Who Is To Blame For The Star Wars Fiasco?

nobody

Reaction score
And people are complaining about the lack of follow through in the GoT story lines! Reading this thread, I realize there's a massive lack of continuity in the Star Wars franchise..............That's why Star Trek is so much better, IMO, though I haven't seen any of the streaming shows. (Assuming there's more than one.)

Star Trek isn't any better about continuity if you want to nitpick. Hollywood is rarely concerned about continuity.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Star Trek isn't any better about continuity if you want to nitpick. Hollywood is rarely concerned about continuity.
You'd have to give me examples of that. They connect stories even between different series.

nobody

Reaction score
You'd have to give me examples of that. They connect stories even between different series.

Well, discounting Discovery since it's a streaming one, Nearly all of Enterprise. TOS with its canned episodes never really showed the consequences of individual episodes and things were sort of glossed over.

In "Where No Man Has Gone Before" Kirk's name was James R Kirk. After that, it was James T Kirk. Minor, but still a continuity break. Little things like that were plastered across all series.

Nearly all of Enterprise was continuity breaking, even with the explanation of Temporal Cold War. Did all of that somehow get labelled top secret enough that afterward, nobody knew any of the events? The appearance of the cloaking device, which in canon was "Balance of Terror" suddenly appeared much earlier in Enterprise, yet was still a massive surprise to Star Fleet in Balance of Terror.

The appearance and nature of the Trill changed over time too. That breaks inner continuity. We won't even go into the appearance change of the Klingons in Discovery....since again, Discovery.

What about the Q episode in TNG where the girl (Amanda Rogers) finds out her parents are Q?....then in Voyager, Q states that he wants to be the first Q to reproduce?

In several episodes of TNG, Spot (Data's cat) was stated to be male. Another episode shows Spot having kittens.

First contact with the Borg? "Q Who" in Season 2 of TNG. BUT... Voyager comes along and the Hansen's (7 of 9's parents) 20 years earlier went on a mission to study the Borg.

In TNG, Scotty has no memory of Kirk's death, despite having been present on the ship where Kirk "died."

There are many many more if you just google it.

https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/what-is-the-worst-continuity-error-in-trek-history.139195/ has a ton of them (and fan-made excuses).

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well, discounting Discovery since it's a streaming one, Nearly all of Enterprise. TOS with its canned episodes never really showed the consequences of individual episodes and things were sort of glossed over.

In "Where No Man Has Gone Before" Kirk's name was James R Kirk. After that, it was James T Kirk. Minor, but still a continuity break. Little things like that were plastered across all series.
I don't know why they changed his middle name, but that's incredibly minor, in the context of the franchise.
Nearly all of Enterprise was continuity breaking, even with the explanation of Temporal Cold War. Did all of that somehow get labelled top secret enough that afterward, nobody knew any of the events? The appearance of the cloaking device, which in canon was "Balance of Terror" suddenly appeared much earlier in Enterprise, yet was still a massive surprise to Star Fleet in Balance of Terror.
I don't really remember much of the prequel, TBH, but I find it hard to believe there's no explanation for that. Not saying it's not a valid point, just that I don't remember enough to counter it.

The appearance and nature of the Trill changed over time too. That breaks inner continuity. We won't even go into the appearance change of the Klingons in Discovery....since again, Discovery.
Appearances are aesthetics, and the changes could be due to better makeup techniques, or simply different makeup artists' or directors' visions of what the characters should look like. I don't know what you mean by the "nature" of the Trill changing.
What about the Q episode in TNG where the girl (Amanda Rogers) finds out her parents are Q?....then in Voyager, Q states that he wants to be the first Q to reproduce?
Didn't they have her in secret? Is it possible Q didn't know about her?

In several episodes of TNG, Spot (Data's cat) was stated to be male. Another episode shows Spot having kittens.
My first thought was that Data simply never checked to see if Spot was male or female, but that seems unlikely. Still, when I refer to continuity, I'm talking about things relevant to the franchise.....but I do find it odd that they'd miss that. (Again, a story line I don't recall. Sometimes I have to actually see an episode, or part of it, to remember it.)

First contact with the Borg? "Q Who" in Season 2 of TNG. BUT... Voyager comes along and the Hansen's (7 of 9's parents) 20 years earlier went on a mission to study the Borg.
Nobody knew her parents had been studying the Borg. They weren't part of Star Fleet, IIRC, so there was no "First Contact". Regardless, they were assimilated into the collective, so Star Fleet would never have known anyway.
In TNG, Scotty has no memory of Kirk's death, despite having been present on the ship where Kirk "died."
Can't explain this one...amnesia? LOL

There are many many more if you just google it.

https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/what-is-the-worst-continuity-error-in-trek-history.139195/ has a ton of them (and fan-made excuses).

nobody

Reaction score

You asked me to provide some, so I did. Minor or not, there some are. There are many more.

