Who they will keep on the DLine

sbark

Reaction score
DLaw, Taco, Gregory, Armstrong, Tapper
Collins, Woods, Crawford, Ward, Price

If only 9, then remove Tapper, as Crawford can kick outside if needed.

Jones may go to IR if he is not back to practice by cut down day. Garrett said do not expect to see him any time soon.
Also would not be surprised if Woods goes to PS since Crawford has been moved back inside. It will be a numbers game, as to keep 9 or 10, which depends on how many RB's, Wr's, TE's and even QB's are kept.

Ealy or Tapper would be the last DE out, but Tapper is younger and more update, Ealy a one year deal, and have not heard his name all TC. But really ave not heard about Tapper either.

The other question is, who goes when Irving returns, possibly Tapper. Unless another position is reduced.
Also do not be surprised if they keep only 8 DL. They did a few years back when DLaw and Irving both were suspended.
See woods getting to many looks at 1tech to be moved to ps, kids a load

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
See woods getting to many looks at 1tech to be moved to ps, kids a load

Oh I agree, but it just what this team does. A player stands out, but yet they are released as they try to get them to the PS.
And we as fans often buy into the hype that we see, but do not know all the other TC going ons.

I can see him making the team, but what happens when Irving returns. Do they then release him and get him to the PS, since most teams are pretty well set with their rosters come game 5.

Just my thoughts. Not saying he doesn't belong on the 53, as I think he deserves that chance.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Jones have to be on the opening 53 before he could go to IR with a return designation?

That is true if you want to bring him back during the season. If you are just hiding for the year (like Rico last year), you can just IR him. They just did that with Jameil Showers and Ash, the DT.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh I agree, but it just what this team does. A player stands out, but yet they are released as they try to get them to the PS.
And we as fans often buy into the hype that we see, but do not know all the other TC going ons.

I can see him making the team, but what happens when Irving returns. Do they then release him and get him to the PS, since most teams are pretty well set with their rosters come game 5.

Just my thoughts. Not saying he doesn't belong on the 53, as I think he deserves that chance.

You are so pessimistic!
:laugh:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is true if you want to bring him back during the season. If you are just hiding for the year (like Rico last year), you can just IR him. They just did that with Jameil Showers and Ash, the DT.

Yeah but I think they'd have to pay Jones for the year and then he'd just be a free agent next year. I don't see it as anything advantageous.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Yeah but I think they'd have to pay Jones for the year and then he'd just be a free agent next year. I don't see it as anything advantageous.

Sure, but you keep him in the program, getting coaching, strength training, etc. And he is much more likely to resign if you do want to bring him back.

I could be totally wrong on Jihad Ward but I do think he makes the team over Jones. I'll wait and see obviously.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I feel like Price is a lock. I would have said Datone was as well, but now with his injury, that opens the door for Ward, who hasn’t impressed me at all since the pads came on.

Initially I thought they might try to get a low round conditional pick for Tapper, but with the move of Crawford to back to DT, they might be trying to find a way to keep Tapper, still keeping 5 DEs, and ditch Ward. Either way I think the last DL kept will either be Ward or Tapper who I think will be on the chopping block as soon as Dino is ready to come back.

I thought Ward looked good in early camp practices that I saw. He looked decent in PS game 1; however, he didn't show up much in PS game 2.

I'm near-100% that either Price or Datone Jones makes the roster.

I think both but not certain on that.

Has Collins gone though a full practice? I knew he was activated from PUP but they normally don't just throw them back into full practice immediately.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I thought Ward looked good in early camp practices that I saw. He looked decent in PS game 1; however, he didn't show up much in PS game 2.

They were discussing this at the beginning of Talkin' Cowboys. Spags said Jones was going on IR.

DiResta

Reaction score
They probably keep 10 but it has been 9 and 11 in the past years. They have 8 active on game days.

DE

DLaw
Taco
Gregory
Armstrong

DT
Collins
Woods
Crawford

Bubble
Jihad Ward
Price
Datone Jones
Tapper

Highly unlikely
Ealy

Suspended
Irving
I just remember all the talk of Marinelli coveting Ward
seems he would have to fade quite a bit before they cut ties
Price is probably a lock. There is no way they will go into a season with just 3 DTs and one of them is Crawford who they just moved back from DE and weighs like 265-270lbs.
Crawford reported at camp 285lbs per their sheet

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They were discussing this at the beginning of Talkin' Cowboys. Spags said Jones was going on IR.
Wow, I didn't realize that. I've been a bit out of the loop the past few days.

If he goes on IR now, he can't return. He would need to be on the initial cut to 53 then moved to IR the next day.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score

Has Collins gone though a full practice? I knew he was activated from PUP but they normally don't just throw them back into full practice immediately.

I don’t think Collins has done any team drills or much substantial yet, although I think I read where he took part in walkthroughs.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
They probably keep 10 but it has been 9 and 11 in the past years. They have 8 active on game days.

DE

DLaw
Taco
Gregory
Armstrong

DT
Collins
Woods
Crawford

Bubble
Jihad Ward
Price
Datone Jones
Tapper

Highly unlikely
Ealy

Suspended
Irving

DT1

Woods
Price
Ash?

DT3

Collins
Crawford
Ward
One of Jones/Ealy

DE

Tank
Taco
Gregory
Armstrong
Tapper

Remember TC and pre-season games aren't over yet and injuries are always a factor. Datone Jones was injured in the last pre-season game I think. Ealy up.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ward was out there in the 4th quarter of the 2nd preseason game. So was Price. That is usually a hint that one is on the bubble. To Price's credit, he actually played well in the 4th quarter. Ward did not, as far as I recall. I would guess Ward will be cut.

Playing in the 4th quarter is not a problem unless they only play in the 4th quarter which might have been the case with Ward.

Coaches sometimes play young players throughout the game even if they basically made the team. Many coaches like to force them to a state of exhaustion to "toughen" them up.

I recall Marinelli doing it to David Irving in the past.

Parcells loved to do it; although sometimes it fails (see Stephen Peterman knee injury).

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

good insight and that opens the door for someone like Ealy. We're down on him but remember he came off of a significant off season season surgery. It's two more weeks of TC and injuries will be a factor

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DT1

Woods
Price
Ash?

DT3

Collins
Crawford
Ward
One of Jones/Ealy

DE

Tank
Taco
Gregory
Armstrong
Tapper

Remember TC and pre-season games aren't over yet and injuries are always a factor. Datone Jones was injured in the last pre-season game I think. Ealy up.

Yes, Ealy played some DT in the last game.

I noticed he tried to take himself out of the game and they forced him back onto the field. I think his struggles in the NFL have been due to laziness and often being overweight.

DiResta

Reaction score
doesn't make any difference in the dline roster but could we see a situational package in the future with Jaylon in a DE role similar to Melvin Ingram? they are basically the same size
they may be exactly the same but Jaylon is leaner
maybe even a year from now, just a thought. would assume some things will remain the same like Tank being given the huge contract and Randy remaining available, Armstrong continues to stand out... etc

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
It was one, his only catch. He wasn't making this team with the Tavon Austin trade. Now should they have asked for a pick next year?
He has more than one catch so that's wrong. By the way he could very easily made this team so stop with the he wouldn't have made the team.