Who Starts at MLB

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Looks much faster to me. His low is 4.65 which is about like Lee. Their 10 and 3 cone is more important anyway. I've reiterated how important it is to look at player's 40 range not just one datum. He can cover. Durant is more inconsistent as a cover LB.

Sean Lee was coming off a torn ACL in 2009 when he ran.

I've been watching Wilson struggle to carry people down and across the field for 2 years. I suppose we will have to agree to disagree. No biggee.

Nirvana

Reaction score

I hope Jaylon gets the bulk of the work at MLB in the interim. I'm not a doctor though.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not true, he practiced last week. Per Broaddus:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2017/08/24/scout’s-notebook-anthony-brown’s-recovery-justin-durant’s-debut-more

• We had the opportunity to see a little of Justin Durant for the first time working in the play action period. Scott Linehan called a misdirection flip play on short yardage to try and fool the defense. Damontre' Moore did a nice job of staying at home -- but he was also playing wide enough to force Rod Smith to have to cut the ball inside. Durant, hustling from the middle of the field, was able to beat Chaz Green’s block. Durant was able to wrap up Smith with a solid open field tackle.
Thanks. I knew was off of the NFI but I didn't know he had practiced.+
Looks much faster to me. His low is 4.65 which is about like Lee. Their 10 and 3 cone is more important anyway. I've reiterated how important it is to look at player's 40 range not just one datum. He can cover. Durant is more inconsistent as a cover LB.
The High and Low low forty numbers at nflds are pre-draft estimates.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
The rookie Jones looked good in 1 game but has not played much since.

I wonder why Jones did not get more playing time these past few preseason games. Maybe the team was thinking about sliding him to the PS and not letting other teams see him much.

Gilchrist has also looked good in limited reps so far.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What does that solve?

The only way I see that happening is if Wilson is way better at WLB than MLB.

Durant split MLB snaps with Hitchens last season so he's not moving to WLB.

Wilber is SLB only.

Nzeocha has primarily played MLB.

The rookie Jones looked good in 1 game but has not played much since.

Are you still on the Green bandwagon?

Chaz Green
Green was the favorite to win the starting left guard spot to fill out the Cowboys offensive line, but that looks like a lost cause as this point. Once again, Green got himself hurt. Whether it’s a shoulder injury, cramps, or now - an ankle, he just cannot stay healthy. The Cowboys were hoping to mold him into a key component of their offensive line, but it looks like they need to put him back in the kiln a little longer so he hardens. The guy is just too soft.

Jonathan Cooper - welcome to the starting unit, buddy.

Reactions: BAT

diefree666

Reaction score
Are you still on the Green bandwagon?

Chaz Green
Green was the favorite to win the starting left guard spot to fill out the Cowboys offensive line, but that looks like a lost cause as this point. Once again, Green got himself hurt. Whether it’s a shoulder injury, cramps, or now - an ankle, he just cannot stay healthy. The Cowboys were hoping to mold him into a key component of their offensive line, but it looks like they need to put him back in the kiln a little longer so he hardens. The guy is just too soft.

Jonathan Cooper - welcome to the starting unit, buddy.

gotta agree that Green is softer than half baked dough

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
An option

Would rather sign a true 4-3 LB like Darryl Washington. He would drastically improve the LB coverage and bring more nasty against the run. Jerry needs to read the dang tea leaves, just sign Washington. If he sucks then cut him.

But putting all the eggs in a fragile old basket like Durant is crazy.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Would rather sign a true 4-3 LB like Darryl Washington. He would drastically improve the LB coverage and bring more nasty against the run. Jerry needs to read the dang tea leaves, just sign Washington. If he sucks then cut him.

The guy has to show that he wants to play first. He isn't doing that. As a matter of fact, he's doing the opposite.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Too late for that. They need help for game 1 to 8. Washington would take weeks to get ready.

It's not that hard to find a 2-down, 4-3 LB if Jaylon can play as one of the 2 LBs in the Nickel.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Too late for that. They need help for game 1 to 8. Washington would take weeks to get ready.

It's not that hard to find a 2-down, 4-3 LB if Jaylon can play as one of the 2 LBs in the Nickel.

Too short sighted. Lee, Jaylon, even Durant, are walking injury concerns, finding a stop gap is not the problem. Finding an upgrade/replacement is.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Too short sighted. Lee, Jaylon, even Durant, are walking injury concerns, finding a stop gap is not the problem. Finding an upgrade/replacement is.

You don't really find upgrades at this time of year.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Good luck with that daddy.

Nirvana

Reaction score
What does this guy have up his sleeve...

Will_McClay.0.jpg

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
You don't really find upgrades at this time of year.

You're right, lucking out into upgrades is highly unlikely. There is low hanging fruit - very little risk, potential big reward - like Washington or Orr. And there are the bigger upgrades that are much more costly or more risky, e.g. Aaron Donald or trade for young players like Ravens' Tim Williams, Matt Judon or Tyus Bowser.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
The answer is a combination of Jaylon, Durant and whoever they can salvage off the scrap heap during cuts next week. Lee needs to stay at WLB where he has only become an All-Pro LB.

jday

Reaction score
That is the same thing someone told me when I said they could move Collins out to RT from guard.

I could actually care less if they do it or not. But it still remains a possibility.

Either way the Lber situation, much like the pass rush, and much like the secondary is in disarray.
Disarray might be a tad bit strong...

The good news is the Cowboys don't face a good offense until the end of September in the Cardinals...and I think the Cowboys can handle them. Two games later, the Cowboys face the Packers which will probably be more of a challenge, but we will have back almost every player currently suspended, minus Zeke (if he can't get an injunction in time / the appeal will be denied, imo) and Gregory. By that point the rookies will have at least gotten their feet wet. So...who knows... I still say the Cowboys are going to be really good this season...it's just a question of how long will it take for them to gel.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Disarray might be a tad bit strong...

The good news is the Cowboys don't face a good offense until the end of September in the Cardinals...and I think the Cowboys can handle them. Two games later, the Cowboys face the Packers which will probably be more of a challenge, but we will have back almost every player currently suspended, minus Zeke (if he can't get an injunction in time / the appeal will be denied, imo) and Gregory. By that point the rookies will have at least gotten their feet wet. So...who knows... I still say the Cowboys are going to be really good this season...it's just a question of how long will it take for them to gel.

The boys will definitely be good. Dark will rise to the occasion.

But without Zeke games will be closer, early leads may not come so easily, Margin for error will shrink. Coaching will be more important. Game management will come into play.

Last year our run d was a strength. I think that will suffer some this year. The secondary played well last year. When Claiborne was healthy, he was very effective. We will know soon enough.