Who is coaching us next year if Garrett is out

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
My guess is it will be someone with proven NFL offensive knowledge to take advantage of the talent on the offensive side of the ball. This coach will then make Richard DC if he wants it and hasn't left for either a DC or head coaching job on another team.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
Does it really matter at this point? What real coach will want to deal with that crazy old man meddling and acting like a football guy? Jerry is a joke who got lucky hiring Jimmy. If Jimmy knew what it was going to be like dealing with Jerry then he probably doesn’t take the job. Jerry was an unknown then.
That seems fair :)

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Urban Meyer is the one Jerry needs to get. And he's already said he wants the job. It will depend on if Jerry will let him hire his own staff. My money says that won't happen. Jerry wants to have some input so he can get credit for success.

Jones does a lot of things, some people like some things and others people don't like some things but this time around he will look at the success rate of first time college coaches as head coaches in the NFL which isn't very high. He's going to find a coach with NFL experience and who he feels can get the talent on this team over the hump. He knows that there is a finite window with this team and he's not going to was time on a college coach who has to learn how to be an NFL head coach. This is why none of these college coaches some on here are suggesting won't be the next head coach in Dallas.

TwelfthStar

Reaction score
Lincoln Riley is my first choice.
One dark-horse candidate thrown out is Dan Campbell, Saints TE Coach/Assistant Head OC and HC. Not my first choice but not opposed either.
Has HC experience (Dolphins interim), former Cowboy player, native Texan, has had a lot of success in NO. In addition to reloading Brees's arsenal of weapons (Thomas, Kamara), I'd give the assistant coaching staff a lot of credit. Been there since 2016, the last year of their 4/5 seasons of the 7-9 cycle (did include one 11-5 WC playoff berth). Added bonus of (likely) hurting the Saints, HATE that franchise and their fans. Cowboys really shouldn't have much of a reason to hate them, but I guess it's a regional/bragging rights thing.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Meyer intrigues me but he’s never coached in the NFL. Plus I’m afraid his health issues would resurface.

Lincoln Riley hasn’t even been a college head coach long and has never coached in the NFL but the dude can coach some offense and of paired with the right DC could be a homerun hire.

One name to keep an eye on is Jim Harbaugh. There’s been reports he may want out of Michigan at years end and wants to return to the NFL. Yea he’s a strange dude but he’s won as a head coach on the NFL and coached his team to the SB.

If I had my choice of the guys above I’d go Harbaugh. But all three would be solid hires. But will Jerry go all in on this hire or hire a lesser name such as a Roman, Campbell or Defellipo? Or try to capture some Pats magic and go after McDaniels? Will be interesting to see but one thing for sure Red is all but gone. And for that we can all rejoice as the end is near!

Please don't forget Jimmy Johnson had never coached in the NFL either. The results of taking a chance on him paid off BIG TIME!

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I’ll say right now it’s 80/20 % in favor of yes. If we don’t win the division it’s 100% yes. Win a home playoff game and lose in divisional it’s 90% yes.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Don't care. Won't matter until the latter is removed that is above the coach.

dcstar

Reaction score
In my opinion...Depends on Thanksgiving vs the Bills...a loss or another game the Cowboys "squeak by" will be his undoing. A complete blow out by the Cowboys may be his only saving grace to hang on another week.

Not real sure Mr Jones wouldn't have fired Mr Garrett after Patriots game except for the very short turn around due to the Thanksgiving game. I think he is gone Friday the 29th unless the they blow it out against the Bills.

If not..then at seasons ends. The miracle will be NFC Championship game appearance...then maybe he stays. Highly unlikely.

As to who? Mr Jones always seems to have an eye on "his guy" regardless of who else may be available. Really a crap shoot trying to figure out what he'll do. I can't even fathom what he'll do. If he asks me I'd tell him...doubt that will happen so fans gotta roll with his "gut" unfortunately.

Go Cowboys!

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
He isn’t getting fired during the season. His contract is done at the end of the season. Only way he’s fired is if we lose the next 4 including the Eagles game.