Who will play LT if Smith misses time during regular season

Buzzbait

Reaction score
We need to sign some Vet depth!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope so. I don't want to see Tyler Smith moving to LT, he belongs at LG. I've been hoping for some time we'd acquire a quality LT but they keep ignoring it. Tyron can't be depended on for a whole season. I hope they're not depending on Tyler Smith to replace our LT when he goes down this year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Tyler Smith may end up having to play LT if Tyron misses significant time during the season. The Cowboys have hopes for him being their future LT.

That's why you play Tyler at LT if Tyron can't go. That's his future. I'd rather keep his LT skills going and sacrifice some practice time at LG.

Should have done that with Williams too.

But if Williams is any indication, that's what they are certain *not* to do.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Tyron Smith feels the slightest twinge in his back and so he is held out of an OTA practice. Media and fans react by freaking out. :rolleyes:

Blackrain

Reaction score
Tyron Smith feels the slightest twinge in his back and so he is held out of an OTA practice. Media and fans react by freaking out. :rolleyes:
Probably because of the amount of time he has missed over the last several years.

Possibly because we have had an Apple out of that bag in Tony Romo.

Concern over Tyron's continuing health problems is not overblown or unfounded it is a reality that should have been dealt with years ago when it started to become a problem.

But like with Romo we will ignore this and pay the price as this is one of the most important positions on the team.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Probably because of the amount of time he has missed over the last several years.

Possibly because we have had an Apple out of that bag in Tony Romo.

Concern over Tyron's continuing health problems is not overblown or unfounded it is a reality that should have been dealt with years ago when it started to become a problem.

But like with Romo we will ignore this and pay the price as this is one of the most important positions on the team.
Thank you chicken little for helping stir up the panic with the masses. :rolleyes:

Blackrain

Reaction score
Thank you chicken little for helping stir up the panic with the masses. :rolleyes:
I've stired up nothing fans already know the writing is on the wall and have been concerned about this for quite a while.

Jerry and Steven are the only ones that walk around with blinders on thinking there's a lot of tread left on the tires.

They will ride this guy till he looks like the horse that Scarlett O'Hara rode into town in gone with the wind

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
There is no answer to this question at the time. There probably won’t be one till after training camp and the final roster is set.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I've stired up nothing fans already know the writing is on the wall and have been concerned about this for quite a while.

Jerry and Steven are the only ones that walk around with blinders on thinking there's a lot of tread left on the tires.

They will ride this guy till he looks like the horse that Scarlett O'Hara rode into town in gone with the wind
Also thank you for putting your utter ignorance on full display for the world to see.

Blackrain

Reaction score
There is no answer to this question at the time. There probably won’t be one till after training camp and the final roster is set.
The answer to this question should have been addressed in free agency.

Expecting a rookie with a reputation for holding to take over arguably one of the three most important positions on the squad is kind of a stretch

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
The answer to this question should have been addressed in free agency.

Expecting a rookie with a reputation for holding to take over arguably one of the three most important positions on the squad is kind of a stretch
There’s still a good chance a vet will be brought in.

Blackrain

Reaction score
There’s still a good chance a vet will be brought in.
I hope so it would be frustrating to see Tyrone go down and us have no viable backup plan.
Our division rival the eagles have turned up the heat with The addition of Davis on their defensive line so solid o line play is really going to be key to win our division

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score

giphy.gif

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Hope so. I don't want to see Tyler Smith moving to LT, he belongs at LG. I've been hoping for some time we'd acquire a quality LT but they keep ignoring it. Tyron can't be depended on for a whole season. I hope they're not depending on Tyler Smith to replace our LT when he goes down this year.
You and me both!!!!!

GMO415

Reaction score
Correction OP it's not "if" it's "when" T Smith misses several games. Dude's back tightened up putting on his morning slippers.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Started a thread a couple of days ago on the idea of moving T. Smith to LG and having 1st round rookie Tyler Smith start day 1.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/what-do-you-think-of-moving-tyron-smith-to-left-guard.496906/

I was severely roasted by so many here that I had to take time away from this forum to let my feelings heal. It was brutal.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...back-tightness-newly-signed-wr-in-ankle-boot/

But just saw the news above that Smith is in a walking boot and experiencing tightness in his back at OTAs. Most likely this is just precautionary.

But what's the plan for oline if Smith misses games during the regular season?

Move Steele from RT to LT and Ball at RT?

That sounds more risky to me than having Tyler at LT and #77 at LG day 1.

What's the plan when Smith misses games?

It was a dumb idea then and it's a dumb idea now.

Playing Tyron at LG does not improve his chances of staying healthy.

Playing Tyler Smith at LT vs LG to start the season does not improve the situation.

They need to put rookies where they'll have the most success and that it LG for Tyler Smith.

They can give Tyler Smith practice reps at LT if he is an option to move to LT.

They would need a swing Tackle even if Tyler Smith played LT on day 1.
- If nobody emerges as a swing Tackle, then they've find a veteran even if they have to trade a late round pick to get one.