Who’s decision was it to make Pollard the primary back?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Pollard isn't critical to the offense. They wanted a high flying passing attack.
Whoops!
Use him at wr then. Bench MG and use him in the slot. That means Rico would be our starter. Kinda scary unless we get a RB.

Rayman70

Reaction score
What were you suggesting during the off season?
That we draft a RB or trade for Henry if available. Instead, we sign Ronald Jones and hes been cut. Now we have created issues that could have been avoided. Wasn't a fan of tagging 20.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He’s too small. He wasn’t even the featured back at Memphis.
I don't think size is the issue. There are other starting running backs his size who do perfectly fine. I do think role is the issue. I think Pollard is a role-playing back who we are treating like Ezekiel Elliott, requiring a bunch of middle runs to tighten up the defense when he needs to run outside-in. I don't know if durability is an issue, but certainly when he got more carries last year, his body didn't hold up to it.

His numbers last year (and Elliott's numbers) showed that Pollard deserved more of a chance to carry the ball, but there is a difference in what is asked of the starter and what is asked of the change of pace. Fans (and front offices, too) fall into the trap of believing what a player accomplishes in a backup/change-of-pace role will translate to what he accomplishes in a starter role. Sometimes it does, but often it does not. He's still averaging 4.2 per carry and anyone who was expecting him to average 5.2 like he did last year when he was sharing the load wasn't being realistic. Football is a complementary game, and we have no complement to let him do what he does best.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Funny, but many on this board wanted Pollard as the number one back. For the past 2 to 3 years there’s been fans that were convinced that if we started him and gave him the brunt of the load he would be breaking long runs every week and put up 1200+ yards. Lol I argued with more fans than I could count that Pollard wouldn’t be as effective as a starter but I was repeatedly told I was wrong. Lol I kept saying we need to get a bigger back to play in front of him but no one would listen. The team certainly didn’t listen. It’s not like I was the only one saying it.

Kwyn

Reaction score
That we draft a RB or trade for Henry if available. Instead, we sign Ronald Jones and hes been cut. Now we have created issues that could have been avoided. Wasn't a fan of tagging 20.
Ronald jones is bottom of the roster move and has zero bearing on how we approached the running game.

He could have been anyone.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't think size is the issue. There are other starting running backs his size who do perfectly fine. I do think role is the issue. I think Pollard is a role-playing back who we are treating like Ezekiel Elliott, requiring a bunch of middle runs to tighten up the defense when he needs to run outside-in. I don't know if durability is an issue, but certainly when he got more carries last year, his body didn't hold up to it.

His numbers last year (and Elliott's numbers) showed that Pollard deserved more of a chance to carry the ball, but there is a difference in what is asked of the starter and what is asked of the change of pace. Fans (and front offices, too) fall into the trap of believing what a player accomplishes in a backup/change-of-pace role will translate to what he accomplishes in a starter role. Sometimes it does, but often it does not. He's still averaging 4.2 per carry and anyone who was expecting him to average 5.2 like he did last year when he was sharing the load wasn't being realistic. Football is a complementary game, and we have no complement to let him do what he does best.
We can agree to disagree.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Ronald jones is bottom of the roster move and has zero bearing on how we approached the running game.

He could have been anyone.
and I agree with that assessment. Thats my point. We actually thought RJ would fix things. Again, its arrogance. Who said rb is matters.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This was from January. This is how carried away some fans were with Pollard. :rolleyes: Who wouldn’t take McCaffrety over Pollard? Lol

Pollard is a better rb than mccaffrey in terms of rushing only. I'd give my cmac the edge in the receiving game
Pollard is faster, a little more elusive, and just as powerful. They both are tough backs, especially for their size. Pollard catches just as well, but does not get as many opportunities as McCaffrey. McCaffrey can handle a little bit more of a workload.

Pollard is every bit as good as McCaffrey!
Lol

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/pollard-vs-mccaffery.506742/

Kwyn

Reaction score
and I agree with that assessment. Thats my point. We actually thought RJ would fix things. Again, its arrogance. Who said rb is matters.
We never thought he would fix anything. Not the coaches and not the fans. He’s just someone to run practice reps.

Rayman70

Reaction score
We never thought he would fix anything. Not the coaches and not the fans. He’s just someone to run practice reps.
you and I and many fans knew that. Maybe even the staff, but the man named Jerry Jones thought differently. I assure u, Jerry in his thinking, thought they could catch lightning in a bottle with him and for cheap. I never liked it. We never addressed it right. So the fact we can't run isn't a shock. THEN the line has issues.

Kwyn

Reaction score
you and I and many fans knew that. Maybe even the staff, but the man named Jerry Jones thought differently. I assure u, Jerry in his thinking, thought they could catch lightning in a bottle with him and for cheap. I never liked it. We never addressed it right. So the fact we can't run isn't a shock. THEN the line has issues.
Dude. The idea that Jerry had more than a passive awareness of Jones is a stretch and the idea that he thought RJ was some kind of answer is just silly.

We had RB needs. I really don’t think that RJ, half a step from being cut or at best on the PS, was part of Jerry’s plan doesn’t make any sense.

Let’s be upset that we didnt properly address RB but let’s take Jones out of the discussion.