Who was shocked that Romo retired?

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I think the factors were his family, his health, the cushy job offer, and not really wanting to play anywhere other than Dallas. I think what pushed it over the top was Dallas not releasing him right away. I don't care what anyone says or thinks, I believe he and Jerry had a conversation about him coming back if Dak got injured. He decided to start his career after football knowing he would have the chance to return and be the QB of the Cowboys if certain things happened. I think Jerry has a similar deal in place with Ware. It is not going to shock me at all if Ware comes out of retirement sometime between week 8 and 12 to add some pass rush help down the stretch. No camp or grind of a long season makes sense for both of them.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I was shocked but not surprised. The guy took hellacious beatings and played through a lot of big injuries. That stuff takes a toll on you. The man has kids he wanted to be able to play with for the foreseeable future.

So you think it was quality of life? No doubt he would have played another 3 years with the Cowboys had they let him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Health, family, and life after football. I think his wife and young children were a huge factor in his decision. And being chosen to step in on CBS' top announce team is a huge opportunity for anybody.

How are you disappointed?

I would have liked to see him try to win one. Being saddled here in Dallas with Jerry Jones bumbling the GM job most of his career and then Wade and Garrett blowing the rest it is a shame. I would have been curious to see what he could have done with a team like Denver or possibly Houston.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think if Romo had no family, especially no kids, he would probably still be playing, albeit for someone else of course. I think most people though in his situation with having a wife, young kids and an incredible, possibly once in a lifetime post-football job offer, would find that too good to pass up.

I know from my own experience when you have been doing something for so long, and you actually start thinking about life afterwards, I mean REALLY envisioning it, what you've been doing starts losing its grasp on you a little. It's not that you lose interest in what you've been doing, but rather you just start to think, "I've had a lot of great times and experiences doing this for so long, maybe it's time to see what else is out there."
Yes sir, I just retired from coaching after 30 years. I know exactly what you are saying. Not easy to move on.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would have liked to see him try to win one. Being saddled here in Dallas with Jerry Jones bumbling the GM job most of his career and then Wade and Garrett blowing the rest it is a shame. I would have been curious to see what he could have done with a team like Denver or possibly Houston.

I can see that, but if they don't show the necessary interest it's out of his control.

I also wish he could have won a championship in Dallas, but it wasn't in the cards.

DCowboyz

Reaction score
I'm sure he didn't want to retire. The situation which happened and his family made the decision a lot easier.

EST_1986

Reaction score
So you think it was quality of life? No doubt he would have played another 3 years with the Cowboys had they let him.
I think it was a combination of how last season went down and quality of life, no doubt if Dak doesn't play like he did that Romo would have taken back over last year and continued for as long as he could

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was a function of the job available. If a championship caliber team had real interest to give him two more years, I think he'd probably have taken it. Tepid interest with the CBS #1 team offer inhis pocket and a third baby on the way? He probably made the right call.

The Texans blew their shot at a title run. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Cowboys fans being "disappointed" in Tony Romo? Lol, right. That's par for the course.

dogberry

Reaction score
Replay of Green Bay and Favre, only management wants the the old qb well and truly buried. No opportunity to win the job in spring training, no return of Banquo's ghost.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was more shocked when Roger retired. I can admit I cried that day.

1f7d2aa9518405b9d353aca9b57d6d29.jpg

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I can see that, but if they don't show the necessary interest it's out of his control.

I also wish he could have won a championship in Dallas, but it wasn't in the cards.

You are making an assumption that no one was interested. I find that very had to believe. Elway admitted recently that they were interested. We know Houston was interested. I think they were waiting for him to be released. Instead he just up and retired. If it was family and quality of life related, then I have to tip my hat to him. But personally, I thought he was too competitive for that. Too much ego. Didnt think he could turn the other cheek.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It was a function of the job available. If a championship caliber team had real interest to give him two more years, I think he'd probably have taken it. Tepid interest with the CBS #1 team offer inhis pocket and a third baby on the way? He probably made the right call.

The Texans blew their shot at a title run. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Cowboys fans being "disappointed" in Tony Romo? Lol, right. That's par for the course.

Romo was amazing, but Dak was better and the future was here. Other than that, Romo got screwed by poor management and poor coaching. No disappointment in him directly for the time he was here. In fact, my disappointment is a product of me wanting to see him succeed. Getting out of Dallas was his only hope. Dak wont win any SB's either unless things continue to change.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are making an assumption that no one was interested. I find that very had to believe. Elway admitted recently that they were interested. We know Houston was interested. I think they were waiting for him to be released.

If that was their level of "interest", I'm glad he retired. That would be insulting. If either or both had strong interest and tried to get cute waiting for a release, I hope both end up with egg on their faces.

Instead he just up and retired. If it was family and quality of life related, then I have to tip my hat to him. But personally, I thought he was too competitive for that. Too much ego. Didnt think he could turn the other cheek.

Tip your hat then. I never saw "ego", but a competitive spirit and desire to win a championship. He made a smart decision for himself, his family, and his future. Super Bowl or not, Tony Romo will have a good life.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If that was their level of "interest", I'm glad he retired. That would be insulting. If either or both had strong interest and tried to get cute waiting for a release, I hope both end up with egg on their faces.

Tip your hat then. I never saw "ego", but a competitive spirit and desire to win a championship. He made a smart decision for himself, his family, and his future. Super Bowl or not, Tony Romo will have a good life.

Cant argue with much there. Romo was glass. Any hit could have put him down. Tip of the hat indeed. Dak came at the perfect time. Now he can take over Romos old job of saving Garretts career.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cant argue with much there. Romo was glass. Any hit could have put him down. Tip of the hat indeed.

The guy gave everything he had, he has a fine place in Cowboys lore, Super Bowl or not.

Dak came at the perfect time. Now he can take over Romos old job of saving Garretts career.

Dak did come at the perfect time. We'd be in tough shape if he hadn't.