Who I'd rather have selected than Hitchens

waving monkey

Reaction score
I know of no draft resource that even had Matt Johnson drafted. He carried a worse consensus grade than Hitchens did this year.

Two horrific reaches.

your really a good poster Risen Star but really how would these guys know more then pros

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
your really a good poster Risen Star but really how would these guys know more then pros

Using this logic, nobody makes a bad pick.

The "pros" at Valley Ranch have spent the last two decades making poor draft decisions. What I said was accurate. I know of no draft resource that projected Matt Johnson to be drafted and he carried a lower consensus grade than Hitchens did, who was also given an UDFA grade.

These were two really big reaches in the 4th round.

igtmfo

Reaction score
Yeah, Risen Star, I agree about our bad drafts and bad draft picks. It goes on forever.

But no draft pick got more high fives in the draft room than Hitchens (I don't think.)

Did anyone hear shortly after the draft, that the 49ers (or was it the Seahawks) and bunch of others wanted him, wanted even to trade up for Hitchens? Not sure if this was from Broaddus or national media, but I heard it several times from more than one source.

Just think - Holloman was a Eberflus/Bisaccia pick - and they had to drop to their knees to get Ciskowski etc. and Jerry to please, please draft him. He was picked because he would at least be a good special teamer. Our scouts wanted to draft a receiver or something that was a little higher on our board, instead of Holloman, IIRC.

HItchens, another Eberflus/Bisaccia pick. I hope these guys found another real good prospect. After Holloman in the 6th (?) round as good as he might be, these dudes get the benefit of the doubt.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, Risen Star, I agree about our bad drafts and bad draft picks. It goes on forever.

But no draft pick got more high fives in the draft room than Hitchens (I don't think.)

This gave me flashbacks to the Kavika Pittman selection and the celebration in our war room.

It turned out when idiots celebrate, they're still idiots.

Did anyone hear shortly after the draft, that the 49ers (or was it the Seahawks) and bunch of others wanted him, wanted even to trade up for Hitchens? Not sure if this was from Broaddus or national media, but I heard it several times from more than one source.

Consider yourself sucked.

Of course he was just. about. to. go. The entire NFC West wanted him.

We lucked out. We haven't been this fortunate since picking Matt Johnson.

Just think - Holloman was a Eberflus/Bisaccia pick - and they had to drop to their knees to get Ciskowski etc. and Jerry to please, please draft him. He was picked because he would at least be a good special teamer. Our scouts wanted to draft a receiver or something that was a little higher on our board, instead of Holloman, IIRC.

HItchens, another Eberflus/Bisaccia pick. I hope these guys found another real good prospect. After Holloman in the 6th (?) round as good as he might be, these dudes get the benefit of the doubt.

You can't question a guy who unearthed DeVonte Holloman.

He was an Eberflus/Bisaccia pick? A LB and special teams coach making draft picks? That's news to me.

I would hope our war room hasn't deteriorated to that level.

waving monkey

Reaction score

The "pros" at Valley Ranch have spent the last two decades making poor draft decisions. What I said was accurate. I know of no draft resource that projected Matt Johnson to be drafted and he carried a lower consensus grade than Hitchens did, who was also given an UDFA grade.

link/ http://www.psmag.com/navigation/health-and-behavior/yes-nfl-teams-terrible-drafting-players-81020/

name me your best drafting team
Seattle San Fran, Baltimore ?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

waving monkey

Reaction score
Why are you trying to distract from the issue? Even if all teams draft as poorly as the Cowboys, and they do not, it doesn't change the fact the Cowboys burned two 4th round picks on UDFA talent in Johnson and Hitchens.

well the point is RS other teams do also [miss on picks] .your phrase" the fact the Cowboys burned two 4th round picks"
the Hitchens pick hasn't even reached Training camp and your labeling it "burned up" a little early in my view.
I'll let Hitchens prove himself or not, first.

