Who WIll Be The Better Coach This Year - Jay Gruden or Red?

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I was listening to 105.3 yesterday afternoon. They had a round table - sort of.

I think it might have been Newy Scruggs that said Garrett will cost you two games a year by his coaching mistakes.

Now get past that shot for a moment and just think on the premise. Don't dismiss it because Scruggs is a media guy, or that you are a Dallas fan.

Just look at the premise as if you have no stake in this.

If this is wrong, so be it, another blatant comment by the press to shock. But that wasn't how he delivered it in the context of the discussion.

So what if it is true?

Does that mean the last three years this has been a play-off team and the HC screwed it up?

Now add one more piece to this puzzle. Scruggs asked why Garrett is being viewed in a different way as Phillips as far as the team success goes.

Like I say this could mean nothing. But just as a think piece it holds a great deal of fodder for thought. What if this guy is why the team ultimately didn't make the play-offs. With a poor defense and an offense that thrives but is playing off their back foot because of the defense.

What if the reason was just Garrett not being a good enough strategist to get the job done?

Wouldn't you want you head coach to be the guy who squeaks out an extra two wins because of cunning? Absolutely.

And while it will come as no surprise to some, I agree here. I think Boy Genius is in over his head. Stoic in this regard is simply sitting in the back seat of the narcissist in charge. That doesn't make it clever, or shrewd.

And when running the ball over 20 times produces wins for this team, and going back to the Green Bay game and see Dallas had a huge lead and Garrett ran Murray 18 times, I have to agree.

Opie just might not have the snap to be the main man in charge.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
The biggest thing has going for him is the 2013 Shanahan-Griffin induced meltdown (along with one of the worst special teams performances in NFL history)

The team has enough talent to be a 7-9 win team. I think Gruden gets to the low end at worst, thus making him "appear" to be a good coach.

I don't think you can be sold on the quality of an NFL head coach for at least 3 years

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was listening to 105.3 yesterday afternoon. They had a round table - sort of.

I think it might have been Newy Scruggs that said Garrett will cost you two games a year by his coaching mistakes.

Now get past that shot for a moment and just think on the premise. Don't dismiss it because Scruggs is a media guy, or that you are a Dallas fan.

Just look at the premise as if you have no stake in this.

If this is wrong, so be it, another blatant comment by the press to shock. But that wasn't how he delivered it in the context of the discussion.

So what if it is true?

Does that mean the last three years this has been a play-off team and the HC screwed it up?

Now add one more piece to this puzzle. Scruggs asked why Garrett is being viewed in a different way as Phillips as far as the team success goes.

Like I say this could mean nothing. But just as a think piece it holds a great deal of fodder for thought. What if this guy is why the team ultimately didn't make the play-offs. With a poor defense and an offense that thrives but is playing off their back foot because of the defense.

What if the reason was just Garrett not being a good enough strategist to get the job done?

Wouldn't you want you head coach to be the guy who squeaks out an extra two wins because of cunning? Absolutely.

And while it will come as no surprise to some, I agree here. I think Boy Genius is in over his head. Stoic in this regard is simply sitting in the back seat of the narcissist in charge. That doesn't make it clever, or shrewd.

And when running the ball over 20 times produces wins for this team, and going back to the Green Bay game and see Dallas had a huge lead and Garrett ran Murray 18 times, I have to agree.

Opie just might not have the snap to be the main man in charge.

One, it's just not true, no matter who says it. And, two, that's not the way it works. Coaches contribute to losses. They sometimes make mistakes that are significant enough to lose games. But, by and large, they assemble staffs and contribute to the assembly of teams and teach fundamentals and focus each position group and design and implement game plans and a dozen other things that influence the outcomes of games and seasons. They don't really win games through game day cunning. They're not even solely deciding what happens on gameday. That's all a combination of staff and players.

People like to think it works differently so that they can concentrate the blame on game day. But the reality is that a HC is a lot more thoroughly integrated into the team, and do a lot more than just call plays during the games.

Also, we're talking about Newy Scrugs here. Newy Scrugs.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
One, it's just not true, no matter who says it. And, two, that's not the way it works. Coaches contribute to losses. They sometimes make mistakes that are significant enough to lose games. But, by and large, they assemble staffs and contribute to the assembly of teams and teach fundamentals and focus each position group and design and implement game plans and a dozen other things that influence the outcomes of games and seasons. They don't really win games through game day cunning. They're not even solely deciding what happens on gameday. That's all a combination of staff and players.

People like to think it works differently so that they can concentrate the blame on game day. But the reality is that a HC is a lot more thoroughly integrated into the team, and do a lot more than just call plays during the games.

Also, we're talking about Newy Scrugs here. Newy Scrugs.
's decisikon
I disagree with your entire premise. I believe on e person can affect and does alter an outcome.

One point that was made was the GB game where they did not run. It was then expressed Romo could have been calling an audible and changing the play.

The head coach has the option to take the tag off the play and run it as it is called i9n from the sidelines.

So the ultimate fault lies with the guy responsible for everything on game day.

I notice you tossed the messenger under the bus/ Does that now make your contention right?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
's decisikon
I disagree with your entire premise. I believe on e person can affect and does alter an outcome.

One point that was made was the GB game where they did not run. It was then expressed Romo could have been calling an audible and changing the play.

The head coach has the option to take the tag off the play and run it as it is called i9n from the sidelines.

So the ultimate fault lies with the guy responsible for everything on game day.

I notice you tossed the messenger under the bus/ Does that now make your contention right?

It doesn't make me right. But Newy's not a messenger in this case. It's he's own message he's delivering. So he should own it.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
It doesn't make me right. But Newy's not a messenger in this case. It's he's own message he's delivering. So he should own it.

It was pretty much the contention of all the journalist there.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was pretty much the contention of all the journalist there.

Ok. Still, it's their message. They're entitled to their opinions, but not to protection from the blowback for their opinions. If they're going to say something critical publicly, they'd better be accurate and right or they'll get merited criticism themselves.

In this case, as in so many others, I'd say Newy was neither accurate nor right.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Man if the Skins have a better record than we do in Gruden's first season on the job.............when Garrett is entering year 4 and is still looking to break 500.

Wonder what the posters that keep saying it takes multiple seasons to put a program in place and its too early to judge Garrett are going to say?

It wont matter
"You dont remember, they won the division in 2012. Gruden really didnt accomplish anything. If you cant see that you're blind"