Who will play LT if Smith misses time during regular season

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BTW, Whispers have it that (Bobby Belt, Broaddus ?) that the Cowboys staff don't seem to be pleased with Josh Ball right now.
Hope this is not accurate or it improves significantly Stay tuned.
A broken (analog) clock is correct twice per day which is similar to when Broaddus is correct.

Not specific to Josh Ball, but every year Broaddus reports about players in the off-season which peaks in the couple of weeks of training camp before the 1st preseason game.
- Once we actually see the player in the preseason games, Broaddus reports are more often than not wrong.

In 2014 he reported that Darrion Weems looked terrific and that Jermey was struggling in the off-season and beginning of camp.

In reality, Parnell ended up starting 7 games, including 2 playoff games and allowed a total of 1 sack and was a dominant run blocker.
  • Within 1 year from the start of that training camp:
    • Parnell: Signed a 32M contract with another team.
    • Weems: Cut. (He was active a total 1 game with the Cowboys over all years he was with the team).

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the season were tomorrow ? I'd guess Matt Waletzko and Aviante Collins.
The camps and preseason means everything with development and preparation.

Another guess is Cowboys looking at the young bucks before scrambling to see what vet street FAs available at some
time this summer.

BTW, Whispers have it that (Bobby Belt, Broaddus ?) that the Cowboys staff don't seem to be pleased with Josh Ball right now.
Hope this is not accurate or it improves significantly Stay tuned.

I'm curious to see Aviante Collins.
- They kept on on the practice squad all of last season.
- He has been hanging around the NFL for 3 or 4 years.
- He started a game with the Vikings at one point.
- He had the 3rd fastest forty of any OL, ever.
- He was undersized when he came out of college (6-4, 295) but he had 34 reps on the bench.

Jermey Parnell came into the league at 6-6, 270.
- It was not until his 4th season that he became the Swing Tackle.
- He ended up at 6-6, 326 and far more powerful than doofus Doug Free.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Started a thread a couple of days ago on the idea of moving T. Smith to LG and having 1st round rookie Tyler Smith start day 1.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/what-do-you-think-of-moving-tyron-smith-to-left-guard.496906/

I was severely roasted by so many here that I had to take time away from this forum to let my feelings heal. It was brutal.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...back-tightness-newly-signed-wr-in-ankle-boot/

But just saw the news above that Smith is in a walking boot and experiencing tightness in his back at OTAs. Most likely this is just precautionary.

But what's the plan for oline if Smith misses games during the regular season?

Move Steele from RT to LT and Ball at RT?

That sounds more risky to me than having Tyler at LT and #77 at LG day 1.

What's the plan when Smith misses games?
It was the WR Washington in the walking boot. They even posted pics of him. How did you screw that up?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Where is the thread where a few posters were trying claim Smith is healthy now after his surgery and won’t miss games. Good times…good times :lmao2:
It's OTAs dude.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Steele was better at LT than any veteran backup Swing Tackle that they had since 2014.

Steele is definitely better when he plays RT than LT, but he improved with each start that he had a LT.
That's good to hear, but if he's playing left tackle who's playing right tackle?
We need more players.

Tussinman

Reaction score
I blame the front office for this more then Tyron.

Tyron has started 150 games in the NFL and made the all-decade team. He's held up his end of the bargain.

It's been 4 year since Tyron had a 3 season stretch of missing at least 3 games (2016-2018).

4 years and the cowboys haven't done squat to address LT depth. Signing some washed up veteran for cheap 1 year deals and working on 4th rounder projects like Ball isn't really addressing the issue.

This is arguably the 2nd most valueable position in the entire sport, a little urgency would be nice.

Rayman70

Reaction score
It's very early, but I hear Walesko is improving and is in line to be the swing tackle. He has already shown progress in camp. Ball may be on his way out. He looks small and has been getting manhandled.

75boyz

Reaction score
I blame the front office for this more then Tyron.

Tyron has started 150 games in the NFL and made the all-decade team. He's held up his end of the bargain.

It's been 4 year since Tyron had a 3 season stretch of missing at least 3 games (2016-2018).

4 years and the cowboys haven't done squat to address LT depth. Signing some washed up veteran for cheap 1 year deals and working on 4th rounder projects like Ball isn't really addressing the issue.

This is arguably the 2nd most valueable position in the entire sport, a little urgency would be nice.

Uh....yeah.
Like every word of this.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I prefer to at least wait until pads come one before I assume half our players can’t play. But I do agree with you 100% on the need to find a solid swing tackle, but I’m not ready to say he isn’t already on the roster in May. If we are willing to pay the price we can always find one if we need to. But this teams idea of a free agent veteran tackle is the vet minimum and a bunch of years in a row now we got what we paid for at the position. Crap.
Agreed, but there will be experienced vets on the street later when teams are comfortable with their new linemen. Finding a backup won’t be hard if needed.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Agreed, but there will be experienced vets on the street later when teams are comfortable with their new linemen. Finding a backup won’t be hard if needed.
Agree 100%. But I'd be shocked if we picked one that wasn't a vet minimum, over the hill type who will be forced into action and play like crap based on what we have done for years now

Blackrain

Reaction score
Ignorance in your case is being oblivious to how ridiculous you sound.
Okay internet tough guy I'll be ignorant ridiculous and oblivious.

But I won't be in denial about the reoccurring problems that left tackle that need to be addressed.

CWR

Reaction score
I'm curious to see Aviante Collins.
- They kept on on the practice squad all of last season.
- He has been hanging around the NFL for 3 or 4 years.
- He started a game with the Vikings at one point.
- He had the 3rd fastest forty of any OL, ever.
- He was undersized when he came out of college (6-4, 295) but he had 34 reps on the bench.

Jermey Parnell came into the league at 6-6, 270.
- It was not until his 4th season that he became the Swing Tackle.
- He ended up at 6-6, 326 and far more powerful than doofus Doug Free.

Lol, I remember how much you loved you some Parnell.