Who Starts at MLB

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Would rather sign a true 4-3 LB like Darryl Washington. He would drastically improve the LB coverage and bring more nasty against the run. Jerry needs to read the dang tea leaves, just sign Washington. If he sucks then cut him.

But putting all the eggs in a fragile old basket like Durant is crazy.
True that Brooks is more of a pass rusher! 58 sacks in his career. No bad. 6-3 259.
You're right hes better suited rushing the passer

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'm going with Jaylen. Don't care if he's not ready, etc... I'm starting him day 1.

Macnalty

Reaction score
Actually, yes they should have.

His injury concerns didn't warrant that big of a contract.
I agree that knee of his is going to be an issue as the sand is running low in the hourglass for that injury. I wish him the best and hope the diagnosis was incorrect and he proves us all wrong.

Macnalty

Reaction score
Disarray might be a tad bit strong...

The good news is the Cowboys don't face a good offense until the end of September in the Cardinals...and I think the Cowboys can handle them. Two games later, the Cowboys face the Packers which will probably be more of a challenge, but we will have back almost every player currently suspended, minus Zeke (if he can't get an injunction in time / the appeal will be denied, imo) and Gregory. By that point the rookies will have at least gotten their feet wet. So...who knows... I still say the Cowboys are going to be really good this season...it's just a question of how long will it take for them to gel.
Sounds like you are whistling in the dark about the defense. You echo my cowboy fan interpretation of the first five games, Hitchens should be available after the bye week and we play the forty niners. My non fan neutral look at our Defense is things are going to have to fall right for us in order to just be average at the beginning of the season with all our talent being on the sideline due to suspensions and injuries.

jday

Reaction score
The boys will definitely be good. Dark will rise to the occasion.

But without Zeke games will be closer, early leads may not come so easily, Margin for error will shrink. Coaching will be more important. Game management will come into play.

Last year our run d was a strength. I think that will suffer some this year. The secondary played well last year. When Claiborne was healthy, he was very effective. We will know soon enough.
Your concerns are certainly warranted. With the exodus of Carr and Claiborne, we are not just seeing a shift from experience, but also schematic approach. Based on my limited understanding of what Marinelli is attempting to build, the players allowed to walk combined with the type of talent they opted to replace them with, suggest a shift from predominantly man looks to zone.

With that schematic shift and the addition of youth, I absolutely expect growing pains. That said, a shift to zone could very well be just what the doctor ordered, particularly against the Giants in game 1. The Giants lack of an offensive line necessitates a quick passing game. The best way to break the back of a quick passing game is through zone coverage. If it works the way it is supposed to, we can expect some turnovers in our favor. And if the Cowboys don't return the favor, the Cowboys most likely win.

But you are right...much will also depend on in-game management and in-game adjustments, which falls squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff. So in a sense, the Cowboys efforts over the first stretch of games without the handful of starters out due to injury or suspension will be their Super Bowl. While not ideal, it will certainly answer the question of rather or not the Cowboys have the right coaches standing on the sideline. If they can emerge from the other side of Zeke's suspension at .500, I think we'll be okay down the stretch.

jday

Reaction score
Sounds like you are whistling in the dark about the defense. You echo my cowboy fan interpretation of the first five games, Hitchens should be available after the bye week and we play the forty niners. My non fan neutral look at our Defense is things are going to have to fall right for us in order to just be average at the beginning of the season with all our talent being on the sideline due to suspensions and injuries.
Perhaps I am a bit drunk on the proverbial blue & silver elixer, but I think the Cowboys will be fine. The offense will have to carry this team in the early going (as they did for just about the whole of last year) and their ability to do so will be handicapped by the absence of Zeke...but I don't think it will be as difficult to get by without Zeke as some people are thinking. After all, all three of the running backs behind Zeke have demonstrated an ability to be effective at the very least moving the chains. They might not have the gamebreaking ability of Zeke, but to me, in this offense, that's merely icing on an otherwise amazing cake.

My key point is this: Better to be without Zeke than to be without Dak. With or without Zeke, I still believe Dak can move this offense down the field. Thus far in preseason, against admittedly vanilla looks, they have done just that and made it look easy.

So as long as the offense keeps clicking, this defense will have wiggle-room for error. As the defense plays together and adds back players from suspensiion/injury, I suspect they will play better and better.

Perhaps that is wishful thinking, but it's a hell of alot better than watching the games with my feet dangling off the edge.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Give me 3 sacks a game, with a couple of defensive turn-overs, I don't care who is on the field...it'll be enough with our offense.