Who Starts at MLB

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, me too. Reluctantly. I mean, we risk him getting hurt too but......he can ball out and we just have to keep our fingers crossed. Try to sign a backup, physical thumper that gets released after final cuts and roll with it.

He's our most instinctive LB by a lot. You're putting him in position to make plays sideline to sideline rather than playing him on one side of the field.

I'd do it. Injuries are a part of the game. I wouldn't coach to avoid injuries. I'd coach to win games.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Too many marshmallow's on this team that have yet to practice. How hurt are some of these guys in our cup cake training camp?

They're injured because they're allowed to be. It's accepted, so it gets abused.

Swap Garrett for Parcells and no way in hell do you see this nonsense going on. Wouldn't happen.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
They're injured because they're allowed to be. It's accepted, so it gets abused.

Swap Garrett for Parcells and no way in hell do you see this nonsense going on. Wouldn't happen.

Have to agree with you. The clapper has turned this team into a fondue.

marshmallow-fondant-21622923.jpg

rpntex

Reaction score
Here's a possible solution that comes with a big IF attached...

IF Wilson can play decent in coverage, then you can limit Jaylon's snaps by playing him ONLY at MLB in the base defense, which Dallas only plays 25-30% of snaps anyway. The other 70% or so they are in some variation of nickel, and only need 2 LBers on the field. Once again, that only works if Wilson can play in coverage.

That could be one way to solve this particular dilemma, at least until Durant can play. At that point, You move Wilson back to his best position, and split time at MLB between Durant and Smith.

rpntex

Reaction score
We should have never let Leary go

Not related to the topic, but I don't believe we had a choice there. From what I've heard/read (unconfirmed as it may be), Leary was hell bent on leaving after the Cowboys refused to accommodate his trade demands from camp last season. It's quite possible he was leaving, regardless of what Jerry offered him.

rpntex

Reaction score
That is the same thing someone told me when I said they could move Collins out to RT from guard.

I could actually care less if they do it or not. But it still remains a possibility.

Either way the Lber situation, much like the pass rush, and much like the secondary is in disarray.

Apples to oranges...

With Collins, the main point of disagreement was whether he could play RT effectively at this level (concerns about his footwork, mostly).

With Durant, it's not a question of CAN he play MLB, but when will he be available to play.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I sorta think the correct answer is who replaces Hitchens in the MLB role right now is probably a combination of Woods/Frazier. Before you tell me they're safeties just listen to my reasoning. The base defense in the NFL now isn't a 4-3 or a 3-4 its the nickle. Right now I don't trust any of our LB to play in the nickle beside Lee. I think Durant will be alright then once he's up to speed. I think Smith will probably be alright there by the end of the year if he keeps progressing. I think Wilson doesn't have the right coverage skills for it. I don't trust Nzeocha to either make a play or stay healthy. And I'm guessing a 4-1-6 might well be better for us then the more traditional 4-2-5 because we can likely have someone who's more of a hitter up in the box and not sacrifice coverage skills. As far as who's the MLB in the 4-3 when we play it, some combo of Durant/Smith seems like the most likely combination.
Derinyar---I like your thinking..especially week 1....put woods and frazier and Lee as only linebacker...clog , cover, hit'em

Nirvana

Reaction score
Jones is a Will not a Mike. Shifting Lee over would be necessary. Jones makes plays I kind of like the idea. Sure to have some growing pains though.

Reaction score
This defense was designed to have the WILL LB to be the playmaker of the group. Derrick Brooks was the WILL in Tampa.

Your best, most important LB is the WILL in this defense. So you put your best LB at that spot. That is Sean Lee.

You can mix and match your SAM and MIKE.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Lee and Wilson and Durant as the cover LBers in that order. Durant is in another tier below them. I don't know what they will do with the base package. Lee is a possibility but I don't think they want to move him. Easier to move just one guy although they will put the best three out there if they can.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

How many playoff games did Parcells win with the Cowboys?

Thomas Paine said:
A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.

Your train of thought reminds me of the NBA's response to Greg Popovich resting players and shutting them down until healed with injury. He shut Tim Duncan down in the 2002 playoffs after a knee injury that Tim Duncan thought he could play through. That same year Grant Hill tried to play through a foot injury.

At the time Grant was panned as a brave winner and Popovich vilified the cowardly loser. The next year Duncan won the MVP on the way to a title. Grant Hill had multiple surgeries and didn't play more than a quarter of a season for 5 years.

Bill Walton injured his foot in 1978 and the Blazers pumped him up with painkillers and antiinflammatories and sent him back out there.

https://www.si.com/vault/1978/08/21...am-medical-policy-and-headed-for-golden-state

He played 14 games over the next 4 years.

Here is Tony Boselli talking about the injury that ended his career.

I played through it, and I had to get my ankle cleaned up after the year so I thought, I'll just rehab my shoulder, no big deal. The following the year it started getting worse, and I kept on playing with it. It was my choice, nobody made me, I didn't want to not play. And after that year I thought, Well, I made it through all 16 games again, I'll just rehab it again.It was the following season where it got bad enough for me to go in for surgery.

Again, I didn't think it would be that big of a deal. Just a quick fix-up, but it turned out to be worse than I thought it was. And... I don't want to talk about this, but I wasn't real happy with the surgery.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/artic...yers-on-the-injuries-that-ended-their-careers

Then of course there is the culture prior to the last decade where concussions were treated with smelling salts and more play.

Time to move on from dinosaur thinking.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Lee and Wilson and Durant as the cover LBers in that order. Durant is in another tier below them. I don't know what they will do with the base package. Lee is a possibility but I don't think they want to move him. Easier to move just one guy although they will put the best three out there if they can.

Wilson is not a tier above Durant. Wilson cannot run. http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/damien-wilson?id=2552686

That 4.77 translates to the field when asked to cover TE and RB over distance. Getting from the short side of the field laterally to the sideline is one thing. From the los to 20 or more yards downfield is an entire other matter.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Wilson is not a tier above Durant. Wilson cannot run. http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/damien-wilson?id=2552686

That 4.77 translates to the field when asked to cover TE and RB over distance. Getting from the short side of the field laterally to the sideline is one thing. From the los to 20 or more yards downfield is an entire other matter.

Looks much faster to me. His low is 4.65 which is about like Lee. Their 10 and 3 cone is more important anyway. I've reiterated how important it is to look at player's 40 range not just one datum. He can cover. Durant is more inconsistent as a cover LB.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
How many playoff games did Parcells win with the Cowboys?

Your train of thought reminds me of the NBA's response to Greg Popovich resting players and shutting them down until healed with injury. He shut Tim Duncan down in the 2002 playoffs after a knee injury that Tim Duncan thought he could play through. That same year Grant Hill tried to play through a foot injury.

At the time Grant was panned as a brave winner and Popovich vilified the cowardly loser. The next year Duncan won the MVP on the way to a title. Grant Hill had multiple surgeries and didn't play more than a quarter of a season for 5 years.

Bill Walton injured his foot in 1978 and the Blazers pumped him up with painkillers and antiinflammatories and sent him back out there.

https://www.si.com/vault/1978/08/21...am-medical-policy-and-headed-for-golden-state

He played 14 games over the next 4 years.

Here is Tony Boselli talking about the injury that ended his career.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/artic...yers-on-the-injuries-that-ended-their-careers

Then of course there is the culture prior to the last decade where concussions were treated with smelling salts and more play.

Time to move on from dinosaur thinking.

Awesome post.