In anticipation of your all the "experts" called Hitchens a UDFA doesn't mean squat
If they were that talented they'd have a job in the real business. Your smarter then that Risen Star.
I'll bet you a dime to a doughnut that the files each team has on each player is vastly different in quantity and quality.
How many NFL media experts visit all the camps and visit the games and do back ground checks ect. ect.
It would be my guess that they files and dossiers would be a joke in the pros.

theSHOW

Reaction score

Who is it that you would have picked in the4th round. Make you're selection now and live with it. We will compare the selections and find out if you should be the general manager. Step up.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
well the point is RS other teams do also [miss on picks] .your phrase" the fact the Cowboys burned two 4th round picks"
the Hitchens pick hasn't even reached Training camp and your labeling it "burned up" a little early in my view.
I'll let Hitchens prove himself or not, first.

In anticipation of your all the "experts" called Hitchens a UDFA doesn't mean squat
If they were that talented they'd have a job in the real business. Your smarter then that Risen Star.
I'll bet you a dime to a doughnut that the files each team has on each player is vastly different in quantity and quality.
How many NFL media experts visit all the camps and visit the games and do back ground checks ect. ect.
It would be my guess that they files and dossiers would be a joke in the pros.

What Hitchens does from here doesn't factor into whether he was a reach or not.

And while you scoff at the "experts" the fact is the Dallas Cowboys would have been much better off with any one of them running this team than what they have now.

Spare me the they're not qualified stuff when the guys running this team have absolutely no prior background in personnel before they took those jobs and have only overseen failure since.

Aliencowboy

Reaction score
Who is it that you would have picked in the4th round. Make you're selection now and live with it. We will compare the selections and find out if you should be the general manager. Step up.

Simple fact is Dallas is not sticking to their board and jumping for need rather than take the player with the
most talent or potential to be a player.

I think it's between:
D'Thomas, WR/RB/KR,PR- would assure a top 5 offense with the line and receivers they already have. Gives that spark in speed and quickness they don't have.

Savage QB- could be a quality starting QB. Ball jumps off his hand like Aikman. Future pick but Romo is 34 and this is the 4th. A healthy Romo leads to a trade and pick that would be higher.

Pierre Louis LB -Team needs defense. He's an OLB and Nickel backer at the NFL ranks. He played all over. Probably passed on him because he wasn't a MLB but has a ton more talent than Hitchens.

These three will have better careers(start/play longer) than Hitchens.

My pick would be: D'Thomas- I think at his positions he is more valuable and will have a longer career. KR/PR and a slot receiver with his speed and quickness will break the back of opposing defenses and help the defense.

Dallas claims to fill in FA and then stick to their board for the draft and it's a sound theory. However, it's not what they do though.

waving monkey

Reaction score
What Hitchens does from here doesn't factor into whether he was a reach or not.

And while you scoff at the "experts" the fact is the Dallas Cowboys would have been much better off with any one of them running this team than what they have now.

Spare me the they're not qualified stuff when the guys running this team have absolutely no prior background in personnel before they took those jobs and have only overseen failure since.

Of course what Hitchens does now reflects on wither the Cowboys correctly evaluated his slot. If he plays as good as the Cowboys evaluated him they evaluated him correctly.
It doesn't make a hill of beans what the "experts" think and evaluate.The reality is does Hitchens fit their scheme and and preform their scheme as intended as a fourth round talent should.
Nobody knows who had Hitchens in their sights in the fourth round. This fabrication; they could have got him in the 6th round or 7th round is pure media hype. They don't know.

In regards to the OF having no background before they took the job? I believe had 4 or 5 years with Jimmy Johnson and if I remember correctly you were kinda happy with Jimmy Johnson.
Or I am I wrong? That was pretty good OJT.

I am not defending Jones record I am refuting any draft gurus against any pros in the business. They cant compete they dont have the resources,

theSHOW

Reaction score
Simple fact is Dallas is not sticking to their board and jumping for need rather than take the player with the

I think it's between:
D'Thomas, WR/RB/KR,PR- would assure a top 5 offense with the line and receivers they already have. Gives that spark in speed and quickness they don't have.

Savage QB- could be a quality starting QB. Ball jumps off his hand like Aikman. Future pick but Romo is 34 and this is the 4th. A healthy Romo leads to a trade and pick that would be higher.

