Who they will keep on the DLine

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Yes, Ealy played some DT in the last game.

I noticed he tried to take himself out of the game and they forced him back onto the field. I think his struggles in the NFL have been due to laziness and often being overweight.

I have no idea. I know he's coming off surgery. Is that a factor? Who knows. I don't pretend to know things that I don't know

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DLaw, Taco, Gregory, Armstrong, Tapper
Collins, Woods, Crawford, Ward, Price

If only 9, then remove Tapper, as Crawford can kick outside if needed.

Jones may go to IR if he is not back to practice by cut down day. Garrett said do not expect to see him any time soon.
Also would not be surprised if Woods goes to PS since Crawford has been moved back inside. It will be a numbers game, as to keep 9 or 10, which depends on how many RB's, Wr's, TE's and even QB's are kept.

Ealy or Tapper would be the last DE out, but Tapper is younger and more update, Ealy a one year deal, and have not heard his name all TC. But really ave not heard about Tapper either.

The other question is, who goes when Irving returns, possibly Tapper. Unless another position is reduced.
Also do not be surprised if they keep only 8 DL. They did a few years back when DLaw and Irving both were suspended.
Woods=1tech
Crawford=3tech

Woods appears to be the starting 1tech. They'll likely have Collins and Crawford actually start but Woods appears to be set to play a majority of the 1tech snaps.

They normally have primarily a 3-man DT rotation with the 4th guy getting significantly less snaps. Something like (200% for 2 positions combined):
60% 3tech #1
60% 3tech #2
60% 1tech #1
20% 4th DT

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They probably keep 10 but it has been 9 and 11 in the past years. They have 8 active on game days.

DE

DLaw
Taco
Gregory
Armstrong

DT
Collins
Woods
Crawford

Bubble
Jihad Ward
Price
Datone Jones
Tapper

Highly unlikely
Ealy

Suspended
Irving

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Price already has a spot as the other 1-tech. At this point, I'm not concerned about keeping any of the others, so I could live with eight making it. I originally had 10, but have not really seen enough out of Ward, Jones, Tapper and Ealy to fight for any of them.

gimmesix

Reaction score
It's not just you, once the pads came on, Ward became the Invisible Man.

I think we got excited about him when Martin said to watch out for him, but Martin hadn't seen him in pads at that point, either.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure, but you keep him in the program, getting coaching, strength training, etc. And he is much more likely to resign if you do want to bring him back.

I could be totally wrong on Jihad Ward but I do think he makes the team over Jones. I'll wait and see obviously.

You may not be wrong, given the severity and duration of Jones injury.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Price already has a spot as the other 1-tech. At this point, I'm not concerned about keeping any of the others, so I could live with eight making it. I originally had 10, but have not really seen enough out of Ward, Jones, Tapper and Ealy to fight for any of them.
If Jones is going to IR, it's fairly easy to narrow down:

DE
DLaw
Taco
Gregory
Armstrong

DT
Collins
Woods
Crawford
Price

Jihad Ward and/or Tapper

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Good policy. It's make a good quote.

I might start calling you Yogi...

I been called yogi bear before.... chew on that lol
tumblr_oxkf14SZAT1tbq54wo1_500.gif

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
If Jones is going to IR, it's fairly easy to narrow down:

DE
DLaw
Taco
Gregory
Armstrong

DT
Collins
Woods
Crawford
Price

Jihad Ward and/or Tapper

hmmmm we kept more d-lineman last year and I don't see keeping fewer. I see keeping more in fact

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we got excited about him when Martin said to watch out for him, but Martin hadn't seen him in pads at that point, either.

I think some people got excited the second he became a Cowboy. That's all it took and suddenly, a Raiders bust second round pick was our next starting defensive tackle. And now we wait to see if the player even makes the team.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
hmmmm we kept more d-lineman last year and I don't see keeping fewer. I see keeping more in fact
This was the week one DL roster:
Defensive Linemen
1 Maliek Collins
2 DeMarcus Lawrence
3 Stephen Paea
4 Tyrone Crawford
5 Taco Charlton
6 Benson Mayowa
7 Brian Price
8 Charles Tapper

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
I think Ward is firmly in the “DT” section rather than the “Bubble” section.

I don't think so. He looked good in shorts/shells but lacks the physicality Leon Lett is looking for in a DT. He better show something the next few games or he will be looking for a job.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Defensive Linemen
1 Maliek Collins
2 DeMarcus Lawrence
3 Stephen Paea
4 Tyrone Crawford
5 Taco Charlton
6 Benson Mayowa
7 Brian Price
8 Charles Tapper
What happened to D Jones? How bad is it?

irishline

Reaction score
Last edited:

Sandyf

Reaction score
They probably keep 10 but it has been 9 and 11 in the past years. They have 8 active on game days.

DE

DLaw
Taco
Gregory
Armstrong

DT
Collins
Woods
Crawford

Bubble
Jihad Ward
Price
Datone Jones
Tapper

Highly unlikely
Ealy

Suspended
Irving
Think they keep 10, DE-Lawrence, Gregory, Alexander, Charlton, Ealy, Tapper DT: Collins, Crawford, Ward, Woods

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Defensive Linemen
1 Maliek Collins
2 DeMarcus Lawrence
3 Stephen Paea
4 Tyrone Crawford
5 Taco Charlton
6 Benson Mayowa
7 Brian Price
8 Charles Tapper

Those may have been the starters but add Richard Ash, Stephen Paea, Lewis Neal, Benson Mayowa who were all on the 53 and worked in Mary's rotation. That's 12 d-lineman and I may have missed one. We will not keep fewer than 12. Where will it come from? 3 TE's instead of 4, 3 RB's instead of 4, 2 QB's with one on the PS and on

gimmesix

Reaction score
Switzer did not have the right mentality. He was sloppy and had an attitude. Good riddance.

He's caught one pass this preseason, but it was a 7-yard TD, and had one punt return for no yards (not sure if it was a fair catch) ... so I guess he's made a little more noise than Ward. His touchdown came in the second quarter with the second-team offense.

Kaiser

Reaction score
It was one, his only catch. He wasn't making this team with the Tavon Austin trade. Now should they have asked for a pick next year?

Exactly, as it is now we are going to cut one or two out of Lenoir, Deonte Thompson and Noah Brown. I don't see Switzer making the roster, or being significantly better than the guys we keep.