. Need to go hard and move up in the 2nd round next year and draft Texas 6'5" WR #84 Lil' Jordan Humphries. Then hope Swaim, Schultz and Rico can take it up a notch or two at TE. Plus, with Gallup coming back as a 2nd year semi-starter, and finally the showcase of 6'5" Cedrick Wilson, this Offense will be set.

Still, the key is the Oline. If Coach Marc Colombo (w/help from Hudson Houck) can keep improving this Oline while developing the backups, ooooh baby, this Offense is going to be deadly next year.

The same goes for the Defense. Their key is the Dline. Period. Resign Tank Lawrence to a longterm contract (hope he gives Jerry a little discount). Resign David Irving to a friendly 3 year contract. Redo Tyrone Crawford's contract to a friendly deal. Taco should be improved. Gregory is finally coming along. Resign Antwaun Woods to a friendly 3 year deal. The same goes for Maliek Collins. Plus, all of their backups are starting to gel and pick things up. Now, add our very young and talented LB corps. The same goes for our very young D-secondary? This Defense will be even better next year.

Still, the key to success for our team lies in the trenches. Both sides of the line.

The realists will not allow this kind of rainbow filled, Pom Pom nonsense!

Jipper

Reaction score
If we win convincingly today and either beat or near beat the saints then I'll say yes....but a loss today or a win and a blow out next week and it's a resounding no and change the coaching staff

blueblood70

Reaction score
It never bodes well when we’re the favorites. I’d rather be the underdogs.
this is what worries me the most..i hate when we are all being pumped as getting a second chance and that we SHOULD beat the skins today with a backup QB..its typically when my thanksgiving gets ruined..

kskboys

Reaction score
He has.

However, this is when Jerry generally falls short. He'll get to this point and rest on his laurels and quit. What's next, another ST's draft?

The next step is to upgrade at S and DT. That should be our absolute priority. Because those are the positions at which we need some help if we are to contend for a super bowl.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The very good game managing experiment is here.
It is?
giphy.gif

Verdict

Reaction score
Says the guy who keeps bringing up Dez and still thinks he was the source of all our problems.

Hahahahaha.

Yep. That's me! Ha ha ha. I'm the guy basking in the glory of Dez getting cut, not getting a job, and Dez being super glued to his couch playing Madden. Ha ha ha. Love It!!!!!

morat1959

Reaction score
Bwahahahahahahahahaha...is that you Marty McFly? Please tell us more about this “proven winning formula for post season success”.[/QUOTE

The dreamers just blow my mind with their optimism!

morat1959

Reaction score
I'm not ready to say we have an elite defense just yet. The Saints game will tell us if this defense can limit an elite QB. Even if we hold the Saints to under 30 points can we score enough points to win ? Likely not. We should beat the deadskins with Alex Smith out which would put us in position to compete for the East. Its still too early to be asking ourselves can we win a playoff game. Can we win the East is the right question too debate. Maybe we can but only because the Eagles are hung over and banged up and Alex Smith is down. Offensively other than Zeke we are not a good football team. Daks lack of arm talent diminishes what Cooper could do for us. Cooper is a waste as a #1 receiver unless we have the QB to throw it to him vertically. Dak throwing slants, short crossing routes and screen passes to Cooper is a waste. any receiver can do that, he is only worth a 1st round draft pick if we at least try to throw to him vertically. How many shots has Dak thrown to Cooper down the field ? That's not scarring anyone. This over reaction to us winning two games in a row to two teams with a loosing record is just silly.
Well said! The shots Dak has tried over 20 yards haven’t been close. Has he completed 1 pass over 20 yards down the sideline. I remember one to Gallop in maybe the first game??? That’s about it. I hope we hore a real QB coach next season if JJ stays with Dak. He needs a lot of help!

Romotil45

Reaction score
Well said! The shots Dak has tried over 20 yards haven’t been close. Has he completed 1 pass over 20 yards down the sideline. I remember one to Gallop in maybe the first game??? That’s about it. I hope we hore a real QB coach next season if JJ stays with Dak. He needs a lot of help!

Yes he does need help. He never had a gun but in 2016 he was somewhat of a threat on go routes vertically but for some odd reason he has lost some velocity. His go routes in the Atlanta game this year looked like wounded ducks they hung in the air for what seemed like forever. Perhaps he has just become too risk adverse and cannot allow himself to throw a go route with confidence. He needs to connect on a go route in a game to regain that confidence. I would game plan one for him make him practice all week throwing it with velocity. He is too risk adverse. You can tell they have been in his ear about turn overs. They need to back away from that some. He is risk adverse by nature. He needs the confidence to let the ball fly.