Who is the best option at QB?

Kwyn

Reaction score
However, one name I didn't see mentioned here was Nick Foles. If Gardner Minshew becomes the starter in Jacksonville, Foles might be available. And on the other hand, if they stick with Foles, Minshew could be available. IMO those two would be more to get excited about than anyone on that list, considering the age of Brady and Brees.

There is zero chance Minshew will play anywhere other than Jacksonville next year. Even if they go with Foles they have no reason to let Minshew go. He’s going to make 2m spread over the next 3 years ...

Even if he never starts another game for them, they would never be able to find another better, or cheaper, backup

as to a Foles, does he really do anything for you? He’s got three years and 60m on his deal. Even if you considered him equal to Dak in play, he’s still getting paid. I was never really a fan of Foles as a player and believe he just got hit and lucky at the right time.

Last edited:

Kwyn

Reaction score
I'd rather not think of the way the sausage is made. It's disgusting. I just want to eat it without thinking about what went into it. Likewise, Dak is our franchise QB and will get paid handsomely to do so. I just want to watch him play without thinking about what went into that as well. I'm hoping the end product is football yummy. ;)

Really good analogy and a position I support. Finn too :)

To carry it further though, the problem occurs when someone proclaims “sausage is 100% unicorn dust and magic!” because they never wanted to really know how it was made.

I’m certain this doesn’t apply to you, but there’s
a decent sized group of fans who believed everything you said but then want to conveniently use/ignore metrics whenever it’s convenient or, even worse, willfully misrepresent the information. It’s can be a very frustrating conversation

Kwyn

Reaction score
I would send a 1st to Jacksonville for Minshew. Won’t happen but kid looks for real
He does look good and for a three year flyer, I’m sure there are many teams who would feel the same.

How did most of us feel after Dak’s rookie season? His made Minshew’s look like a pale imitation.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Dak Prescott

Drew Bress

Tom Brady

Jamois Winston

Philip Rivers

Marcus Mariota

Ryan Tannahill

Teddy Bridewater

Case Keenam

Cooper Rush

Or add a name you think is possible.

Interested who is in your thoughts at this point.
You could’ve stopped after the second name.

Brees by a mile.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
We'll chat again in 5 years when we still haven't won squat - hey but the stats will be great - all but the one that counts: WINS.

/incoming! :muttley:
What are his win stats compared to other QBs since he came into the league?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
You could’ve stopped after the second name.

Brees by a mile.
I would take Brees in a moment.

Draft another QB and get ready to use him later.

Everybody thinks that signing Dak is the long term answer.

No he is not. This is his 5th year coming up. Look at Mahomes and Jackson.

These guys have had only their first 2 years in the NFL. They are both lightyears ahead of Dak after 4 years.

My point is, half of his probable career is gone already gone.

He produced little really. Mostly this season in losing causes.

We/he can not get those back.

Now is the time to wet your finger, stick it in the breeze and look at it closely.

NotForLong

Reaction score
I love your post because it perfectly captures the essence of a certain type of fan

There are basketball fans who don’t appreciate three passes to find the open man in the corner and are all about posterizing dunks

There are baseball fans who get bored with small ball, defense and righty-lefty substitutions and only care about monster home runs

There are boxing fans whose eyes glaze over when someone talks about the “sweet science” and would boo any fight that didn’t end in a crushing knockout

And there are football fans who have zero interest in analytics or stats and only pay attention when there’s a 60 yard bomb and whose most enlightened grasp of the game is captured by the comment “I go by what I see”.

To quote William Goldberg
“I know it when I see it, and someone else will know it when they see it, but what they see and what they know may or may not be what I see and what I know, and that’s okay.”

That’s the most generous indulgence of your various frustrating and incoherent ramblings which are so deeply rooted in emotion and base instinct that a logical person would likely risk madness were they to follow you down that rabbit hole.

But really, that’s fine. It’s all fine. Plenty of room for all types. It’s just tough for both sides when they try to find common ground.

Tough for the fans who believe “stats are boring and for nerds” and tough for the fans who believe in the adage “You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts”
:huh:
I have no clue what you are trying to convey.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Its all about price. The difference between $20m and $35m per year is a whole lot of talent in other spots. That $35m guy better be a LOT better than the $20m guy.

We had Dak at a million a year for 4 years. Where was all the talent at other spots and where did that get us?