As far as the Q one, The TNG episode one happened way before the Voyager one, so Q knew for sure that other Q procreated. She even went off with him at the end of the episode. They (the Q continuum) had killed her parents with an impossible tornado on a weather-controlled Earth.

My point is, any time you have a long-running show or series of connected shows, you're going to have continuity errors unless they're meticulous about it. Not even Star Trek is meticulous about it.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You asked me to provide some, so I did. Minor or not, there some are. There are many more.

As far as the Q one, The TNG episode one happened way before the Voyager one, so Q knew for sure that other Q procreated. She even went off with him at the end of the episode. They (the Q continuum) had killed her parents with an impossible tornado on a weather-controlled Earth.

My point is, any time you have a long-running show or series of connected shows, you're going to have continuity errors unless they're meticulous about it. Not even Star Trek is meticulous about it.
They're not perfect no, and you're right, I'd forgotten that Q took her. That was a pretty big mistake. But when you consider all the different incarnations of the franchise, all the episodes and movies, and all the time between them, I don't think any other show or movie series can compare to their continuity.

BTW, some of the posters on that site seem like absolute morons. You wanna try to look intelligent by pointing out flaws in a show like Star Trek, you should probably know the difference between "here" and "hear".
:laugh:

Londonboy

Reaction score

I love the way the Universal Translator fails to translate whenever an Alien is having a Religious or Cultural moment.

nobody

Reaction score
I love the way the Universal Translator fails to translate whenever an Alien is having a Religious or Cultural moment.

I can understand that to some degree. Imagine explaining a concept to someone who speaks a language in which it's impossible to explain that concept. Explain a thermonuclear explosion to a Native American who lived around 2k years ago in his own language.

Or some colloquialism that refers to a biological process that Star Fleet has never encountered before.

But yeah, translators worked perfect until the plot called for a breakdown of translation. "Shaka, when the walls fell."

Londonboy

Reaction score
Well, if those moments involve completely foreign concepts, how would the translator know what to do?
For scientific terms outside of a frame of reference or unknowable Cultural references that's fair enough.
But why can't it translate "Today is a good day to die" from Kilngon or "Dear Prophets, gosh, You are so great, please watch over Cpt. Sisko, thanks ever so much" from Bajoran?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
For scientific terms outside of a frame of reference or unknowable Cultural references that's fair enough.
But why can't it translate "Today is a good day to die" from Kilngon or "Dear Prophets, gosh, You are so great, please watch over Cpt. Sisko, thanks ever so much" from Bajoran?
I see what you mean. Maybe there are certain phrases that are just so common, the translator doesn't need to translate? I always thought the weird thing about the translator is that you don't hear the foreign language being spoken as the translator is putting it into English.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WalDCjx.gif

nobody

Reaction score

To be fair, it was in defense of Star Wars and other movies/shows with a long history of continuity issues. Even Star Trek has continuity issues. However, some are more problematic than others. Barring Enterprise and Discovery, Star Trek was mostly pretty good about keeping continuity.

Star Wars is more about lack of explanation as opposed to continuity breaking.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To be fair, it was in defense of Star Wars and other movies/shows with a long history of continuity issues. Even Star Trek has continuity issues. However, some are more problematic than others. Barring Enterprise and Discovery, Star Trek was mostly pretty good about keeping continuity.

Star Wars is more about lack of explanation as opposed to continuity breaking.
I think in the future I will suggest to my family or friends to read CowboysZone the next time they accuse me of being too critical or serious about movies and television. :)

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I can see where it would be difficult. Sometimes what is a common saying or phrase somewhere, doesn't translate well without explaining the meaning behind the phrase. I've experienced that firsthand. I had a Finnish GF, we were having a very minor disagreement about something, it wasn't a fight or argument, but I finally said "this is like beating a dead horse" She freaked out and blew up, she's yelling and asking if I'm calling her a horse, why would I want to beat her, why would I want to beat a horse...... it escalated quickly. It took a little bit to calm her down and explain what the saying really meant. Using or saying phrases can confuse or enrage people that don't understand the meaning behind it.

I can see instances where a Universal translator can be confused with seemingly simple words or phrases. Like here if someone say's "That's bad" does it it really mean it's awful, or does it mean it's really good? Some Kligon is showing off his prized weapon to a Federation engineer and he say's "That's bad", next thing you know the Kligon is now offended and we now have a dead Federation engineer. I think I would want the Universal Translator to err on the side of caution when trying to determine the meaning behind cultural phrases or sayings.

The phrase may be explained as Dear Prophets, gosh, You are so great, please watch over Cpt. Sisko" , but the actual words used may be closer to something like "May the blood of The Prophets rain down on you and fill yours lungs Capt Sisko"

Last edited:

nobody

Reaction score
I think in the future I will suggest to my family or friends to read CowboysZone the next time they accuse me of being too critical or serious about movies and television. :)

lol, there's nothing wrong about expecting consistency.