Who else is still riding the high of Jason Garret being gone?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I didn't really want to start a thread on this topic, but I'm seriously wondering if anyone else is still feeling incredibly happy now that Garrett is someone else's problem?

It was obvious to most of us pretty early on that he didn't have the skills to get team over the hump so it was definitely one of the most difficult things I've had to endure as a fan watching him stick around year after year.

I know many of you are ready to give up on Big Mike already, but at least he has won a super bowl, and in my opinion, has a winning pedigree and understands how to put together a team. We need to keep an open mind with Big Mike at this point, last year can't be the barometer in my opinion.

I also want to apologize to my forum members who will cringe when they see another Jason garret thread! Bottom line, I'm still like a kid in a candy store knowing he's gone.

I need to see wins.

Bringing in Quinn helps.

If/When this Big Mike experiment blows up, he can take over.

MikeB80

Reaction score
The team was a mess last year. No offseason, no preseason.. Garrett was here 13 years, had all those things and still sucked. One season with a new coach through a pandemic and a boatload of injuries and the expectations seem very unrealistic. Then you sit here and pretend Garrett would've done better under the same circumstances?

when did I say garrett would have done better. I never said that and you are just filling in blanks. I don't like garrett.

The mess of last year has nothing to do with terrible decisions in game. The guy cost the team games last year with bad in game decisions.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I didn't really want to start a thread on this topic, but I'm seriously wondering if anyone else is still feeling incredibly happy now that Garrett is someone else's problem?

It was obvious to most of us pretty early on that he didn't have the skills to get team over the hump so it was definitely one of the most difficult things I've had to endure as a fan watching him stick around year after year.

I know many of you are ready to give up on Big Mike already, but at least he has won a super bowl, and in my opinion, has a winning pedigree and understands how to put together a team. We need to keep an open mind with Big Mike at this point, last year can't be the barometer in my opinion.

I also want to apologize to my forum members who will cringe when they see another Jason garret thread! Bottom line, I'm still like a kid in a candy store knowing he's gone.
he had a great knack for snatching defeat from jaws of victory. his players liked him, but he often was awful on game day management, which is critical and he made some moves on coaching staff too late. if he was head coach in NE, Brady wouldn't have a ring.....

johneric8

Reaction score
Try not to ride too high. Garrett's clone Kellen Moore may just toss MM under the bus to become Dallas's new HC in the future.
My dad always taught me not to borrow trouble, so I would suggest you heed those words as well.. There is no evidence that suggest Kellen is a Garret clone! He was brought in by linehan and has a very bight mind in terms of putting together plays. For you to suggest he is the next Garret and trying to undermine Big Mike is an unfortunate waste of time. Anyone whom has listened to Kellen's press conferences knows he doesn't have the presence to be a head coach.

johneric8

Reaction score
Nah..... no real difference who Jerry's new "YES" man is......and ya we still suck!@
We shall see, but I see the dynamic with Big Mike and Jerry a little different because at least Mike has some credibility while Garrett never did. I still say
that many are selling Big Mike short way too soon. Sure it's fashionable as a Boy's fan to bag on Big Mike, but I think it's premature personally at this point.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
2020 version of me at this time - "Absolutely!"
2021 version of me right now - "Nope, we still suck."

lol. Last year may have been proof that no coach can win here as long as Jerry is in charge. I’ll give MM another year before I conclude this.

johneric8

Reaction score
I was too absorbed with trying to understand some of the most boneheaded decisions McCarthy made last year to even think about Garrett.
Yes, it would be foolish to not notice some of the blunders, but sometimes we have to also equally look for positives and there are tons of those as well. All you have to do is watch his interviews to see that he is direct and to the point in his answers. The man definitely has a plan to fix this thing and not scared to go against the grain.

johneric8

Reaction score
MM had some bad moments with in game management last year. And certainly the Nolan thing was catastrophe.

However the draft and training camp thus far have been great.

You get these biased fans on here that loved Garrett so its hard for them to accept someone else. Same thing with Romo and Dak.
But here is the deal, his blunders last year aren't much different than many other NFL coaches so why must we just focus on mistakes? It was a bad year for a multitude of reasons, and Mike McCarthy was a coach trying to pull a Rabbit out of a hat minus the Rabbit. I think we need to tap the breaks a bit because last year was ridiculous on so many levels.

johneric8

Reaction score
he had a great knack for snatching defeat from jaws of victory. his players liked him, but he often was awful on game day management, which is critical and he made some moves on coaching staff too late. if he was head coach in NE, Brady wouldn't have a ring.....
I agree with you.. Garret was incapable of being consistent with in game management, he was horrible. This is where I think Big Mike is much better! He is willing to actually gameplan for the opponent and switch things up. I don't think you can look at last year with all the injuries and a lack of training camp and off season and properly appreciate how Big Mike operates.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The fact that the nepotism garbage is finally gone.

It's not gone and never will be. Every high-level executive is named Jones and their positions are not based on performance.

Garrett was just one in a long line of symptoms of this organizational structure. Win or lose, nothing changes.

Jerry-Jones-with-his-wife-and-kids.jpg

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
But here is the deal, his blunders last year aren't much different than many other NFL coaches so why must we just focus on mistakes? It was a bad year for a multitude of reasons, and Mike McCarthy was a coach trying to pull a Rabbit out of a hat minus the Rabbit. I think we need to tap the breaks a bit because last year was ridiculous on so many levels.

