Who would you rather have Demarco Murray or Greg Hardy?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Ummmm, a running back who coming off a 400 carry season is not a risk? He would be the first in history if he ran for 1200 yds after carrying that many times the year prior. Do you not think McFadden and a high pick can't do that?

So because he's coming off a 400 carry season that's a good reason to allow him to walk and sign with Philly? That could be a game changer move that could end up haunting the team for years. Just because history says something doesn't mean the pattern will continue. The Cowboys currently don't have a back on their roster who's produced a 1200 yard season. Before Murray arrived Emmitt was the last back to produce a 1200 plus carry season for the Cowboys. The best teams usually have one back carrying the brunt of the load because they're an elite player. Murray produced more yards in 2014 than McFadden produced the past 2 seasons. McFadden hasn't averaged more than 3.4 a carry the past 3 seasons only Trent Richardson has averaged less over that period.

A high pick could get off to a slow start with their blocking assignments and everything else which could lead to the Cowboys struggling to run the football. There's a chemistry factor you have to consider anytime you replace one player with another and Murray had developed and grown with this team. Not having an RB defenses fear/respect and have to game plan for could lead to opponents stacking the box every week which could affect the Cowboys entire offense and put more on Romo's shoulders. The Cowboys view Hardy as a risk which is why they only signed him to a one year deal.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I hated letting Murray walk. But RBs can be replaced easier than DEs. Hardy even though he might miss four games is still going to lift this defense way up. Lawrence showed at the end of the year to. We don't need 1800 yards to win. We do need to cut down the time QBs had to pick us apart.
We just added that piece.

Murray wasn't just an RB he was the leagues leading rusher last season and has set 2 franchise records in the 4 years he was with the Cowboys plus he set an NFL record last season. What he produced last season for the Cowboys and the impact he made on their season isn't going to be easily replaced. As close a battle as the Cowboys and Philly had last season they needed practically everyone of his 1800 yards and 13 TD's to edge out Philly who was stuck with their backup QB for half the season. Now with Murray in Philly that could lead to a big shift in power especially if Philly gets their QB situation settled. Any games Hardy misses is going to effect the team if the Cowboys can't run the ball as effectively and keep the defense off the field as much as they did this past season. It's easy to sit here now saying what we won't need next season but I know from watching last season the defense has a ways to go and if the Cowboys can't run the football as efficiently as they did in 2014 they won't be as good a team.

The defense is going to have to get better so they can contain Murray when they face him twice a year. The Cowboys best player from last season was just added to Philly's arsenal I'm still shaking my head over it while many here are just blowing it off like it's no big deal. Now Philly has 2 very good backs and a potentially great young LB who will be with them a lot longer than Hardy will be with the Cowboys. I would rather have their 2 backs and Alonso over the backs we have and Hardy who'll probably play part of one season with the Cowboys and will likely be gone. Philly is building for the now and the future and the moves the Cowboys are making are for the now as in next season. Nether McFadden or Hardy could still be here after 2015.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Murray wasn't just an RB he was the leagues leading rusher last season and has set 2 franchise records in the 4 years he was with the Cowboys plus he set an NFL record last season. What he produced last season for the Cowboys and the impact he made on their season isn't going to be easily replaced. As close a battle as the Cowboys and Philly had last season they needed practically everyone of his 1800 yards and 13 TD's to edge out Philly who was stuck with their backup QB for half the season. Now with Murray in Philly that could lead to a big shift in power especially if Philly gets their QB situation settled. Any games Hardy misses is going to effect the team if the Cowboys can't run the ball as effectively and keep the defense off the field as much as they did this past season. It's easy to sit here now saying what we won't need next season but I know from watching last season the defense has a ways to go and if the Cowboys can't run the football as efficiently as they did in 2014 they won't be as good a team.

The defense is going to have to get better so they can contain Murray when they face him twice a year. The Cowboys best player from last season was just added to Philly's arsenal I'm still shaking my head over it while many here are just blowing it off like it's no big deal. Now Philly has 2 very good backs and a potentially great young LB who will be with them a lot longer than Hardy will be with the Cowboys. I would rather have their 2 backs and Alonso over the backs we have and Hardy who'll probably play part of one season with the Cowboys and will likely be gone. Philly is building for the now and the future and the moves the Cowboys are making are for the now as in next season.

I agree with you for the most part. But no matter how we slice it a RB is easier to get than a DE. Especially one like Hardy.
We might be renting him we might not be. That will be an argument for next year. Like you I think the Eagles are upgrading, and we just upgraded to. Murray is no longer here, I don't see the point in keeping the argument alive.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I'll let you know in September because if this team doesn't have a running game then they will be 8-8 with or without Hardy.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Is this a trick question? I am never good at those but I will go with Hardy. Good pass rushers don't grow on trees and you can find a good Rb even though I like Murray.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I agree with you for the most part. But no matter how we slice it a RB is easier to get than a DE. Especially one like Hardy.
We might be renting him we might not be. That will be an argument for next year. Like you I think the Eagles are upgrading, and we just upgraded to. Murray is no longer here, I don't see the point in keeping the argument alive.

Finding an "elite" RB isn't that easy the Cowboys went through several RB's after Emmitt before striking some gold with Murray. The team went through some scrubs/has beens and invested a couple of premium draft picks to try and find an elite player at the position. Now the Cowboys are forced to go through that same process of having to bring in another cast off in McFadden like they did with Eddie George a few years back. I remember how many were jumping for joy when Eddie George arrived in Dallas at the end of his career. LOL As for Hardy a one year deal is usually an indicator a player won't be around very long. The Cowboys are giving Hardy a year to prove himself because they're desperate at the position and need to make some kind of splash with the loss of Murray.

