Who Is To Blame For The Star Wars Fiasco?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
This is both true, and shocking. And a large part of the problem arises from Abrams' style of storytelling and his "mystery boxes" that he sets up and sometimes has a plan form and sometime doesn't. It's what made Lost both great and terrible, because sometimes, he created boxes that he himself had nothing of substance to fill them with and they ultimately fell flat.

What shocks me if how the head of Lucasfilm (Kennedy) would allow things like this to occur! Any executive worth the job knows exactly what you said, that these things need careful and meticulous planning and not making things up as you go along.

Between the Last Jedi issues and backlash, and the problems and and the firing of those directors and overall disappointment of Solo, as well as the issues with Trevorrow and his leaving episode IX, I would have expected Kennedy to have been fired by now. I can't help but wonder if her employment was a Lucas condition for the sale to Disney? One can only hope she does the right thing and steps down after the Rise of Skywalker is released and the franchise can get a needed reshaping.
George's final revenge against fans who hated his prequels. lol

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Someone claimed that a Disney exec leaked info to them that they wanted to fire Kennedy but nobody they asked would take the job, so they were stuck with her for now. I know if I was asked, I'd say "not until she messes up IX and I get a fresh start without having to fix story someone else messed up."

Yeah she’s produced (associate/executive) mega movies since early 80’s.

She’s not getting fired.
And if she did she wouldn’t be out of work for long.

I love this tearing down of mega successful individuals in today’s society.

nobody

Reaction score
Yeah she’s produced (associate/executive) mega movies since early 80’s.

She’s not getting fired.
And if she did she wouldn’t be out of work for long.

I love this tearing down of mega successful individuals in today’s society.

I'm just relaying information, not claiming that it's true (or false.)

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-lucasfilm-fire-kathleen-kennedy-no-replacement/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...med-successful-star-wars-movies/#6556200c70de

I think nearly anyone could have made the money with Episodes VII and VIII that Kennedy did simply because it was Star Wars. She produced trash in these instances. Sure, she's produced decent movies in the past. These were far from that though.

All you have to do is simply look into the team of writers she hired and their experience at the time to see that she was agenda-driven and not story-driven.

It has nothing to do with tearing down someone who is mega successful and I resent your implications. Does modern society do it? Sure.

I love this tearing down of critics of something by attacking their character in today's society.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...med-successful-star-wars-movies/#6556200c70de

I think nearly anyone could have made the money with Episodes VII and VIII that Kennedy did simply because it was Star Wars. She produced trash in these instances. Sure, she's produced decent movies in the past. These were far from that though.

All you have to do is simply look into the team of writers she hired and their experience at the time to see that she was agenda-driven and not story-driven.

It has nothing to do with tearing down someone who is mega successful and I resent your implications. Does modern society do it? Sure.

I love this tearing down of critics of something by attacking their character in today's society.
Fair enough

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

It’s a little silly to want to fire her over Solo though. One movie.
So can her for Solo and zero credit for ep 7 and 8? So easy a caveman can do it? Cavewoman? Lol

nobody

Reaction score
So can her for Solo and zero credit for ep 7 and 8? So easy a caveman can do it? Cavewoman? Lol

I'm saying that she should be canned for all of them. 7 and 8 sucked, regardless of whether or not they made money. Solo was a better film than both and didn't make as much money. It was Star Wars....anyone could have made money helming it. It had a huge built-in audience. That makes it hard to screw up as a money-maker. However, the quality of 8 directly led to the performance of Solo....so it was a backlash of 8 and not the quality of Solo that was most of the problem.

She didn't do everything wrong. Rogue One was a thoroughly entertaining film. Solo looked to be a train wreck, but she hired Ron Howard to fix it and it turned out entertaining. So she's not completely incompetent. I just think she's the wrong person to head Star Wars. It's obvious that her agenda is more important than being true to the story and rules of Lucas's creation.

She made a mistake that a lot of execs make. She either hired nothing but yes-people or didn't listen to advice of people who knew what the fanbase wanted. Then when the fanbase lashed out, she doubled-down on stupid and attacked the fanbase rather than acknowledge mistakes and learn from them....which led to Solo's perfomance in theaters.

Had she truly cared, she'd have included in the writing team 1) experienced sci-fi writers. 2) a diverse team, free of agenda and based on competence and not loyalty.

