Who would you rather have Demarco Murray or Greg Hardy?

btcutter

Reaction score
Murray wasn't just an RB he was the leagues leading rusher last season and has set 2 franchise records in the 4 years he was with the Cowboys plus he set an NFL record last season. What he produced last season for the Cowboys and the impact he made on their season isn't going to be easily replaced. As close a battle as the Cowboys and Philly had last season they needed practically everyone of his 1800 yards and 13 TD's to edge out Philly who was stuck with their backup QB for half the season. Now with Murray in Philly that could lead to a big shift in power especially if Philly gets their QB situation settled. Any games Hardy misses is going to effect the team if the Cowboys can't run the ball as effectively and keep the defense off the field as much as they did this past season. It's easy to sit here now saying what we won't need next season but I know from watching last season the defense has a ways to go and if the Cowboys can't run the football as efficiently as they did in 2014 they won't be as good a team.

The defense is going to have to get better so they can contain Murray when they face him twice a year. The Cowboys best player from last season was just added to Philly's arsenal I'm still shaking my head over it while many here are just blowing it off like it's no big deal. Now Philly has 2 very good backs and a potentially great young LB who will be with them a lot longer than Hardy will be with the Cowboys. I would rather have their 2 backs and Alonso over the backs we have and Hardy who'll probably play part of one season with the Cowboys and will likely be gone. Philly is building for the now and the future and the moves the Cowboys are making are for the now as in next season. Nether McFadden or Hardy could still be here after 2015.

Murray is a good back. We shouldn't taken anything away from him. I think people are upset that Phili of all teams signed Murray. If he went to Jax or Oak we would have just wished him good luck.

However, given that only 3 teams (not including Cowboys) were interested in his services should speak volumes about what FO around the league thinks about Dallas' OL and RB.

BTW, how are you going to get Alonso and those two RBs?

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Depends if you are a Dallas Cowboy fan or not.

Cowboys fan - Greg Hardy
Weak Troll - Murray

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Hardy and its not close. Running backs are a dime a dozen. Elite pass rushers are hard to find

Maggito

Reaction score
Good back vs Elite young pass rusher. There's really no contest. Grab a back in the draft, see what DMC has, go from there. You see a lot of talk about needing to build the trenches on this site. That's exactly what the Cowboys are doing and people are showing issue.

Then again I was fine with letting Murray be overpaid elsewhere even without Hardy. Hardy is just the icing on the cake

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
You want me to be honest? I would have liked to have had both and it possibly COULD have happened, but it didn't and there was a reason behind it and I personally support it.
But...
It would have been nice to have upgraded the D and kept the best option the team had of keeping the ball away from the opposing O, which helped the D to an extent.
That would have been nice, but it's still early and I am ready to celebrate Gurley as the Cowboys 1st round pick, or Ajayi as their 2nd, or 3rd pick. I would still be a very well satisfied man.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
Too early to tell… Let me see what Hardy can do and then I will choose….But as a rule I want someone who is IN more than someone who wants OUT (or calls rivals to express interest to that matter) ..if both are IN then I will wait to see what each one does

:cool:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Murray is a good back. We shouldn't taken anything away from him. I think people are upset that Phili of all teams signed Murray. If he went to Jax or Oak we would have just wished him good luck.

However, given that only 3 teams (not including Cowboys) were interested in his services should speak volumes about what FO around the league thinks about Dallas' OL and RB.

BTW, how are you going to get Alonso and those two RBs?

Three teams were willing to pay the kind of money Murray was looking for. He got a ton of cash during a time when RB's aren't valued like they once were. If any of those teams bidding for Murray's services thought his success in Dallas was strictly due to his OL none of them would have offered him big money. As for Philly they turned McCoy into Murray/Mathews and Alonso that's a good trade off in my opinion.

JBS

Reaction score
I'd rather have no Murray and no hardy than Murray...

And you are going to give me hardy to boot? Shuuuuu

Not even close

JBS

Reaction score
From a character standpoint, Murray.
From a purely football standpoint, Hardy.

From a character standpoint?
What, do you keep tabs on how many Humanitarian award winners we have?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Who would you rather have :

Demarco Murray or Greg Hardy?

My answer is Murray , we really dropped the ball here. However I think we could have easily had both with a restructure.

This off season feels slapped together.
158 people wasted likes. I wish I could top 158 with this post alone just for the fun of it.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Question should be Murray and a late first round DE or Hardy and a late first round RB?

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
So because he's coming off a 400 carry season that's a good reason to allow him to walk and sign with Philly? That could be a game changer move that could end up haunting the team for years. Just because history says something doesn't mean the pattern will continue. The Cowboys currently don't have a back on their roster who's produced a 1200 yard season. Before Murray arrived Emmitt was the last back to produce a 1200 plus carry season for the Cowboys. The best teams usually have one back carrying the brunt of the load because they're an elite player. Murray produced more yards in 2014 than McFadden produced the past 2 seasons. McFadden hasn't averaged more than 3.4 a carry the past 3 seasons only Trent Richardson has averaged less over that period.

A high pick could get off to a slow start with their blocking assignments and everything else which could lead to the Cowboys struggling to run the football. There's a chemistry factor you have to consider anytime you replace one player with another and Murray had developed and grown with this team. Not having an RB defenses fear/respect and have to game plan for could lead to opponents stacking the box every week which could affect the Cowboys entire offense and put more on Romo's shoulders. The Cowboys view Hardy as a risk which is why they only signed him to a one year deal.

The Eagles had Shady last year and didn't make the playoffs, the Cowboys still have that oline I am not worried one bit about Demarco Murray. His production is about to take a major tumble.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Question should be Murray and a late first round DE or Hardy and a late first round RB?

Hardy and a first would be my answer. Losing Murray (and I hate we did) is only one piece to a really good offense. Hardy will lift this whole defense.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
It's more a non star patriots approach :)

Yeah but from a fan perspective we know nothing about William, Randle might steal his way out of Dallas and never been impressed with DM.
Of the three right now DM is probably the direction we would have to go.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Eagles had Shady last year and didn't make the playoffs, the Cowboys still have that oline I am not worried one bit about Demarco Murray. His production is about to take a major tumble.

Now they have Murray/Mathews and potentially a great young linebacker in Alonso that improves them in my opinion. Murray's production is likely to take a tumble after an 1800 yard season but I'm sure Philly would take 1200 plus from him and another 500 from Matthews and be fine. They'll have no intention of running Murray like the Cowboys did last season. If they don't make a move for Mariota and Bradford stays healthy he may upgrade their QB position.