Who would be happy or upset if Trey Lance lights it up in pre-season?

offlimits

Reaction score
Trey Lance lights it up in OTAs and pre-season. Outplays Dak and takes the starting job. Gets us to the NFCCG.
Who would be happy and who would be upset?

I'm sure a bunch of Dak fans will say its not possible, that's not the question,
It's preseason... means nothing.

plymkr

Reaction score
I would be extremely happy if he lights it up in the preseason. I would pumped. For 2 reasons, one it puts heat on Dak and it would also give us confidence if Dak gets hurt we got a good backup . 2nd reason is I’m always happy when a Cowboys player of any position lights it up.

I really wish we could have preseason before we extend Dak but I know that’s impossible.

Big D

Reaction score
The only people who would be upset are the 12% who voted for Dak in the last poll.
I voted for Dak in that poll and I think if that were to happen it would be a dream scenario for the cowboys. Who could be mad at a young qb stepping up and playing well?

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Rush threw for 8,000+ yards in HS. Trey threw for 800.

I hope some of you don't have the ability to hire people at work. Look at their work experience it speaks volumes.

Looking at where the Niners screwed up and drafted him has nothing to do with his ability to play QB. The clearly recognized the mistake and punted.

Just look at Trey Lance HS/College stats. Compare them to Purdy, Rush or even Grier
For that matter.
Our HS QB was all state and started in college at a div III school. He threw for a lot of yards and TDs, so he's probably better than Lance too.

I'll give him a call.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Trey Lance has a long way to go to be a quality NFL Starter. He was not got enough to beat out the well traveled Sam Darnold for the backup in SF. The 49ers knew they had a playoff caliber team this year and they certainly were going to keep the best number 2 QB on their roster. He has not displaced Cooper Rush as the number 2 in Dallas. Even with Rush banged up a bit in final game Lance was still the emergency QB behind Cooper. IMO looking for big things from Trey Lance in 2024 is just a pipe dream.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trey Lance lights it up in OTAs and pre-season. Outplays Dak and takes the starting job. Gets us to the NFCCG.

I'm sure a bunch of Dak fans will say its not possible, that's not the question,
Will not happen.

Dak will not see any PS games playing time to get out played.

It is more like Trey will need to out play Cooper for game day back up vs. inactive emergency QB.
Which he should do.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trey Lance has a long way to go to be a quality NFL Starter. He was not got enough to beat out the well traveled Sam Darnold for the backup in SF. The 49ers knew they had a playoff caliber team this year and they certainly were going to keep the best number 2 QB on their roster. He has not displaced Cooper Rush as the number 2 in Dallas. Even with Rush banged up a bit in final game Lance was still the emergency QB behind Cooper. IMO looking for big things from Trey Lance in 2024 is just a pipe dream.
Or SF was just trying to avoid a 3 QB controversy. :laugh:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's possible and I'll root for whoever is starting......some may think that I'm a Dak lover, I see his flaws, I just choose not to insult him....that said, if he gets beat out or cut, I'll support the next man up. That's the way it should be...at least in my eyes.
A TRUE fan thinks like this. :popcorn:
Instead we get hate on our players. And 50 threads a day about it. If / when (98% it happens) he gets an extension ... wow imagine this place.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You did exactly what I predicted in my post "It's not going to happen"

Which of course wasn't the question.

If it did and you were wrong about Dak and Lance, would you be happy anyway.

Lol..I know you don't have the nads to answer.
I know I, for one, appreciate your effort to stick to the topic. Well done! :clap:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's possible and I'll root for whoever is starting......some may think that I'm a Dak lover, I see his flaws, I just choose not to insult him....that said, if he gets beat out or cut, I'll support the next man up. That's the way it should be...at least in my eyes.
Hmmm...discussing his flaws....is an insult?

Yet insulting forum members would seem to be okay?

At any rate, shouldn't we support ANYONE wearing the star? I think that's possible, without "insulting" other players wearing it.

Some people feel our owner often waits way too long for "next man up".

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like last year when Cooper got a ton of hate, often from the same people who fiercely defend Dak.
Same thing applies. Those should support Cooper.
Oh, and do not take it literally about the true fan. One can be a true fan, as they spew the "dislike" for a player. But should support them for wins. As that is the ultimate goal....win games....

My comments was more for the ones that root for losses and can post nothing but negativity toward that player. As in, they can't discuss football in general.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

The only way Lance gets a chance to play is if Dak gets hurt. MM is a lame duck coach, he is not going to bench a second team All-Pro quarterback for a draft bust.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Same thing applies. Those should support Cooper.
Oh, and do not take it literally about the true fan. One can be a true fan, as they spew the "dislike" for a player. But should support them for wins. As that is the ultimate goal....win games....

My comments was more for the ones that root for losses and can post nothing but negativity toward that player. As in, they can't discuss football in general.
I hear you loud and clear.

Not sure why cooper sticks in my brain. Tank the season and noodle arm...just blew my mind ....while winning games.

The name people use for MM also bothers me a liitle bit. I know ut can somwtimes be an...affectionate name, maybe. But usually it comes with another insult.

With fans like these who needs eagles?:laugh:

Blackrain

Reaction score

I for one would be freaking elated if anyone could overcome Jerry and our culture and get us to an NFC championship game or super bowl.
That said it's a monumental task to convert all the players from money makers into risk takers that will buy in and want to win that silver trophy over making the most amount of money like their owner has taught them.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Or SF was just trying to avoid a 3 QB controversy. :laugh:
LOL. Oh yeah. Every NFL team fears those backup QB controversies. Gives them so many sleepless nights and day time hand wringing.

When you have what you think is a possible championship type team you keep the best backup possible because those guys often get to play and sometimes play a lot when the starter goes down.

Cmac

Reaction score
Most people here who fervently root for Dak only do so because he’s the starting QB for the Cowboys. Once he’s not, then they’ll change… most of them.

I remember a specific poster here who I used to argue with about Amari Cooper. How he wasn’t worth what Dallas was paying him and he was good but limited. The poster would blow up at the very notion he wasn’t a top tier WR in the league. Then once he got traded to Cleveland, that same poster started using the exact same arguments I did in explaining how it was a good idea you dropped him.

The moment Dak is downgraded, they’ll turn on him.
Seems the issue is always someone's salary since Romo retired. Dak been ripped as the starting QB since his 3rd year. Why wouldn't you root for the starting QB? There was a Cooper Rush Parade campaign once, despite the limitations. Heating up already with Micah on this board. as easily anticipated. CeeDee coming soon with the dismay once he signs the new contract, as "Brad Doodlemeyer" (next Board QB) will not connect with the current target rate or the difference in play for a team without a steady defense, consistent running game, or disciplined team.

To many on here......the extension of our QB is the best move......giving what's out there. Kirk Cousins?...Jimmy G?...Jacoby Brisettt?...Marcus Mariotta?...Minshew?.....oh Tannehill? Tyrod Taylor? Let's try the draft......Pennix? JJ McCarthy? Or go get Josh Allen for a king's ransom now that he's done......again?

Good luck with our GM, as head-scratching moves are the norm and recognition of other impactful flaws go unnoticed.....as Jerry prefers to dump the salary guys for free, draft projects, run from free agency, watch our coaches get out-coached routinely and our Head Coach say we are a "championship team" despite the "eye test".

Board result......find a Fall Guy.