There's a reason Disney stepped in and brought Lucas in for consulting for 9. There's a reason they stepped in and brought Abrams back. I guarantee those weren't her ideas. Unless they do something drastic, 9 might do little better than Solo, and only then because people want to see the conclusion to the Skywalker story, not because they have hope it will be decent.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Was episode 8 a high-point for the franchise? It's not simply "one movie", it's several questionable decisions over a short tenure on the job. Even the "successes" have come with questionable decisions (Episode VII), firings (Solo and Episode IX), and extensive re-shoots (Rogue One). It's far from "one movie".

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's Mark Hamill talking about the current, failing, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants plans:

Lucas' plan for the Sequel Trilogy wasn't entirely fleshed out, Hamill explained to IGN. The actor said that Lucas had an overall outline for the movies, which differs from the way Disney has been operating, passing on the baton from director to director.

Said Hamill:

George had an overall arc – if he didn't have all the details, he had sort of an overall feel for where the [Sequel Trilogy was] going – but this one's more like a relay race. You run and hand the torch off to the next guy, he picks it up and goes.

Ryan didn't write what happens in 9 – he was going to hand it off to, originally, Colin Trevorrow and now J.J. [...] It's an ever-evolving, living, breathing thing. Whoever's onboard gets to play with the life-size action figures that we all are.

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/star-wars/272061/star-wars-episode-9-george-lucas-version

These are the words of a guy on the "inside" of this thing, somebody collecting a paycheck. If anything, he's being kind to the people paying his salary.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Here's Mark Hamill talking about the current, failing, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants plans:

Lucas' plan for the Sequel Trilogy wasn't entirely fleshed out, Hamill explained to IGN. The actor said that Lucas had an overall outline for the movies, which differs from the way Disney has been operating, passing on the baton from director to director.

Said Hamill:

George had an overall arc – if he didn't have all the details, he had sort of an overall feel for where the [Sequel Trilogy was] going – but this one's more like a relay race. You run and hand the torch off to the next guy, he picks it up and goes.

Ryan didn't write what happens in 9 – he was going to hand it off to, originally, Colin Trevorrow and now J.J. [...] It's an ever-evolving, living, breathing thing. Whoever's onboard gets to play with the life-size action figures that we all are.

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/star-wars/272061/star-wars-episode-9-george-lucas-version

These are the words of a guy on the "inside" of this thing, somebody collecting a paycheck. If anything, he's being kind to the people paying his salary.

Wasnt George heavily involved in ep 1 2 and 3.... then ep 4... not so much in ep 5 (best of all movies) then again ep 6?

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I only like JJ for Fringe.

I hated his Khan remake. Garbage.

TFA - no creativity from him.

I was a JJ fan... that quickly faded.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
He was involved in all of those. Why?

First of all the prequels didn’t need to happen.
Anakins fall being told, unnecessary, then he wrote dialog and story. Jar Jar. Mess.

Ep 4. It just worked.
Ep 5. Not his baby.
Ep 6. Sold out Wookies for Care Bears lol

nobody

Reaction score
Wasnt George heavily involved in ep 1 2 and 3.... then ep 4... not so much in ep 5 (best of all movies) then again ep 6?

While Lucas didn't write ESB, he handed the writers (there were multiple) a general outline and events he wanted to happen. During the shooting, he was always on set and made changes on occasion to fit his outline of what should happen better. Often he had to be talked out of some ideas for the betterment of the story. That means he listened to advice. Kennedy doesn't seem to do that.

nobody

Reaction score
I only like JJ for Fringe.

I hated his Khan remake. Garbage.

TFA - no creativity from him.

I was a JJ fan... that quickly faded.

Fringe was a fantastic show! I wasn't as fond of the final season...it seemed to suffer from Abramsitis. He has no clue how to write endings. It's almost like he comes up with an idea for something and gets bored before he finishes.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First of all the prequels didn’t need to happen.
Anakins fall being told, unnecessary, then he wrote dialog and story. Jar Jar. Mess.

Ep 4. It just worked.
Ep 5. Not his baby.
Ep 6. Sold out Wookies for Care Bears lol

And yet you prop up Kennedy for hitching her wagon to top filmmakers like Spielberg and Lucas after being nothing more than a typist? OK...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While Lucas didn't write ESB, he handed the writers (there were multiple) a general outline and events he wanted to happen. During the shooting, he was always on set and made changes on occasion to fit his outline of what should happen better. Often he had to be talked out of some ideas for the betterment of the story. That means he listened to advice. Kennedy doesn't seem to do that.

Look at her claim to fame, she associated with and has long been connected to actually talented people, those are her "qualifications". She started as a typist for Spielberg.