Who’s decision was it to make Pollard the primary back?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Truth.

A lot of fans on here said we didn't need to pay/draft a RB.

RBs are a 'dime a dozen' and you just need someone/anyone to carry the rock.

Jerry must have been listening.

Cause we went with scrubs.

Of course it wasn't going to work out.
Yeah the chorus of this nonsense echoes loudly every time we get into the red zone or have a short yardage situation. What has happened to the NFL is that 90% of the talking heads now are ex-QBs and they all have been droning on with the same BS for like two decades: "It's a passing league" "It's a QB driven league" and the latest "You can plug anybody in at running back you don't need to pay one.." Old washed up QBs are largely responsible for the marshmallow soft crap that passes for football on Sundays now. 90% of offensive snaps from shotgun.. running game (and with it run blocking) now a complete afterthought. Don't even talk mean to the QBs and receivers or you will be flagged. And if you hit somebody too hard you will be suspended. All in the name of player safety.. meanwhile we are forcing these guys to play games on less than three days rest. ***!!!

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
Truth.

Exactly this.

Front office did the same thing with WRs before the Cooper trade, they dońt seem to learn at all.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Not even close.
Many here even the OP were the ones preaching to all those that would listen that Pollard could be a Between the tackles type RB, but that was evident his entire career that he could not be that type of back.

Oh the masses came out and declared war on those that said originally that he was not that type of back, he would never just naturally become that type of pounder back.

This offense now lacks that pounder, and I don't want to give up much draft stock for a Henry, but if we can put together a package that doesn't hurt us with picks, I could live with shipping a Cedrick Wilson and comp pick, I guess.

Henry, even at this stage in his career would be a very nice addition, let's not try and fool ourselves out of the proposition.

Cmac

Reaction score
Zeke was always going to be cut at this point of his contract. That's where the money became too big.

The mistake was not cutting Zeke, the mistake was not acquiring a quality RB to share carries w/ Pollard. Did we even check the tires on good backs such as Samaje Perine, James Robinson, or Damien Harris? Those are just 3 guys I know who appear to be good power backs.

And the funny thing is, these power tough yards type backs don't generally cost a fortune. Everyone wants a HR hitter at RB, but you need a short yards guy to side your HR hitter.

It's OK for fans to fall for the HR thingie, it is not OK if your GM buys into it.
Can't dispute your points, but can we agree......it's time to realize the OL isn't as good as people want to think it is.

As for Zeke, I fully understood the money was an issue.....not even sure restructuring was possible or feasible, or the impact to salary cap. But we know he isn't working in NE for the same cash cow, for sure.

Continuous problem with our FO is .........there's a struggle to replace notable people more later than sooner.........Shultz (TE), Coop (WR), Dez (WR), Travis Frederick (OL).

And our FO is running in the rear, while the contenders are grabbing everything off the shelve to be even better.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Can't dispute your points, but can we agree......it's time to realize the OL isn't as good as people want to think it is.

As for Zeke, I fully understood the money was an issue.....not even sure restructuring was possible or feasible, or the impact to salary cap. But we know he isn't working in NE for the same cash cow, for sure.

Continuous problem with our FO is .........there's a struggle to replace notable people more later than sooner.........Shultz (TE), Coop (WR), Dez (WR), Travis Frederick (OL).

And our FO is running in the rear, while the contenders are grabbing everything off the shelve to be even better.
No, continuity is the issue for the entire offense. A total of 3 weeks together and two victories...

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
I dont think Pollard is the reason our run game sucks. Fix the run blocking and he will be good.

Whether or not he holds up all season I don't know. I always wanted another back signed. I'd love to see more Luepke and Dowdle.
I think we will soon see more Dowdle and Luepke because Pollard is going to be hurt soon with the way he's used.

kskboys

Reaction score
Truth.

The "RB's are easy to find" thingie is simply not true.

kskboys

Reaction score

Always comes down to the same thing. Our GM has a complete inability to evaluate talent at the NFL level.

IceBowler

Reaction score
Tony not only isn't an every-down back, but he was also never even an RB throughout his college career. Saw him play every game during his time at Memphis and he was electric in space, great out of the slot and had outside breakaway speed. He might have carried the ball from the backfield 2 or 3 times a game - no more. That he was is used as a running back has always been a debacle to me.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Pollard is franchised correct?

Who cares if we overplayed. You go get Henry in my opinion.

Sydla

Reaction score
It is if you know what you are doing and have a coach that knows how to work a run game.

Put it another way. You put Pollard and Dowdle and Vaughn in Philly behind that OL and that coaching staff? Yeah, they probably look just fine.

Or if our OC is Mike McDaniel who is a great schemer and play caller? Yeah, we’d be fine.

kskboys

Reaction score
It is if you know what you are doing and have a coach that knows how to work a run game.
Then why are the high majority of starting RBs in the NFL 1st and 2nd round picks?

Man, I do agree w/ you on almost everything, just not this one. Finding the Pacheco's of the NFL is a rare thing, mostly you need to go high to get a good one.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Many here even the OP were the ones preaching to all those that would listen that Pollard could be a Between the tackles type RB, but that was evident his entire career that he could not be that type of back.

Oh the masses came out and declared war on those that said originally that he was not that type of back, he would never just naturally become that type of pounder back.

This offense now lacks that pounder, and I don't want to give up much draft stock for a Henry, but if we can put together a package that doesn't hurt us with picks, I could live with shipping a Cedrick Wilson and comp pick, I guess.

Henry, even at this stage in his career would be a very nice addition, let's not try and fool ourselves out of the proposition.
Thanks to the gang for not calling me out on my obvious "Donovan" oversite....

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Stop being so negative....

Are people just now seeing that Pollard isn't being used like he was last season? Seems to me they are trying to turn Pollard into Zeke and having him smash into the line.
That's all I see him doing, run to the line, put his head down, and try to get yards!

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Tony not only isn't an every-down back, but he was also never even an RB throughout his college career. Saw him play every game during his time at Memphis and he was electric in space, great out of the slot and had outside breakaway speed. He might have carried the ball from the backfield 2 or 3 times a game - no more. That he was is used as a running back has always been a debacle to me.
It is rather annoying that TP doesn't get more involved receiving.
He could be a legit threat, yet we hesitate.
We have at least recognized it maybe with through 7 weeks is 25 -276yds receiving and no TDs.
The 0 TDs should be the indicator of the Red Zone issues.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yeah.. people conflate "easier" with "easy." Yes running backs are easier to find than say good left tackles because more of the human population fits into the body mold of a running ... 5'8" to 6'2" 185 to 230 pounds as opposed to 6'3" - 6'7" 300 to 340 pounds for left tackles. There is simply MORE candidates from which to choose. But if you get a great one you need to saddle up and ride him. You don't build your entire offense around him rather you try to pair him with a top shelf passing attack and a good o-line and your offense becomes unstoppable. Building the entire offense around any one player is folly and to my knowledge has never worked for anybody in the NFL. At least not to the extent of the ultimate goal which is winning championships. No matter how great the QB, WR or RB is, if the rest of the team around him is trash then the results will be trash. It plays out every year in the NFL yet a dozen teams will try the same stupid track every season.