Im not focusing on mistake. But mistakes were made and they should be acknowledged. I see no harm in talking about mistakes. Personally I give MM an overall pass because of the situation. But if he keeps blundering the in game management, that will be troubling.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
So, you're not willing to take into account that last year was historic in terms of taking away a coaches ability to be prepared? Sure Big Mike made some bad decisions but all coaches do that! I also watched most of the games again and I saw a much more prepared team overall in terms of our rotations and depth. I see things totally different, I thought Big Mike did a very good job considering the circumstances. New coaches take their lumps, but he looks like a man with a plan to me..

I have no choice right? We will know after this year. But what it looks like to me is that he was carried by Aaron Rodgers over the years. Look at his record with and without Aaron. And those bad in-game decisions have nothing to do with missing minicamps. They're just poor logical decisions, not playing the percentages, etc.

But heck I'm rooting for him!

johneric8

Reaction score
Im not focusing on mistake. But mistakes were made and they should be acknowledged. I see no harm in talking about mistakes. Personally I give MM an overall pass because of the situation. But if he keeps blundering the in game management, that will be troubling.
I see no harm in pointing out blunders as well, but that really should be prefaced with some positives as well or it just comes off as counter productive. There is no way the man deserves to be 100% written off like he has already by some of our fans. I will be the first to jump off the bandwagon and declare him a bust after he is given enough time for evaluation. It's a results league and I'm not naive to that at all, but up until this point I see lots of things to really like in terms of his no nonsense approach. People forget just how much the man knows about the QB position and has had a huge hand in helping guys progress. The reason some of his packers teams were good because his plan eventually came together on all sides of the ball, when has that really ever happened with Garret? It honestly never did...

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
I haven't given up on MM, but some of the stuff he said before being hired seems to be untrue now. His use or lack of analytics comes to mind. He sold himself as a film junky that was going to give us a competitive advantage.

In fairness covid and injuries had a massive impact on the year. Im giving him another season before I can make a true judgment.

Covid and injuries had a massice impact on all the teams... The difference is (in my opnion) not every team had a DC that failed to make the D successful.

Reactions: CWR

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I see no harm in pointing out blunders as well, but that really should be prefaced with some positives as well or it just comes off as counter productive. There is no way the man deserves to be 100% written off like he has already by some of our fans. I will be the first to jump off the bandwagon and declare him a bust after he is given enough time for evaluation. It's a results league and I'm not naive to that at all, but up until this point I see lots of things to really like in terms of his no nonsense approach. People forget just how much the man knows about the QB position and has had a huge hand in helping guys progress. The reason some of his packers teams were good because his plan eventually came together on all sides of the ball, when has that really ever happened with Garret? It honestly never did...

I havent written him off so Im not sure why you are lecturing me. Some fans loved Garrett and looked ridiculous doing it. Others are just trolls so who cares?

johneric8

Reaction score
I have no choice right? We will know after this year. But what it looks like to me is that he was carried by Aaron Rodgers over the years. Look at his record with and without Aaron. And those bad in-game decisions have nothing to do with missing minicamps. They're just poor logical decisions, not playing the percentages, etc.

But heck I'm rooting for him!
He was instrumental in developing Arod and is known as a great QB builder. Of course the team will suffer without Arod, the whole gameplan is built around what he can do. You act like mike had too many bad decisions, but I just didn't see it.. If anything, he forced some things, but I'm not sure any other coach in that position wouldn't of done the same things. Again, this all goes back to what I've been saying, some of us are way to quick to focus on negatives because it all hits so close to home. I know we're all rooting for the guy, but I'm surprised some of you refuse to be patient here and let things play out.

johneric8

Reaction score
I havent written him off so Im not sure why you are lecturing me. Some fans loved Garrett and looked ridiculous doing it. Others are just trolls so who cares?
No lecture man, just common sense.. I was excited about Garret as well for a few years and I believed he might grow into the job but after about 5 years I could see he wasn't capable of winning when it counted. I like to think I'm reasonable in terms of my own personal evaluations. Sure we all look to the past and present to form opinions on players and coaches it's just natural. I'll give you an example- From everything I've seen with Zeke after getting paid, I see a player who no longer has the drive to be great and the abuse his body has taken a toll... In my mind, the likelihood of Zeke returning to form is not very good, but there is a chance that he can do it. Sure Zeke has shown he has skills, but when I see players slip after being paid it's hard for me to imagine some great turn around since it typically never happens.

Sure it's not going to be easy on McCarthy, but he isn't trying to run between tackles and score touchdowns, lets see if he has some magic left and can build a cohesive team.

RS12

Reaction score
Tom Landy record before he was fired....7-9.. 7-9 and 3-13 Really people....
Lol!! Wait, what? R u really comparing Landry in any sense to MM? Really? Yes Landry had lost a little off the fastball but those mid to late 80s rosters were bereft of talent.

Big_D

Reaction score
It's not gone and never will be. Every high-level executive is named Jones and their positions are not based on performance.

Garrett was just one in a long line of symptoms of this organizational structure. Win or lose, nothing changes.

Jerry-Jones-with-his-wife-and-kids.jpg

its gone at the HC level at least and the coaching ranks. Am I thrilled with the Jones family? not at all but at least McCarthy isn’t the Garrett situation.

Last edited:

CWR

Reaction score
Covid and injuries had a massice impact on all the teams... The difference is (in my opnion) not every team had a DC that failed to make the D successful.

I agree, but also think he should've recognized that and corrected it. His decisions in general last year were often perplexing.