Who has a better shot to be a legitimate quality lineman, Biadasz or Steele?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I have confidence in Tyler Smith doing his part. Once he gets his feet wet and into the 2nd half of the season he will be fine.

So this Oline restructuring is coming down 3 things................Tyron Smith health, and then the progress of Biadasz and Steele the young question marks on this line.

Chances are only one of them is going to work out if either.

-Which one would you rather see turn into the starter that we are looking for?

- Which one do you think has the better shot of actually doing it?
Biadasz, silly.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Of course, Biadasz will be looked at first, considering he's the incumbent starter, having started all 17 games last year & four more as a rookie in 2020. He was also flagged 10 times last season. This needs to be eliminated.

The hope is that the Cowboys will continue to develop him as they did w/ Steele, who is now a starter at right tackle. If it's not Biadasz, the Cowboys might look to Matt Farniok &/or Connor McGovern. Now that Tyler Smith has been drafted & he will likely take over at left guard.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Just guesswork of course, but IMO I think Steele will outperform Biadasz. Nevertheless, I hope Biadasz turns up the heat this year. If he doesn't, the OL will suffer again.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Neither one of these guys really excite me I need to see them go up against stiff competition this year to get a handle on where they're at.

Not handling the center position in free agency is going to bite us.
If they want to give Biadasz time to develop fine but in the meantime we need legitimate NFL center.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Steele if he is smart. He has a real chance to improve over the offseason. They drafted Badaiz thinking because he was good and from the same dirt as Fredbeard he would be him. How long has it been, and he is still being pushed back. Martin has to help him. That maybe part of his job but when you have a O-Line coach that plays zone blocking it’s harder. Martin can’t really pass his guy off all the time.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am really not sure. So will default to the wait and see in TC answer. Then we still may not know until the regular season starts. Unless someone truly challenges Biadasz in TC.

I am sure Biadasz will get more plays in PS games than Steele.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I have confidence in Tyler Smith doing his part. Once he gets his feet wet and into the 2nd half of the season he will be fine.

So this Oline restructuring is coming down 3 things................Tyron Smith health, and then the progress of Biadasz and Steele the young question marks on this line.

I think Steele as a right tackle is already a solid starter. He probably was the most improved player on the entire team and should continue to get better. Biadasz issues are due to his lack of strength and anchor. Having Tyler Smith next to him should help, but I think his frame is maxed out. This yr will determine if he is a long term answer or not.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i think both will be good but i think steele has a chance to be the better player.
love his size.
mental toughness.
love what he's made of.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Steele. If he makes the same improvement this year that he did last year he will already be a "legitimate quality lineman"

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think Steele as a right tackle is already a solid starter. He probably was the most improved player on the entire team and should continue to get better. Biadasz issues are due to his lack of strength and anchor. Having Tyler Smith next to him should help, but I think his frame is maxed out. This yr will determine if he is a long term answer or not.
Yep. Last September I suggested that Biadasz may have maxed out strength wise and got blasted.

It was said that if he keeps lifting weights he will keep growing and getting stronger. Maybe if he eats his broccoli he can will get taller as well.

Or...if he was squatting 800 last year, and kept at it....he should be well over 1000 by now, and much stronger, yes?

Doesn't at all work that way, but didn't stop the fantasy that Biadasz can hit the gym and turn into Frederick lol.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Both Steele and Biadaz have low ceilings. But having said that I think it’s much harder to find a good T so I will say I hope Steele turns into what we need.

Honestly, IMO the OL is the biggest question mark on this team. It’s hard to see them being a lot better than they were last year. Which wasn’t that great.

My hope is Tyler Smith develops quickly (a big IF) into a stud and that somehow Tyron Smith stays healthy. Which may be the biggest stretch of them all. Tyron Smith has sadly become undependable- he’s missed 32 games since 2015- almost two full seasons of games missed. And somehow this season he’s going to stay healthy?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Frame is maxed out in his 2nd season? Interesting take there.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Both Steele and Biadaz have low ceilings. But having said that I think it’s much harder to find a good T so I will say I hope Steele turns into what we need.

