Who is our 3rd QB? Teams may now carry three QB's

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Bring in Mr. Magoo from the USFL for a camp look at third QB. He's the top rated passer and is the best running QB too.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I don’t know that it changes much since the game day roster isn’t as big a deal as the total roster in why teams don’t carry a 3td QB
If you QB is dinged up I see the logic but unless your 3rd QB is one of your 53 best players I dont
Agreed. Where it could be interesting is if more teams do try to carry 3 QBs on the 53 man roster. I'm skeptical that happens as a SF in the playoffs situation is so extremely rare. I'd think most teams would be fine keeping that 53rd spot on the roster for that developmental player they don't want to risk trying to sneak onto the PS.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I don’t know that it changes much since the game day roster isn’t as big a deal as the total roster in why teams don’t carry a 3td QB
If you QB is dinged up I see the logic but unless your 3rd QB is one of your 53 best players I dont
Is this not in addintion to that, break glass in case of emergency only but doesnt take another's spot?

Motorola

Reaction score
The new rule allows for QB3 to be immediately be activated if QB1 and QB2 can't play during the course of a game.
Basically --- QB3, if needed, becomes a 47th "active" player, even though he was on the inactive list at the start of the game.

QB3 will have to be on your 53 roster leading up to the game.

Last edited:

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
The new rule allows for QB3 to be immediately be activated if QB1 and QB2 can't play during the course of a game.
Basically --- QB3, if needed, becomes a 47th "active" player, even though he was on the inactive list at the start of the game.
thats how i read it also

Motorola

Reaction score
Is this not in addintion to that, break glass in case of emergency only but doesnt take another's spot?
It won't take another's spot.
The QB3 if needed, becomes the "47th active" player for that team, in that game.
If an emergency QB situation does not arise, the game continues as normal with only 46 active players eligible to play (for both teams).

conner01

Reaction score
But can he be on practice squad? Otherwise he would take up a spot on 53

conner01

Reaction score
Agreed. Where it could be interesting is if more teams do try to carry 3 QBs on the 53 man roster. I'm skeptical that happens as a SF in the playoffs situation is so extremely rare. I'd think most teams would be fine keeping that 53rd spot on the roster for that developmental player they don't want to risk trying to sneak onto the PS.
It only helps if he’s on PS
Then it is a really good idea
He dresses and can only come in if first two go down but doesn’t count against 53 man roster

Motorola

Reaction score
But can he be on practice squad? Otherwise he would take up a spot on 53
QB3 would have to be on the 53 leading up to gametime; whether it's done earlier in the week or the day of the game...I don't know.

conner01

Reaction score
They should have done this ages ago from a product stand point, kinda shocked it took a championship game to get here.
Really
I mean it’s rare you need 3 but it was huge in the playoffs so they finally reacted
The key is whether he can be a PS player or a 53 man roster player

conner01

Reaction score
QB3 would have to be on the 53 leading up to gametime; whether it's done earlier in the week or the day of the game...I don't know.
That makes it less likely since you’d have to move someone down to PS in order to bring him off PS
not a lot of teams keep 3 on active roster

Toro9

Reaction score
Hopefully Grier. He played decent last PS. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he was taking 2nd team snaps in TC last year for a while. For whatever that's worth.

*I mean, hopefully, a small school UDRFA comes in and just goes HAM and steals a spot, but, ya know...

Motorola

Reaction score
That makes it less likely since you’d have to move someone down to PS in order to bring him off PS
not a lot of teams keep 3 on active roster
Probably a few teams put QB3 on the 53 and leave him there throughout the season. Other teams will have QB on the PS during non-game days...but he must be moved up to the 53 to be allowed to become the emegency QB during a game --thus another player moves down as you stated.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
This is a dumb distinction.

BUT WHAT IF THE THIRD GUY GETS HURT TOO

Roster sizes should be much larger, but this is a dumb way to do it.