And one could argue that if you don't have a good QB, then what good is all the other positions you can afford? You aren't going anywhere anyway.

If you have a good QB, you pay him. Simple as that. Teams are happy to pay a good QB because it means they have one. Getting hung up on which guys gets paid a little more and this and that is a waste of time really.

Your success is more to do with how you draft, who your coach is, injuries, and how your GM manages the team around your QB then saving some 5-10 million dollars. What are you going to get with 5-10 million dollars?

If you are going to squabble about money then you should be pissed we just paid a RB 15 million dollars a year. Talk about a waste of money?

doomsday9084

Reaction score
We had Dak at a million a year for 4 years. Where was all the talent at other spots and where did that get us?

And one could argue that if you don't have a good QB, then what good is all the other positions you can afford? You aren't going anywhere anyway.

If you have a good QB, you pay him. Simple as that. Teams are happy to pay a good QB because it means they have one. Getting hung up on which guys gets paid a little more and this and that is a waste of time really.

Your success is more to do with how you draft, who your coach is, injuries, and how your GM manages the team around your QB then saving some 5-10 million dollars. What are you going to get with 5-10 million dollars?

If you are going to squabble about money then you should be pissed we just paid a RB 15 million dollars a year. Talk about a waste of money?

I have commented on this multiple times. In most of my replies, I have tried to qualify the post by saying Zeke, Tank and Jaylon were horrible contracts and deserve criticism.

Regardless, Dak has had a passer rating around 10th for a few years. He certainly isn't a top Mahomes like QB. Even then, you are wrong about the "If you have a good QB, you pay him." line. Only two QB's in the past 15 years or so have won a title on a full "fair market" contract. There have been other posts showing that no QB has won a SB with the cap percentage Dak is asking for. Its practically a death sentence for a team.

As much as Romo supporters will point to the awful defense when he was in his prime, how much of that was caused by his contract? Mahomes is definitely Mahomes like and will KC be able to maintain itself once he gets his deal?

At the end of the day, QB's are overvalued by the market. Giving a guy like Dak a massive deal makes winning it all real hard *particularly* when you already have Zeke, Jaylon and Tank on oversized contracts. Mike McCarthy or no, its going to be really hard to put together a top team with these deals in place.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I have commented on this multiple times. In most of my replies, I have tried to qualify the post by saying Zeke, Tank and Jaylon were horrible contracts and deserve criticism.

Regardless, Dak has had a passer rating around 10th for a few years. He certainly isn't a top Mahomes like QB. Even then, you are wrong about the "If you have a good QB, you pay him." line. Only two QB's in the past 15 years or so have won a title on a full "fair market" contract. There have been other posts showing that no QB has won a SB with the cap percentage Dak is asking for. Its practically a death sentence for a team.

As much as Romo supporters will point to the awful defense when he was in his prime, how much of that was caused by his contract? Mahomes is definitely Mahomes like and will KC be able to maintain itself once he gets his deal?

At the end of the day, QB's are overvalued by the market. Giving a guy like Dak a massive deal makes winning it all real hard *particularly* when you already have Zeke, Jaylon and Tank on oversized contracts. Mike McCarthy or no, its going to be really hard to put together a top team with these deals in place.

I really cant comment on your other teams who paid QB's big money. Did they have a great defense, great coaching, players around the QB, ect...ect…?

Like I said, we had Dak for 4 years cheap and didn't do much.

Is Dallas better without Dak? Is Seattle better without Wilson, GB without Rogers? Its seems rather a ridiculous statement to act like they would be.

Then there is the one big issue that NONE of you anti paying guys can solve. Who is the QB if not Dak? The alternative is to go back into the dark ages for possibly 10 more years. And why? Because guys like you want Mahones or nothing?

Dak is 10? That sounds about right to me. Very very nice place for a 4th year QB. Disproved a lot of things said about him that he couldn't do this year. And considering the Cowboys are in such a great place with the cap, this all seems rather ridiculous to talk about.

Honestly, it just seems like another tired angle the anti Dak guys make up in order to cry about not having an elite QB. Elite QB's are grown. They just don't appear out of nowhere. AS guys like Brees, Brady, Ryan, Rivers move on in a few years Dak will be closer to the top 5.

What this team needs to focus on is getting a top 5 D. Then we will be a true contender. The endless search for the next Mahomes is a pipe dream that no sensible GM can bet on.