Honestly, IMO the OL is the biggest question mark on this team. It’s hard to see them being a lot better than they were last year. Which wasn’t that great.

My hope is Tyler Smith develops quickly (a big IF) into a stud and that somehow Tyron Smith stays healthy. Which may be the biggest stretch of them all. Tyron Smith has sadly become undependable- he’s missed 32 games since 2015- almost two full seasons of games missed. And somehow this season he’s going to stay healthy?

Yah I see as almost an impossible task. The moment Tyron goes down our Oline goes in the toilet. And we all know he is going down.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yep. Last September I suggested that Biadasz may have maxed out strength wise and got blasted.

It was said that if he keeps lifting weights he will keep growing and getting stronger. Maybe if he eats his broccoli he can will get taller as well.

Or...if he was squatting 800 last year, and kept at it....he should be well over 1000 by now, and much stronger, yes?

Doesn't at all work that way, but didn't stop the fantasy that Biadasz can hit the gym and turn into Frederick lol.

I think he has to do better on gaining leverage. I think he has the strength but he allows DL to get under his pads and drive him back. Stepnoski was one of the best of using leverage to combat bigger and stronger DL men

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think he has to do better on gaining leverage. I think he has the strength but he allows DL to get under his pads and drive him back. Stepnoski was one of the best of using leverage to combat bigger and stronger DL men
Yes he can definitely get better there, and you often see dramatic improvements in players between year one and two, but not so much later on. He is a bit in the middle there.

As far as the OP, we may have seen the peak of Biadasz while Steele may still have some room to improve.

I do agree with wanting a dominant center. Looking back in recent history, when we have had a solid center (Step, Donaldson, Gurode, Fred), the line itself was a strength. We we didn't (Shiver, Costa, etc), the line was a problem.

The jury is still really out on Biadasz but headed into year three for him (basically year two in his case), it's time to step it up a level, or be average.

I very very much could see this one going either way.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yes he can definitely get better there, and you often see dramatic improvements in players between year one and two, but not so much later on. He is a bit in the middle there.

As far as the OP, we may have seen the peak of Biadasz while Steele may still have some room to improve.

I do agree with wanting a dominant center. Looking back in recent history, when we have had a solid center (Step, Donaldson, Gurode, Fred), the line itself was a strength. We we didn't (Shiver, Costa, etc), the line was a problem.

The jury is still really out on Biadasz but headed into year three for him (basically year two in his case), it's time to step it up a level, or be average.

I very very much could see this one going either way.

I think his struggles are overblown. I think all of them were normal for a first year starting center. He got bull rushed early in the year by the best DT's in football a few times. Bucs and Philly guys. Those guys dominate most centers every week.

I dont think Biadasz performance was near good enough for anyone to think we have our guy. THIS is the big year for him. He MUST make that big leap or we need to keep looking for a stud.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think his struggles are overblown. I think all of them were normal for a first year starting center. He got bull rushed early in the year by the best DT's in football a few times. Bucs and Philly guys. Those guys dominate most centers every week.

I dont think Biadasz performance was near good enough for anyone to think we have our guy. THIS is the big year for him. He MUST make that big leap or we need to keep looking for a stud.
I dont disagree with any of that.

He was really good in the first two months of last season in run blocking, and yes he struggled with guys like Cox and Hargrove vs the pass, but who doesn't? He held his own.

Then went into the toilet around the time McGovern replaced Williams. So did the rest of the offense. Coincidence? I have no idea, but he didn't revert back to a better player when they swapped those two again.

Having a great center means a lot, and this guy is really somewhere in between. As I said, I could see him stepping it up a level, but also proving he isnt the right guy.

They are obviously high on Farinok, and signed two highly regarded UDFA centers, so I don't think this is the Garrett days of....'you're the starter and that's that.'

Itll be the position I pay most attention to during camp, that's for sure.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This guy explains it well.

The weak link is Tyler Biadasz. The Center position is obviously more important, especially with a rookie in Tyler Smith starting at Left Guard. Coach McCarthy and Stephen Jones understand this, hence why they consistently praised Matt Farniok this offseason and stated how they expect Farniok to push for that starting Center position.