Who would be the 4 members on the Cowboys Mt. Rushmore?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
For as much as Tex Schramm did for the franchise, I'd rather include people who were directly involved in the games.

Tom Landry
Bob Lilly
Roger Staubach
Emmitt Smith

Or, if it's Mount RUSHmore --

Emmitt Smith
Tony Dorsett
Don Perkins
Calvin Hill (until Julius Jones earns it)

On any RUSHmore type list, I think Hershel has to be there somewhere. Not only for what he did on the field but for what he made possible through trade.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Ok then Jerry

That's Mr. Jerry to you.

And anyone that doesn't have Tex on their list is on crack. He did more for the cowboys then anyone. Hell, if there were a "Mt Rushmore" of NFL people (All NFL) then he should be on that list too.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Wow! That's not to shabby Hos. Not at all.

:bow:

It was January 28, 1960, and Clint Murchison and Bedford Wynne were standing at the NFL meetings in Miami Beach, Florida, awaiting the word. When other owners emerged from a room and told Murchison and Wynne that they were now the newest owners of an NFL franchise, no one expected the announcement would help turn the NFL into America's newest pastime and the new expansion team, the Dallas Cowboys, into America's Team. Five Super Bowl titles, seven Hall of Famers, and a litany of legendary players, characters, and games later, the Dallas Cowboys franchise has cemented itself among the most successful in all of sports and, with a fan base that extends all over the world, among the most well known. Legends of the Dallas Cowboys takes an in-depth look at 15 of the legends that have shaped the Cowboys' identity, beginning with Tom Landry, the man who was hired before Murchison had been awarded a team and who is still the franchise's enduring image. Also included is Tex Schramm, under whom the Cowboys had 20 straight winning seasons and who is considered the most forward-thinking NFL executive ever. Contributing to all the winning was a legacy of great quarterbacks: Don Meredith, the original Cowboys quarterback: Roger Staubach, who brought the team its first Super Bowl title; and Troy Aikman, who returned the team to greatness in the 1990s with three Super Bowl wins. Runners such as Emmitt Smith, the all-time rushing king, and Tony Dorsett, number five on that list, carried the Cowboys to victory. Legends of the Dallas Cowboys profiles Randy White and Ed "Too Tall" Jones from the famed "Doomsday Defense," as well as their predecessors, Bob Lilly, Lee Roy Jordan, and Mel Renfro. Also includedare innovators like Bob Hayes, who forced the creation of the zone defense, and Michael Irvin and Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson, who forced the creation of behavioral clauses in contracts. Each of the legends played their own unique role in shaping the lore of one of sports' greatest franchises, a franchise that began humbly on a winter day in Miami and is now a model of success.
Every now and then, my memory works too.

:wink2:

Bedford Wynne is a sidelight in Cowboys history, but the truth is he and Murchison were co-owners to begin operations.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Danny White said:
Tom Landry
Bob Lilly
Emmitt Smith
Roger Staubach

I'll go with those four as well.

That seems to be the concensus of the "older" fans.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
No way I put Schramm on there instead of Bob Lilly, whom I think is probably the best player in team history.

Mine would be:

Tom Landry
Roger Staubach
Bob Lilly
Emmitt Smith

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
George "James Washington"
Abraham "Lincoln Coleman"
"Duane Thomas" Jefferson
??? Roosevelt

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
bbgun said:
"Duane Thomas" Jefferson
??? Roosevelt

"Duane Thomas" Jefferson
"bbgun" Roosevelt

:cool:

:star:

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Coach Landry
Mr. Smith
Mr. Aikman
Mr. Staubach
new 5th spot--the lombardi trophy...(5 sb victorys...5th spot...)

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
bbgun said:
"Duane Thomas" Jefferson
??? Roosevelt

That's good.

TR founded the "Bull Moose" party, which would mean that Daryl "Moose" Johnston would get the fourth slot.

I know it's a stretch, but that's the best I can do.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
1. Emmitt Smith- the best Cowboy of all-time
2. Bob Lilly- Mr. Cowboy
3. Roger Staubach- the best Cowboy quarterback of all-time
4. Tom Landry- you have to have him

to me, it is quite clear and obvious.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
eman721 said:
As much as it pains me to leave off my all-time favorite Cowboy (Emmitt), this has to be the winner.

I totally agree:star:

J-DOG

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
This is the Cowboys here. Our Mt. Rushmore needs to be bigger than a measly 4 spots! We'll call it the Rushmore at Arlington.

1. Tex Schramm
2. Tom Landry
3. Bob Lilly
4. Roger Staubach
5. Emmitt Smith
That's the winner.
The Fab 5.
All player MT. Rushmore...
Lilly
Staubach
Randy White
Emmitt
Troy
I mean think about it a second...what team do you know of that had the likes of a Lilly and Randy White?
Those two guys were amazing players for a long time.
This organization has been blessed with the talent it has had.
All Coaches/GM/Scout Mt. Rushmore
Landry
Schramn
Gil Brandt
Jerry Jones
Jimmy Johnson

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
It should be as grand as the Cowboys achievements. So… 5 Superbowl wins = 5 faces

Clint Murchison – Started it all.

Tex Schramm – The Cowboys/ NFL wouldn’t be what it is today if it weren’t for his innovation

Tom Landry – Greatest coach the Cowboys will EVER have. 29 consecutive yrs as head coach – Can’t have a monument without that hat

Roger Staubach – Best Quarterback/ team leader that this team has ever had

Bob Lilly – “Mr. Cowboy” says it all

And with all due respect… Suggestions of Tom Landry, Tex Schramm and Jerry Jones being on the same monument is sacrilege. Landry would be turning in his grave.

Jones has done a lot for the team (swallows hard with that admission), however, the things he’s done have been with an established Cowboys. Those I listed above were the Architects/ Construction workers of the original foundation to the legend of our great team. Just as those on Rushmore were the foundation for the greatness the United States has become.

When we get our 6th trophy... I'm adding Jay Novacek - A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do for her man