Who’s to say that Tolbert or Fehoko, Brown, Vasher or Turbin isn’t the answer?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
There’s so much negativity posted here about the WR position and the OL position. It’s like CZ posters actually know what’s going on in practice, in the locker room , in the classroom. This place is flooded with posters who think they know more than the Cowboys scouts, coaches.

Who’s to say Biadiaz, Farniok, McGovern, Tyler Smith, Josh Ball, Alarcon aren’t the answer?

The truth is that no one can say 100% on any of this. Every year is a different team. So the haters like P and M and C out there who consistently crap on the QB, and thus the Cowboys, do not know squat. They HOPE that the Cowboys fail so they can blame the QB. But it’s only hope on their part. And that my friends, is sad.

plymkr

Reaction score
There’s so much negativity posted here about the WR position and the OL position. It’s like CZ posters actually know what’s going on in practice, in the locker room , in the classroom. This place is flooded with posters who think they know more than the Cowboys scouts, coaches.

Who’s to say Biadiaz, Farniok, McGovern, Tyler Smith, Josh Ball, Alarcon aren’t the answer?

The truth is that no one can say 100% on any of this. Every year is a different team. So the haters like P and M and C out there who consistently crap on the QB, and thus the Cowboys, do not know squat. They HOPE that the Cowboys fail so they can blame the QB. But it’s only hope on their part. And that my friends, is sad.
No one thought much of Miles Austin until he blew up and started balling. Same with Doug Free. And more recently Steele. I mean seriously who thought Steele would be good in 21 after the 20 season. Every season is different and we have no idea who will rise to the occasion or who will not play so well. So I'm glad the FO isn't panicking and trading draft capital for a receiver. Vasher, Simi, Tolbert could all elevate their game and we'll be fine.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Everything in football can be broken down into probability. Drafting, hiring coaches, analytics… it’s all about playing the best hand you can and trying to skew the chances to your favor. Nothing favorable is assured, and on the flip side, sometimes even perceived bad decisions are home runs.

What is the probability the worst guy on the roster becomes the best guy? In 2016 you decided to roll the dice with Dak instead of bringing in another quarterback. And it worked better than anyone could have foreseen. Then in 2018, you cut Dez and decided to roll with a very mediocre receiver group. It turned out that mediocre would have been a complement to that group, and it crippled the team. So badly, in fact, that Jerry was forced to splurge for yet another 1st round pick-for-WR trade. In hindsight, he probably overpaid a bit for Amari, and then was forced to overpay once again in contract talks so as to not lose out on that first round investment. Dumping that contract burden was one of the highlights of this offseason.

So what is the probability there is a Dak Prescott in that receiver room? Could happen. Or, what is the probability we’ll see 2018 over again (even if for a short period until players return)? To sign an inexpensive veteran or trade for some insurance in the position can only improve your odds of success. What is the downside? Noah Brown gets fewer opportunities to show he’s still Noah Brown? What is the risk if Tolbert isn’t an instant star his rookie season as few receivers are? Some big games early on.

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Everything in football can be broken down into probability. Drafting, hiring coaches, analytics… it’s all about playing the best hand you can and trying to skew the chances to your favor. Nothing favorable is assured, and on the flip side, sometimes even perceived bad decisions are home runs.

What is the probability the worst guy on the roster becomes the best guy? In 2016 you decided to roll the dice with Dak instead of bringing in another quarterback. And it worked better than anyone could have foreseen. Then in 2018, you cut Dez and decided to roll with a very mediocre receiver group. It turned out that mediocre would have been a complement to that group, and it crippled the team. So badly, in fact, that Jerry was forced to splurge for yet another 1st round pick-for-WR trade. In hindsight, he probably overpaid a bit for Amari, and then was forced to overpay once again in contract talks so as to not lose out on that first round investment. Dumping that contract burden was one of the highlights of this offseason.

So what is the probability there is a Dak Prescott in that receiver room? Could happen. Or, what is the probability we’ll see 2018 over again (even if for a short period until players return)? To sign an inexpensive veteran or trade for some insurance in the position can only improve your odds of success. What is the downside? Noah Brown gets fewer opportunities to show he’s still Noah Brown? What is the risk if Tolbert isn’t an instant star his rookie season as few receivers are? Some big games early on.
I like this take. Probability plays heavily in this sport. The perfect example of this that I can think of was the year David Tyree caught the ball pinned to his helmet and help the Giants beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl. He never played another NFL game.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

You're not a big fan of critical thinking are you

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

No.

Hoping, praying and trusting is awnser

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm sorry but I just have to.....:p

glimmerman

Reaction score

And with only 2 preseason games. The first game or 2 of regular season is still not showing what we have. Our practice is just practice right now. Everything is vanilla.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So the past 25 years mean nothing
We just need to trust in the organization
Those of us who played the game (at any level) and have studied the game for decades aren't going to gloss over potential problems, or the FACT that the brain trust overpays pet cats and refuses to cut bait. Players love to use the phrase it's just a job, well if it's a job, do your damn job.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're not a big fan of critical thinking are you
That's why he gets to enjoy the game and not whine and cry in his beer everytime Jerry has a press conference, Dak throws a bad pass, Tyler Smith pancakes someone in practice....etc. The more you let things you can't change consume you, you lost the enjoyment. Some fans of any sport or team even complain after wins. Weak division, should have won by 21, Zeke didn't run for 100 yards, blah, blah, blah!
Enjoy the season. @Rockport
I know I will, no matter the outcome.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So the past 25 years mean nothing
We just need to trust in the organization
Those of us who played the game (at any level) and have studied the game for decades aren't going to gloss over potential problems, or the FACT that the brain trust overpays pet cats and refuses to cut bait. Players love to use the phrase it's just a job, well if it's a job, do your damn job.
I played or coached for 37 years....I worried about my teams, because it was my job and I had control. I don't worry about the Cowboys, they are purely entertainment for me. One game at a time and hope for the best. Yes, hope.....since anything I say or do won't change them....I just hope we win.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i hate washington getting hurt but the one position group deep enough numbers wise to absorb an injury is wr.
i'm excited to see tolbert...vasher...houston...brown...fehoko and turpin have some opportunities to provide answers.
10 healthy receivers fightn' for 6 or 7 spots.
pre-season will be fun to watch it play out.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I go by what I see, nothing to do with what the coaches or FO tell me. These practices are nice, but I go by what I see in games.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score

Right on Bro.

I am definitely going to wait until the end of the season to decide he sucked again.

coult44

Reaction score

Its been a while Amber since we talked. But this one made me chime in. You know what the team scouts are saying? You know what the insiders are saying about the coaches opinions? They are all saying they need help at WR and OT. That’s not just the opinion of fans or media. That’s the opinion of VERY SMART football people. We did this a few years ago, don’t you remember ? We tried the WR by committee approach. Then they traded for Amari and Dak was instantly better. C’mon man, you know this too. Don’t regress!!!