Dak is good enough offense is good enough. Defense, special teams, HC is where this team needs major improvement.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
i

And your angle has one major flaw. Most QB are only the highest paid for 1-3 years, then their salary falls back down in line. Which Dak's salary will do as well. 2 years from now he probably wont even be in the top 5. So really, your complaint is good for maybe 2 years. And like I said, the Cowboys have fully prepared the cap for this day. So your point is even less so.

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
You are strengthening my point. All those amazing stats and yet Cowboys only beat 2 teams with a winning record.

E-M-P-T-Y

Because he is so confused as to who to throw the Ball too He ends up taking a sack or dumping the ball off.

You're a funny guy, after explaining how miniscule his interception numbers are, you then pivot with a TD to Interception Ratio
o_O

I dont even know what that stat implies, but if a stat has the word "adjusted" in it then it must be manipulated.

With all that being said. I havent put any wieght into a stat since High School. When I would read the USA Today to see where Emmitt Irvin & Aikman ranked. But thats when Football was real. Stats in todays age are worthless.

I could careless what any stat anyone uses to justify thier Love or Hate of Dak. I go by my what I see.

I watch the performance and more often then not it's Dak holding on to the ball too long or making an inacurate pass at the wrong time that destroys drives.
Truth.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

I agree.

Dak and Cooper and any extension for Jones as a needed CB is going to leave any success at the coaching and drafting braintrust's feet.

Not impossible to win that way but every year it seems some team or teams leapfrog the other teams.

Like KC and the Ravens. It takes a big year from a key player or two on their first contracts to emerge..

along with those teams having a superior coach HC like Harbaugh or Reid running things.

Lack one or the other..no go.

We had in 2016 both Dak and Zeke arrive and re-launch our fortunes but we struggled with Garrett.

We have now spun our wheels since 2016. Garrett is out, the rookie contracts and FA contracts are coming due.

It is obviously the ownership's desire is to reformat the coaches into established, tried and true methods of winning and to stand back.

We are at a crossroads we all saw coming. Your concern about these contracts weighing us down is shared by all of us.

But if things are to be positive, drafting well, finding 3-4 more players to fix our neglected areas like Zeke and Dak and Amari have done is key.

If any lasting Cowboy history is to be written it has to start now.

I really think McCarthy has been a real find for us at a critical time.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I really cant comment on your other teams who paid QB's big money. Did they have a great defense, great coaching, players around the QB, ect...ect…?

Like I said, we had Dak for 4 years cheap and didn't do much.

Is Dallas better without Dak? Is Seattle better without Wilson, GB without Rogers? Its seems rather a ridiculous statement to act like they would be.

Then there is the one big issue that NONE of you anti paying guys can solve. Who is the QB if not Dak? The alternative is to go back into the dark ages for possibly 10 more years. And why? Because guys like you want Mahones or nothing?

Dak is 10? That sounds about right to me. Very very nice place for a 4th year QB. Disproved a lot of things said about him that he couldn't do this year. And considering the Cowboys are in such a great place with the cap, this all seems rather ridiculous to talk about.

Honestly, it just seems like another tired angle the anti Dak guys make up in order to cry about not having an elite QB. Elite QB's are grown. They just don't appear out of nowhere. AS guys like Brees, Brady, Ryan, Rivers move on in a few years Dak will be closer to the top 5.

What this team needs to focus on is getting a top 5 D. Then we will be a true contender. The endless search for the next Mahomes is a pipe dream that no sensible GM can bet on.

Dak is good enough offense is good enough. Defense, special teams, HC is where this team needs major improvement.

Good reply. I totally agree with you about defense. That has really been Dallas' achilles heel for a very long time. Even when they rank well it seems that they fall apart in a critical game.

To that end, look at Tannehill. He wasn't well regarded going into Tennessee. Personally, I think that QB play is a lot the product of coaching, receivers and offensive line. There are a lot of guys that can throw the football if you give them time to do it and an open receiver. I'm completely OK with going out and getting a vet journeyman QB. Well, truthfully, I think that Cooper Rush sucks. Even if the Cowboys sign Dak, they should get a better back up. I would tag Dak and get a vet back up and then let MM sort it out.

Last note: Dallas has went from Staubach to White to Aikman to Romo to Dak. There were few years when the QB was absolute crap and some of those were caused by Aikman's cap hit. I really don't see it as impossible as people make it out to be. If you sort down the list of QB's currently in the NFL, most teams have competent quarterbacks.