Who would be happy or upset if Trey Lance lights it up in pre-season?

visionary

Reaction score
Trey Lance lights it up in OTAs and pre-season. Outplays Dak and takes the starting job. Gets us to the NFCCG.
Who would be happy and who would be upset?

I'm sure a bunch of Dak fans will say its not possible, that's not the question,
Dak will already have a new deal by then

His agent knows how to fleece the Joneses

Kwyn

Reaction score
Trey Lance lights it up in OTAs and pre-season. Outplays Dak and takes the starting job. Gets us to the NFCCG.

I'm sure a bunch of Dak fans will say its not possible, that's not the question,
Umm, is this a trick question?

Motorola

Reaction score

Lance can 'iight it up' as you stated in OTAs and preseason.
He still can't outplay Prescott because QB#4 will not see any preseason game action (ala 2022 and 2023)...so Lance has no chance to supplant Prescott (unless No.4 suffers a significant offseason injury).
Lance is a project QB that perhaps may move up and supplant Rush as the No.2. over the summer of '24.

Retro88

Reaction score
Wouldn't be upset and neither would anyone else but this hypothetical is kind of silly. Dak is coming off an All Pro year. Even if Lance were to light it up as you said...they're not gonna give him the job. Playing well in OTAs/Preseason is nowhere close to games when wins & losses count. There's no scenario, barring a major Dak injury, where he's getting that job out of preseason.

More interesting question is who's mad if Parsons has a 18 sack campaign while winning the DPOY but he still stays on twitter/podcasts?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

extremely happy. I would be extremely concerned if he doesn't. it would mean it was a wasted trade. it probably will seal his fate that he won't be around in 225 given he has 25M cap hit. so for his sake, for cowboys sake, he better light it up.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Most people here who fervently root for Dak only do so because he’s the starting QB for the Cowboys. Once he’s not, then they’ll change… most of them.

I remember a specific poster here who I used to argue with about Amari Cooper. How he wasn’t worth what Dallas was paying him and he was good but limited. The poster would blow up at the very notion he wasn’t a top tier WR in the league. Then once he got traded to Cleveland, that same poster started using the exact same arguments I did in explaining how it was a good idea you dropped him.

The moment Dak is downgraded, they’ll turn on him.
Trading Cooper for peanuts and moving that money to an injured Gallup was beyond stupid.

The key is not figuring out what players are not good at to then just complain about. Then get the next guy that has his own different strengths and weakness.

A good coach figures how to take advantage of your strengths and avoids asking you to do things you are not good at. This does not mean you don't try to work on and improve in those areas, but good coaches put their players in successful situations.

Last edited:

leeblair

Reaction score

Happy, of course.
Happy from day one because Dak being benched means the Cowboys instantly become a better team, just like they did with Cooper Rush.
Put a real quarterback in the Cowboys offense and they instantly change their identity from pretenders to contenders.
Assuming Trey Lance is a qualified candidate.
Cooper Rush showed that he was/is.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Happy, of course.
Happy from day one because Dak being benched means the Cowboys instantly become a better team, just like they did with Cooper Rush.
Put a real quarterback in the Cowboys offense and they instantly change their identity from pretenders to contenders.
Assuming Trey Lance is a qualified candidate.
Cooper Rush showed that he was/is.
No. That is not what it means. It means we will have a top 5 pick the following year.

Chasing6

Reaction score
With Cooper Rush the Cowboys were 5-1.
That kind of winning doesn't get you a top 5 pick.
Rush threw for 8,000+ yards in HS. Trey threw for 800.

I hope some of you don't have the ability to hire people at work. Look at their work experience it speaks volumes.

Looking at where the Niners screwed up and drafted him has nothing to do with his ability to play QB. The clearly recognized the mistake and punted.

Just look at Trey Lance HS/College stats. Compare them to Purdy, Rush or even Grier
For that matter.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Only reason Lance beats out Rush is because Jeruh is embarrassed to admit he made a mistake and he is guaranteed $5M next year.

diamonddelts

Reaction score

Jerry loves fans like you. Carry on.