Who was shocked that Romo retired?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The guy gave everything he had, he has a fine place in Cowboys lore, Super Bowl or not.

Dak did come at the perfect time. We'd be in tough shape if he hadn't.

I put Romo 3rd behind Stauback and Aikman.

NotForLong

Reaction score
I for one thought his competitive spirit would drive him to continue to play and try to win a championship. Were there other factors that made him quite other than the booth job?

Personally, I am disappointed in him. Does his decision give an indication as to why he just didnt have the IT factor in his career?

How can you be disappointed in him.

This team abandoned him 1st, in favor of a rookie. I am confused. What did you want him to do exactly. They spent 5 years building this team for him for that moment. Then they didnt go with him. For what?

A rookie playin lights out with a very watered down playbook , what the rookie couldnt sit, why? wheres he going.

Was Romo "Rusty". Absolutely not. He looked amazing in limited time he played. Oh by the way for those of you with Amnesia. The " 2ND". WIDEOUT. Actually got some accurate passes thrown his way.

Because It was Romo playin with the team that was built for him. But no an inexperienced was the better option.

Now your mad because he doesnt want to play for another team. And your questioning his man hood.

I know alot of you here when refering to the Cowboys use the pronoun "US". But in reality He was he "Cowboys "

Garrets decisions broke his heart
For Us it would be comparable to "WATCHING" the Cowboys lose a Super Bowl.

For him it was his life. And many jerks on this board abandoned him just the same as Garret if not more so. Everyone was caught up in the Kool Aid. Everyone was worried about the future and forgot about the NOW.

The Cowboys built it for Romo it was his moment and it was ripped away from him. For what by some incompetant coach who is too smart for his own good

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The guy gave everything he had, he has a fine place in Cowboys lore, Super Bowl or not.

Dak did come at the perfect time. We'd be in tough shape if he hadn't.

What do you think our record would be if we didnt have either Dak or Romo going forward? Jerry probably would have reached for a rookie in the first round and signed RG3? LOL

8-8? 4-12?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

This team abandoned him 1st, in favor of a rookie. I am confused. What did you want him to do exactly. They spent 5 years building this team for him for that moment. Then they didnt go with him. For what?

A rookie playin lights out with a very watered down playbook , what the rookie couldnt sit, why? wheres he going.

Was Romo "Rusty". Absolutely not. He looked amazing in limited time he played. Oh by the way for those of you with Amnesia. The " 2ND". WIDEOUT. Actually got some accurate passes thrown his way.

Because It was Romo playin with the team that was built for him. But no an inexperienced was the better option.

Now your mad because he doesnt want to play for another team. And your questioning his man hood.

I know alot of you here when refering to the Cowboys use the pronoun "US". But in reality He was he "Cowboys "

For him it was his life. And many jerks on this board abandoned him just the same as Garret if not more so. Everyone was caught up in the Kool Aid. Everyone was worried about the future and forgot about the NOW.

The Cowboys built it for Romo it was his moment and it was ripped away from him. For what by some incompetant coach who is too smart for his own good

There was a small part of me that wanted to see the Cowboys look stupid by Romo succeeding elsewhere. And I would have loved to see Romo finally get his due by winning one.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Romo was amazing, but Dak was better and the future was here. Other than that, Romo got screwed by poor management and poor coaching. No disappointment in him directly for the time he was here. In fact, my disappointment is a product of me wanting to see him succeed. Getting out of Dallas was his only hope. Dak wont win any SB's either unless things continue to change.
BUT DAK WAS BETTER.

Maybe in 8 years maybe he could be considered better. But at no time can Dak be considered better then Romo last year.

Romo with that team last year would of had ba season for the ages

The Coaches were weak and caved in to popular opinion

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Romo was toast buddy. And Garrett lobbying to stick with Dak was one of the best decisions he has ever made. An obvious one from where I was standing, but a change from the bumbling coaching decisions he has made in his career.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What do you think our record would be if we didnt have either Dak or Romo going forward? Jerry probably would have reached for a rookie in the first round and signed RG3? LOL

8-8? 4-12?

I'd say 4-12, yeah. That's been proven fact. Then again, most teams would tank if they lost their starting QB (other than New England).

NotForLong

Reaction score
Cant argue with much there. Romo was glass. Any hit could have put him down. Tip of the hat indeed. Dak came at the perfect time. Now he can take over Romos old job of saving Garretts career.
Almost all his injuiries were freak plays

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
BUT DAK WAS BETTER.

Maybe in 8 years maybe he could be considered better. But at no time can Dak be considered better then Romo last year.

Im not going to get in an argument with Romo apologist from last year. It all played out and you Romo cry babies were proven dead wrong. I dont expect you to admit it. Lets move on.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BUT DAK WAS BETTER.

A nice opinion, but an unproveable hypothesis.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Romo was toast buddy. And Garrett lobbying to stick with Dak was one of the best decisions he has ever made. An obvious one from where I was standing, but a change from the bumbling coaching decisions he has made in his career.
At what point was Romo "TOAST"

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'd say 4-12, yeah. That's been proven fact. Then again, most teams would tank if they lost their starting QB (other than New England).

That sounds about right to me. A team with a head coach like Garrett and a defense like ours would tank.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Im not going to get in an argument with Romo apologist from last year. It all played out and you Romo cry babies were proven dead wrong. I dont expect you to admit it. Lets move on.
All those labels are bogus. So dont put them on me. Proven wrong about what.

Romo is better then Dak. Even now Period.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That sounds about right to me. A team with a head coach like Garrett and a defense like ours would tank.

I just hope they're not being careless with the position again because Prescott bailed them out. While he's younger and built sturdier, you're still one play away from having to go out there with Kellen Moore under center.

And then scrambling to try to 'fix things'.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
All those labels are bogus. So dont put them on me. Proven wrong about what.

Romo is better then Dak. Even now Period.

You are entitled to your opinion while Romo rides the booth and Dak is coming off Rookie of the year and one of the best rookie QB seasons in NFL history.

But Romo will be calling the game tonight. I am sure they will ask him all about why he retired. Enjoy.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I just hope they're not being careless with the position again because Prescott bailed them out. While he's younger and built sturdier, you're still one play away from having to go out there with Kellen Moore under center.

And then scrambling to try to 'fix things'.

They are making the same dumb QB mistakes they made with Romo. Unless their philosophy is all or nothing. Boom or tank.

jday

Reaction score
I for one thought his competitive spirit would drive him to continue to play and try to win a championship. Were there other factors that made him quite other than the booth job?

Personally, I am disappointed in him. Does his decision give an indication as to why he just didnt have the IT factor in his career?
Early last year, I was talking to my wife and had a guess as to what happened:

Romo is married with 2 kids. You have to think his wife was constantly on him about retiring, in consideration of all the injuries he was stacking up and how that may impact his quality of life as he got older. I further imagined that Romo's constant argument is that he couldn't leave the Jones's high and dry without a viable replacement. In steps Dak and completely tears up that excuse. From that moment forward, his wife became a broken record and simply would not let it go. In steps NBC with a shiny new job offer. At this point, Romo had no more ammunition to fight off his wife and decided to cave under that pressure.

Keep in mind, this is just a guess. But after what Dak did in preseason last year, I had a feeling that was the end for Romo. So, to answer your question, I wasn't surprised.