Who’s decision was it to make Pollard the primary back?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Watch the games much?

The blocking schemes and blocking itself has been mediocre at best! Pollard is a quality back. He is not the issue!

Some of you people have no clue.
I didn't say Pollard wasn't a quality back and I don't think most who are commenting about it have said that. He's just not a back you want to pound up the middle over and over again. He's at his best on the edges where he can use his speed and ability in space. Yes, there have been issues with the blocking, but there have been issues with the running as well.

My opinion is if we're not going to pair him with a pounder, which it appears that we are not, we need to get him outside the tackles more. Was rewatching the Giants game in the first half and there was a little toss play we ran to Turpin where he picked up about 8 or 9 yards going around left tackle. Later on, we ran a similar toss play to Pollard near the goal line and he cut it up to score. We got the running game to the outside on those plays and it was effective. Now, you have to run between the tackles some, but with the backs we've got, we need to being doing more sweeps and toss plays.

What I'd like to see is us set up with the fullback in there to either dive with him, pitch it to Pollard around the end or have Dak fake the pitch and take it the other direction depending on the defense.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
I didn't say Pollard wasn't a quality back and I don't think most who are commenting about it have said that. He's just not a back you want to pound up the middle over and over again. He's at his best on the edges where he can use his speed and ability in space. Yes, there have been issues with the blocking, but there have been issues with the running as well.

My opinion is if we're not going to pair him with a pounder, which it appears that we are not, we need to get him outside the tackles more. Was rewatching the Giants game in the first half and there was a little toss play we ran to Turpin where he picked up about 8 or 9 yards going around left tackle. Later on, we ran a similar toss play to Pollard near the goal line and he cut it up to score. We got the running game to the outside on those plays and it was effective. Now, you have to run between the tackles some, but with the backs we've got, we need to being doing more sweeps and toss plays.

What I'd like to see is us set up with the fullback in there to either dive with him, pitch it to Pollard around the end or have Dak fake the pitch and take it the other direction depending on the defense.
Not only that, we have done this(and ruined) several RBs. Trying to make a good comp back into a bell cow. Felix Jones, Darren McFadden, Marion Barber. Why are we so bad at evaluating personnel?

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
What?
It is obvious the blocking scheme and O line are the issue WAY more than Pollard!
Blocking scheme and Oline play are not the only factors for a running game to be succesful, if that was true anybody could push the pile and run between the tackles.

We need a RB with power and that can break the first tackle and get the though yards in the red zone, that is not TP's game, he is more effective when the defense is already worked out and he uses his speed running outside the tackles.

jrumann59

Reaction score
It is the same problem the team had under JG when all the offense would run is 10 yard hooks. When the defense knows you are going throw short passes they crowd the box make it easier to defend short passes and the run. MM offense looks like JG offense when they fired linehan a bunch of short routes that are easily covered and the check down is the only option.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ah. Run blocking and scheme sucks. Pollard is a very good back. The problems with the OL are many, and I don't think you guys are barking up the right tree here.

It's kind of silly how everyone thinks Zeke or Henry or someone who weighs 15 lbs more is going to rip open big holes or blow through red zone defenses.

Our running game isn't good because of scheme and OL, not our RB.
This issue is not new with this team.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
They wanted to waste a second rounder on a backup run blocking tight end rather than a guy who could touch the ball 20-30 times a game. This is were their heads are located.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How many Superbowls did they win with 1-2 combo before?
I'm talking about winning games against a very tough schedule. Where did I mention Superbowls?

In case you haven't noticed, their redzone success is pretty low.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
you guys were thumping your chest pointing to the sky after Zeke got cut. Thinking tiny and the midget could do what he did. Now midget is gone and tiny isn't cutting it. I think the OP made the decision. :D