Who Is To Blame For The Star Wars Fiasco?

nobody

Reaction score
No question. Then again there is criticism. And then there is over-criticism. Please note I admit being a catalyst of the latter... from time-to-time...

When, as a writer or director or actor, you have one job and fail to do even a passable attempt for a project people are paying to see, then they have every right to criticize. Who decides if something is over-criticism as opposed to criticism?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When, as a writer or director or actor, you have one job and fail to do even a passable attempt for a project people are paying to see, then they have every right to criticize. Who decides if something is over-criticism as opposed to criticism?
Answer: no one. The difference is determined by the individual, for themselves only, and sometimes expressed verbally or in writing in the form of opinion. An opinion of an opinion is still only an opinion.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I think it becomes over criticism when people focus too much on the mistakes or errors in an effort to bash an otherwise great movie or show. Sure, the mistakes should have been caught, but how much did they really detract from the overall enjoyment of the movie? It goes to the point where it seems some people derive more enjoyment from finding the faults in a movie than from watching the movie itself. Where the their entertainment is derived from finding fault.

Lord of the Rings had many mistakes and errors, but it doesn't make them any less enjoyable movies, at least for most people.

nobody

Reaction score
I think it becomes over criticism when people focus too much on the mistakes or errors in an effort to bash an otherwise great movie or show. Sure, the mistakes should have been caught, but how much did they really detract from the overall enjoyment of the movie? It goes to the point where it seems some people derive more enjoyment from finding the faults in a movie than from watching the movie itself. Where the their entertainment is derived from finding fault.

Lord of the Rings had many mistakes and errors, but it doesn't make them any less enjoyable movies, at least for most people.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Lord of the Rings movies.

I didn't enjoy The Last Jedi at all. So when you say "an otherwise great movie or show," that's a matter of opinion. Since opinions are subjective, then over-criticism is also a matter of opinion rather than a definitive thing.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I thoroughly enjoyed the Lord of the Rings movies.

I didn't enjoy The Last Jedi at all. So when you say "an otherwise great movie or show," that's a matter of opinion. Since opinions are subjective, then over-criticism is also a matter of opinion rather than a definitive thing.
It is all a matter of opinion and while not my fav of the franchise, I did like it more than The Attack of the Phantom Clone Menace ones. Of course, I would have liked a few things done differently. Over criticism is also a POV, but for me at least, it comes when someone flogs and cries over the faults, but is more willing to accept or overlook those same type faults in the other movies. It's one thing to point out a fault or mistake and joking about it, but it's another when someone acts personally offended and wants to bash you over the head with it. Kinda like Francis in "Stripes", sometimes people should "Lighten Up".

A lot of it comes down to the level of expectations of the person, Dark Phoenix is a good example for me. I have high expectations because I was reading the X-Men comics at the time and it was such an iconic story, so I'm a little apprehensive about watching it. I already know I could be more critical of it than the average person, so I'll try to be more forgiving when I do watch it and hope they do it justice.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot of it comes down to the level of expectations of the person, Dark Phoenix is a good example for me. I have high expectations because I was reading the X-Men comics at the time and it was such an iconic story, so I'm a little apprehensive about watching it. I already know I could be more critical of it than the average person, so I'll try to be more forgiving when I do watch it and hope they do it justice.
You seem similar to me. You may have found balance between imagination and retrospective.

My advice after seeing the movie? Dismiss what you have read of the saga as much as humanly possible. Additionally, do not think in 'cosmic' terms but know going in that they did (thankfully) get The Phoenix Force correct.

I tried following my own advice. The prior teasers and trailers did not give me a good vibe overall. I am highly (in my opinion of course) critical of 'needed' accuracy based on known material. I do not mind re-imagining what is seen and read in comic books but do not appreciate when translation of content is illogically flubbed. No one, including someone like me who was/is well-versed in comic book literature and lore, should expect fantastical costumes, flamboyant dialogue, whimsical pursuits, etc., in these films. That practice seemly dumbs down content to fit what studios believe the audience requires. Yet, producer, screenwriter, director and actors should not completely separate what is known for what they want viewers to know that has zero ties with what made these comic book stories famous in the first place either.

One thing I will say without arguing with anyone who disagrees with me. It is not a terrible movie. I may be wrong but I think you may agree with that assessment once you see it for yourself.

nobody

Reaction score
It is all a matter of opinion and while not my fav of the franchise, I did like it more than The Attack of the Phantom Clone Menace ones. Of course, I would have liked a few things done differently. Over criticism is also a POV, but for me at least, it comes when someone flogs and cries over the faults, but is more willing to accept or overlook those same type faults in the other movies. It's one thing to point out a fault or mistake and joking about it, but it's another when someone acts personally offended and wants to bash you over the head with it. Kinda like Francis in "Stripes", sometimes people should "Lighten Up".

Fair enough, but as much as I hated The Phantom Menace, it had a consistent, paced story that moved the plot along. The Last Jedi didn't even have that. Sadly, it was a whole lot of wasted potential. :)

Because it's Fox, I have no expectations on Dark Phoenix and refuse to watch it in theaters. I'll wait until Marvel has full control of making X-Men movies to see it done right.