Pierre Louis LB -Team needs defense. He's an OLB and Nickel backer at the NFL ranks. He played all over. Probably passed on him because he wasn't a MLB but has a ton more talent than Hitchens.

My pick would be: D'Thomas- I think at his positions he is more valuable and will have a longer career. KR/PR and a slot receiver with his speed and quickness will break the back of opposing defenses and help the defense.

Dallas claims to fill in FA and then stick to their board for the draft and it's a sound theory. However, it's not what they do though.

Although I disagree about the heavy need pick assessment you make on the Cowboys I commend you for putting your money where you're mouth is.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

I think it's between:

Draft Nasty (Corey Chavous)
Four-year starter who’s seen time at SLB, SS and WLB. Has been used extensively in coverage vs. wideouts in zone coverage. Will his tightly-wound build hold up? He’s had a number of lower body extremity issues while in school. Combine warrior: 28 reps-225 lbs, 4.51 (40-yd), 39" VJ, 10'8" BJ, 4.02 (20-yd SS), 6.92 (3-cone)

http://www.draftnasty.com/football/articles/nfc-west-2014-nfl-draft-recap/

Aliencowboy

Reaction score
Draft Nasty (Corey Chavous)
Four-year starter who’s seen time at SLB, SS and WLB. Has been used extensively in coverage vs. wideouts in zone coverage. Will his tightly-wound build hold up? He’s had a number of lower body extremity issues while in school. Combine warrior: 28 reps-225 lbs, 4.51 (40-yd), 39" VJ, 10'8" BJ, 4.02 (20-yd SS), 6.92 (3-cone)

http://www.draftnasty.com/football/articles/nfc-west-2014-nfl-draft-recap/

Hence, the 4th round. Watch him play. The talent/ceiling is high.
At any event, I went with D'anthony Thomas.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
They want him to bulk up to that this season? Man that is quick.

I've always kind of felt like you can put on a few pounds each year, but more than about 7 or so is too much and you lose to much speed, movement, athleticism, so to speak.

12 lbs is a lot of weight to put on in a couple of months? Smith was listed at 218 at the combines and is already in the 220's since joining JAX.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Some posters pretend like they weren't against acquiring players specifically Makenzy Bernadeau and Ronald Leary types that end up working out well, in short supply are people that will call out well liked posters who dissed on Frederick and even Tyron Smith as well. Mr. Likes schrade game is getting old hat like the rest of this Franchise....including all you haters that can't pay attention.

Aliencowboy

Reaction score
Some posters pretend like they weren't against acquiring players specifically Makenzy Bernadeau and Ronald Leary types that end up working out well, in short supply are people that will call out well liked posters who dissed on Frederick and even Tyron Smith as well. Mr. Likes schrade game is getting old hat like the rest of this Franchise....including all you haters that can't pay attention.

Really, they soldered the OL roster by over paying for Nate Livings and Bernadeau. The results of poor management and drafting left them in a position where they had to. Who complained about Ronald Leary? UFA?

Here is a January 31, 2013 post. Note the 2nd round assessment on FredBeard

1. 1: Lane Johnson (easy pick here-I don't think he'll be still projected this late here after the combine at 18#, but this would be the biggest gain for the team by eliminating Free and keeping Parnell as a backup swing. This guy plays LT/RT and will be a pro bowler)

2. 2: Travis Frederick C/G (generally has a 2nd round ranking. I want a strong smart center that will hold the middle, blow open holes and help out the guards. This guy meets those)

3: Marquis Goodwin WR (missing this type of speedster on Offense to balance the strong tall WR like Dez. Cut Miles. Replace him? I think Harris could be the 2nd and Goodwin and Cole could play the slot.

4: LeVeon Bell RB athletic - passing catching and big to share reps

Free Agency: Resign Spencer, Sign *Glenn Dorsey (very reasonable deal for the cowboys-give this guy shot to play where he is suited under tackle) and Sign a guard like Levitre.

DL: Ware, Hatcher, Rat/Dorsey, Spencer
    OL: Tyrone, Livings, Frederick, Levitre, Johnson

Rollin the dice at safety. Can't get everything
    Aliencowboy, Jan 31, 2013Report
    #1Reply