Who’s decision was it to make Pollard the primary back?

kskboys

Reaction score
Dude. The idea that Jerry had more than a passive awareness of Jones is a stretch and the idea that he thought RJ was some kind of answer is just silly.

We had RB needs. I really don’t think that RJ, half a step from being cut or at best on the PS, was part of Jerry’s plan doesn’t make any sense.

Let’s be upset that we didnt properly address RB but let’s take Jones out of the discussion.
Why? How did you miss the fact that he is the GM, and so is responsible for this? I mean, c'mon, this is obvious.

kskboys

Reaction score
Funny, but many on this board wanted Pollard as the number one back. For the past 2 to 3 years there’s been fans that were convinced that if we started him and gave him the brunt of the load he would be breaking long runs every week and put up 1200+ yards. Lol I argued with more fans than I could count that Pollard wouldn’t be as effective as a starter but I was repeatedly told I was wrong. Lol I kept saying we need to get a bigger back to play in front of him but no one would listen. The team certainly didn’t listen. It’s not like I was the only one saying it.
Pollard reminds me of when we had McF. Numbers looked all right, but he was ineffective as the starter.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Why? How did you miss the fact that he is the GM, and so is responsible for this? I mean, c'mon, this is obvious.
Come on. Every team has bottom of the roster dudes!

You’re saying that every single dude on our roster, both active and practice, was projected as a star.

That’s not how the NFL works. No GM anywhere is working that angle.

Sometimes you carry a player just because he knows how to get to the practice facility and that’s better than some random stranger off the street.

He’s like our 5th RB!?!

Might as well go off on Deuce or Luepke … guys who are on the active roster.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I was never in his corner for RB1, even said the tag was a mistake but much better than giving him a Zeke type of deal. Going forward, let him walk after the season.

movaughn88

Reaction score
Whomever it was should be fired. PLEASE TRADE FOR A REAL #1 RB!
Ah. Run blocking and scheme sucks. Pollard is a very good back. The problems with the OL are many, and I don't think you guys are barking up the right tree here.

It's kind of silly how everyone thinks Zeke or Henry or someone who weighs 15 lbs more is going to rip open big holes or blow through red zone defenses.

Our running game isn't good because of scheme and OL, not our RB.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Come on. Every team has bottom of the roster dudes!

You’re saying that every single dude on our roster, both active and practice, was projected as a star.

That’s not how the NFL works. No GM anywhere is working that angle.

Sometimes you carry a player just because he knows how to get to the practice facility and that’s better than some random stranger off the street.

He’s like our 5th RB!?!

Might as well go off on Deuce or Luepke … guys who are on the active roster.
A 6th round pick and a UDFA? :laugh:

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I thought tagging him was a mistake, especially given the current running back market and how many FAs were available this offseason.

This team is overly obsessed with "their players".

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I thought tagging him was a mistake, especially given the current running back market and how many FAs were available this offseason.

This team is overly obsessed with "their players".
Jerry is a softie to a fault.

plasticman

Reaction score
Why is anybody shocked?

Ultimately, the decision was made by the same guy who once claimed that Emmitt Smith was a luxury and not a necessity. His replacement RB's performance and 0-2 start demonstrated otherwise.

This was the same guy who lowballed the RB that set the Dallas Cowboy single season rushing record and claimed that a 5th round pick could do the same job. That 5th round RB lasted about 4 games and averaged less than 2 yards a carry after the 1st quarter.

He promoted Marion Barber as the starter because he played so well in the redzone and the 4th quarter. They let their former 2nd round pick and thousand yard rusher walk.

So how did all these RB's differ to the ones they replaced?

The RB's they replaced were all high draft picks with elite productivity in college. They had the physical attributes to endure the more physical aspects of the game. They had stamina. They had a more diverse skill set. They were able to get the dirty yards on a consistent basis.

Derrick Lassic, Marion Barber, Joseph Randle and Tony Pollard experienced their greatest success when entering the game after the original starter endured the opponent's best efforts, when they were fresh. Now, with fatigue becoming a factor, the former backups were able to take advantage of a tiring defense.

I have said all offseason that it was imperative to find a 2nd legitimate RB to share the carries. You can already sense Pollard's fatigue. He is wearing down. I hope that the bye will rejuvenate him to a degree but to create a squad of undrafted free agents and a 6th round curiosity was pure folly. The lack of productivity could possibly render the offense one-dimensional, the nightmare scenario.

EversonIWasAYoungBoy

Reaction score
Both those players sucked. Duh.
Wentz got them to a Super Bowl, duh.

The argument was that since pollard got paid he needs to be the starter…which is something losing teams do. Jerry refuses to admit mistakes and won’t move on…see Clapper…

Pollard isn’t the guy, he needs to find the guy