The argument with Murray will stay alive until he's replaced with a back that makes us forget him. The argument with Murray is just getting started if he ends up leading Philly past the Cowboys next season. You know as well as I do the board will erupt if Murray runs all over us next season and we start to feel his loss and are forced to play musical chairs at RB. I'm not saying what went down with Murray will backfire on the Cowboys but the potential is definitely there with him playing for a division rival.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Who would you rather have :

Demarco Murray or Greg Hardy?

My answer is Murray , we really dropped the ball here. However I think we could have easily had both with a restructure.

This off season feels slapped together.

Even if Dallas did some restructuring it wasn't in the teams best interest to meet Murray's financial terms. He out priced himself out of Dallas no matter how much money they had to spend. I'm a Murray fan, but he was just too expensive.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Finding an "elite" RB isn't that easy the Cowboys went through several RB's after Emmitt before striking some gold with Murray. The team went through some scrubs/has beens and invested a couple of premium draft picks to try and find an elite player at the position. Now the Cowboys are forced to go through that same process of having to bring in another cast off in McFadden like they did with Eddie George a few years back. I remember how many were jumping for joy when Eddie George arrived in Dallas at the end of his career. LOL As for Hardy a one year deal is usually an indicator a player won't be around very long. The Cowboys are giving Hardy a year to prove himself because they're desperate at the position and need to make some kind of splash with the loss of Murray.

The argument with Murray will stay alive until he's replaced with a back that makes us forget him. The argument with Murray is just getting started if he ends up leading Philly past the Cowboys next season. You know as well as I do the board will erupt if Murray runs all over us next season and we start to feel his loss and are forced to play musical chairs at RB. I'm not saying what went down with Murray will backfire on the Cowboys but the potential is definitely there.

What can we do about it now? My hope is we draft a RB to help. I'm also hoping that midway or so through the season that Hardy has a clean nose and has showed himself worthy of an extension. If he does that I don't see any reason Dallas isn't the team that keeps him.
I still don't think we need the leagues leading rusher to win. We need a strong running back to go with our Oline.
That along with an improved defense will go a long way. I know we improved our defense today. Plus if Lawrence comes on and IF Lee could stay healthy we are not only improved but very strong defensively.
We still have Romo, Dez ,Witten and Beasly. So we aren't weaponless.

joseephuss

Reaction score

The argument with Murray will stay alive until he's replaced with a back that makes us forget him. The argument with Murray is just getting started if he ends up leading Philly past the Cowboys next season. You know as well as I do the board will erupt if Murray runs all over us next season and we start to feel his loss and are forced to play musical chairs at RB. I'm not saying what went down with Murray will backfire on the Cowboys but the potential is definitely there with him playing for a division rival.

I don't remember anyone jumping for joy when 31 years old Eddie George came to Dallas. Nor were there great expectations about him. He ran behind very good lines during his time in Tennessee, but still averaged less than 4 yards a carry. No one thought he was going to be the lead back. No one is expecting McFadden to be gold, either. The replacement for Murray is not yet on the team and everyone knows this.

dallasdave

Reaction score

My answer is Murray , we really dropped the ball here. However I think we could have easily had both with a restructure.

In 2 words Greg Hardy

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don't remember anyone jumping for joy when 31 years old Eddie George came to Dallas. Nor were there great expectations about him. He ran behind very good lines during his time in Tennessee, but still averaged less than 4 yards a carry. No one thought he was going to be the lead back. No one is expecting McFadden to be gold, either. The replacement for Murray is not yet on the team and everyone knows this.

Several on the board I was on back in 04 were excited about the Eddie George signing because they had images of what he was. He was coming off a 1000 yard season in Tenn and some thought he still had another 1200 plus yard season left in him. The Cowboys wouldn't have signed him if they thought he couldn't still produce but they were wrong like many FANS were. There's great expectations with a lot of FANS with players who were once very good they always think they have one more great season left in them. Teams bank on the same thing for a season to see if a player has anything left. It's a desperation move when you don't have many options.

McFadden has had one solid season in 7 years but some here have great expectations with him and you obviously haven't seen those posts but claim to remember the sentiments surrounding Eddie George 11 years ago? :cool: Try reading the posts they're all recent you have one FAN saying he'll buy another a beer when McFadden leads the Cowboys to a SB win next season. You don't think he has great expectations? Another FAN predicted 1500 yards for McFadden you don't call that having great expectations?

the_h0wey

Reaction score

I find it funny you said we dropped the ball when in fact it was Murray who dropped the ball in the playoffs when he had miles of daylight in front of him.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I actually prefer Hardy and no Murray to Hardy and Murray. Should tell you what my answer to your question is.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
The question is laughable.

It's Hardy. Dallas' running game will be one of the leagues best regardless of who is running the ball.

jday

Reaction score

Depends on what the Cowboys do to address the RB position in the draft. I really hope they don't plan on rolling into the season with what they have. But if they do address it, I'm okay with the swap.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What can we do about it now? My hope is we draft a RB to help. I'm also hoping that midway or so through the season that Hardy has a clean nose and has showed himself worthy of an extension. If he does that I don't see any reason Dallas isn't the team that keeps him.
I still don't think we need the leagues leading rusher to win. We need a strong running back to go with our Oline.
That along with an improved defense will go a long way. I know we improved our defense today. Plus if Lawrence comes on and IF Lee could stay healthy we are not only improved but very strong defensively.
We still have Romo, Dez ,Witten and Beasly. So we aren't weaponless.

Nothing we can do now we just have to hope the Cowboys can make up for the loss. You don't need the leagues leading rusher but we do need a very productive runner Romo can turn to or he'll be back carrying the offense and that usually leads to 8-8 not 12-4.

Last edited: