Who Do You Take? Calvin Johnson or Dez Bryant

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Just for fun, but who do you take if you had the choice of making Dez Bryant or Calvin Johnson your team's No. 1 receiver?

We all know how great Dez has been in the short amount of time he's been here.

Don't sleep on Calvin Johnson though. His exploits don't get shown too much because he plays in Detroit and has been teamed with horrid QB's most of his brief career (things may change with Stafford).

Your thoughts?

jblaze2004

Reaction score
right now calvin johnson, he is bigger and faster but maybe not as agile as bryant. Calvin is a beast of a recieve I call him more of a freak than randy moss.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
It's not even close, Dez.

And I mean that being objective as possible. Dez has far better hands and gets far better separation. I'd easily take Miles over CJ as well. I like CJ, but he's a bit overrated IMO. He struggles to get separation and doesn't make as many tough catches like he should. Dez, Hakeem Nicks and Miles....I think are just about as good as it gets for me.

YR

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Why would that be even a question? YOu would take either of them and be happy as anyone could be. But Calvin has shown more in NFL than Dez.

Calvin is a stud. But key thing with all these comparisons of Dez vs Calvin or Nicks etc. is that, Dez brings something none of the other Star or potential Star WRs have. He is amazing Punt Returner/Kick Returner. He is like Deion Sanders in that, everytime he takes the ball on Punt returns or Kick returns, if there is a little space, you can expect either big return or TD.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;3702671 said:

And I mean that being objective as possible. Dez has far better hands and gets far better separation. I'd easily take Miles over CJ as well. I like CJ, but he's a bit overrated IMO. He struggles to get separation and doesn't make as many tough catches like he should. Dez, Hakeem Nicks and Miles....I think are just about as good as it gets for me.

YR

Dude, serioiusly, you got to be blind to say that. What a rediculous statement. I have seen enough of his games to say, that, its an idiotic statement to say he doesn't get seperation or isn't tough. He might be injury prone a bit, if thats what lack of toughness is, other than, Calvin is a stud.

ONly reason he is not better is because of the QB situation. But when Stafford is in, he shows up as the stud he is.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
RCowboyFan;3702682 said:
Why would that be even a question? YOu would take either of them and be happy as anyone could be. But Calvin has shown more in NFL than Dez.

Calvin is a stud. But key thing with all these comparisons of Dez vs Calvin or Nicks etc. is that, Dez brings something none of the other Star or potential Star WRs have. He is amazing Punt Returner/Kick Returner. He is like Deion Sanders in that, everytime he takes the ball on Punt returns or Kick returns, if there is a little space, you can expect either big return or TD.

In punt returns, not kick returns.

NeonDeion21

Reaction score

YR

49 Catches 679 Yards and 9 TD's through 9 games for Calvin Johnson. He is doubled team'ed on every play and he is consistanly playing with 2nd and 3rd string QB's. I just think to say CJ is over-rated is a little bit of a stretch.

bracey

Reaction score
I'd take Calvin right now. Dez's future ceiling is probably higher though.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
NeonDeion21;3702696 said:
49 Catches 679 Yards and 9 TD's through 9 games for Calvin Johnson. He is doubled team'ed on every play and he is consistanly playing with 2nd and 3rd string QB's. I just think to say CJ is over-rated is a little bit of a stretch.

A better way to emphasize your point is to ask if anyone knows who plays opposite of Calvin Johnson as the No. 2 WR for the Lions?

7footer

Reaction score
Right now, Calvin...

That said, I wouldn't trade Dez for CJ even now because I think Dez will become the leagues best receiver within the next 2 years. He's a special kind of talent that only comes around once every few decades.

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
If I had to choose, I think I'd go with Megatron! Then again, Dezzie's return skills give him a dynamic CJ doesn't possess! I don't think you go wrong either way & I definitely am loving #88 vers 3.0 in a Dallas jersey so my final answer is...

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Not saying I would take Calvin over Dez, but just for some perspective:

In 2008, Johnson put up 78 catches for 1331 yards and 12 TDs.

That was with Dan Orlovsky, Jon Kitna and Duante Culpepper as his QBs.

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
realtick;3702703 said:
A better way to emphasize your point is to ask if anyone knows who plays opposite of Calvin Johnson as the No. 2 WR for the Lions?

I would have mentioned that, but recently the Lions have been getting better play out of #2 WR Nate Burleson. Not quite Miles Austin, but you know what I mean.

Reaction score
If I'm building a team and I can take one, I'm taking Dez. Both guys are unbelievable receivers, but I like a guy that has the fire Dez does. I foresee Dez being a fiery leader on the field like Irvin was in a couple years when he's a vet, and I love having a guy like that.

You certainly couldn't go wrong with either.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score

YR

lol.

Only on CZ.

DFWJC

Reaction score
RCowboyFan;3702692 said:
Dude, serioiusly, you got to be blind to say that. What a rediculous statement. I have seen enough of his games to say, that, its an idiotic statement to say he doesn't get seperation or isn't tough. He might be injury prone a bit, if thats what lack of toughness is, other than, Calvin is a stud.

ONly reason he is not better is because of the QB situation. But when Stafford is in, he shows up as the stud he is.
:laugh2:
I was thinking the same thing...as if maybe it was some sort of hoax message. That there was no way someone could be that far off. Also, very few players draw double teams like Cal J. He's quite possibly the most double-teamed player in the league..except occasionally Roddy White.
CJ is a total beast.
Having said that, I love our guy too...let's just say he's a beast in the making. Dez reminds me a lot of Hakeem Nicks.

Oh well, every's entitled to an opinion.

Reaction score
BehindEnemyLinez;3702712 said:
If I had to choose, I think I'd go with Megatron! Then again, Dezzie's return skills give him a dynamic CJ doesn't possess! I don't think you go wrong either way & I definitely am loving #88 vers 3.0 in a Dallas jersey so my final answer is...

What do you mean 88 v 3.0? I think you're forgetting about some beasts by the names of Antonio Bryant and Brett Pierce. :lmao:

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
DFWJC;3702731 said:
:laugh2:
I was thinking the same thing...as if maybe it was some sort of hoax message. That there was no way someone could be that far off. Also, very few players draw double teams like Cal J. He's quite possibly the most double-teamed player in the league..except occasionally Roddy White.
CJ is a total beast.
Having said that, I love our guy too...let's just say he's a beast in the making. Dez reminds me a lot of Hakeem Nicks.

Oh well, every's entitled to an opinion.

Is that because both are young WR's wearing number 88 with big hands?

DFWJC

Reaction score
NeonDeion21;3702735 said:
Is that because both are young WR's wearing number 88 with big hands?
That too..I guess. :D
Other useless trivia...both drafted in the later part of round 1 by NFC East teams.

Seriously though: they both have great hands, leaping ability, and body control. Both can be physical and can catch in traffic or they can separate.
They both even have the exact same yards per catch.

Nicks just has an extra year on Dez, so he has started all year...and is second in the NFC in receiving behind White.