Who would you try and re-sign now to get a bargain?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yes, getting ahead of myself, but assuming this team is as good as it looks with 3 games in, now is the time to get some bargains. This can backfire, I think I prefer to keep the tension going all year and let these guys prove themselves, but realistically, the Boys can save some money if they sign now AND pick the right high character achievers.

Cedric Wilson has a $2 million 1 year deal. Do you think he would go for a $3-$4m multiyear contract? That's not much damage on the cap for a 3rd wideout, especially today. Has he shown enough now that his agent knows a payday is coming and will wait? No hurt feelings from Gallup who still has to play for his contract.

The journeymen we signed to one year contracts. Worth signing again? Let's be real, even if guys like Kearse end up with a fantastic season, what are the odds they repeat? Think 90's Cowboys defensive backs like Larry Brown and James Washington. But can we sign one for a cheap contract and depth? Or should we just wait for the next version of them in free agency next year?

Dalton Schultz. The way I look at his and Darwin's contract together is that both equal what we would pay one All Pro TE. We keep looking for that next superstar TE, but until then are happy with both of these guys, especially Dalton. How much do you think he will get in the market if he continues like this? Coverage is going to back off all year with our wideouts and his numbers will continue to grow.

The only potential holdouts I see are Tony Pollard who ends in 2023, and Diggs who ends in 2024. Both are making a lot less for their position if they continue to produce the rest of the year like this.

Players who have contracts ending after his year:
  • Connor Williams
  • LVE
  • Keanu Neal
  • Michael Gallups
  • Dorance Armstrong
  • Dalton Schultz
  • Cedrick Wilson
  • Brandon Knight
  • Luke Gifford
  • Ty Nsechke
  • Brent Urban
  • Carlos Watkins
  • Malik Turner
  • Maurice Canady
  • Jayron Kearse
  • Damontae Kazee
  • Noah Brown
  • Bryan Anger
  • Randy Gregory
  • Malik Hooker
  • Cooper Rush
  • Corey Clement
  • Jake McQuaide
I don’t worry about this stuff. Just want to enjoy the season. The rest will take care of itself.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
Yes, getting ahead of myself, but assuming this team is as good as it looks with 3 games in, now is the time to get some bargains. This can backfire, I think I prefer to keep the tension going all year and let these guys prove themselves, but realistically, the Boys can save some money if they sign now AND pick the right high character achievers.

Cedric Wilson has a $2 million 1 year deal. Do you think he would go for a $3-$4m multiyear contract? That's not much damage on the cap for a 3rd wideout, especially today. Has he shown enough now that his agent knows a payday is coming and will wait? No hurt feelings from Gallup who still has to play for his contract.

The journeymen we signed to one year contracts. Worth signing again? Let's be real, even if guys like Kearse end up with a fantastic season, what are the odds they repeat? Think 90's Cowboys defensive backs like Larry Brown and James Washington. But can we sign one for a cheap contract and depth? Or should we just wait for the next version of them in free agency next year?

Dalton Schultz. The way I look at his and Darwin's contract together is that both equal what we would pay one All Pro TE. We keep looking for that next superstar TE, but until then are happy with both of these guys, especially Dalton. How much do you think he will get in the market if he continues like this? Coverage is going to back off all year with our wideouts and his numbers will continue to grow.

The only potential holdouts I see are Tony Pollard who ends in 2023, and Diggs who ends in 2024. Both are making a lot less for their position if they continue to produce the rest of the year like this.

• Connor Williams
  • LVE
  • Keanu Neal
  • Michael Gallups
  • Dorance Armstrong
  • Dalton Schultz
  • Cedrick Wilson
  • Brandon Knight
  • Luke Gifford
  • Ty Nsechke
  • Brent Urban
  • Carlos Watkins
  • Malik Turner
  • Maurice Canady
  • Jayron Kearse
  • Damontae Kazee
  • Noah Brown
  • Bryan Anger
  • Randy Gregory
  • Malik Hooker
  • Cooper Rush
  • Corey Clement
  • Jake McQuaide
All the safeties. God knows we won’t draft one and this is the first year in a LONG time I don’t worry about our safety play every week.

AyeAtey

Reaction score
Dak and Dutch is like bread and butter. Need the tough yards, in a bind, need that 1st down, a key block. Really beginning to be a go to guy.

Then, and OL, then someone on D.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Schultz.

The Cowboys have found their TE. Considering his play and improvement he's probably as cheap as he's going to be right now.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

• Connor Williams
  • LVE
  • Keanu Neal
  • Michael Gallups
  • Dorance Armstrong
  • Dalton Schultz
  • Cedrick Wilson
  • Brandon Knight
  • Luke Gifford
  • Ty Nsechke
  • Brent Urban
  • Carlos Watkins
  • Malik Turner
  • Maurice Canady
  • Jayron Kearse
  • Damontae Kazee
  • Noah Brown
  • Bryan Anger
  • Randy Gregory
  • Malik Hooker
  • Cooper Rush
  • Corey Clement
  • Jake McQuaide
Definitely not Connor Williams, let him walk. I think Shultz is a good candidate. He could be our TE for the next 5 years. I would have approached Gallup already. I Kneal I think is signed for another year.

John813

Reaction score
Definitely not Connor Williams, let him walk. I think Shultz is a good candidate. He could be our TE for the next 5 years. I would have approached Gallup already. I Kneal I think is signed for another year.

Neal is signed for only 1 year, the rest are void years. So, there would be some incentive by the team to re-sign him prior to FA to not eat two mil dead cap next year if his play is worthy of an extension

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Neal is signed for only 1 year, the rest are void years. So, there would be some incentive by the team to re-sign him prior to FA to not eat two mil dead cap next year if his play is worthy of an extension

I dont think we need Kneal. I think Cox fills into that role nicely next year. Parsons and Cox as the linebackers in the nickel. Now if he would sign for a reasonable about, great.

Kazee maybe, Kearse would be great.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

• Connor Williams
  • LVE
  • Keanu Neal
  • Michael Gallups
  • Dorance Armstrong
  • Dalton Schultz
  • Cedrick Wilson
  • Brandon Knight
  • Luke Gifford
  • Ty Nsechke
  • Brent Urban
  • Carlos Watkins
  • Malik Turner
  • Maurice Canady
  • Jayron Kearse
  • Damontae Kazee
  • Noah Brown
  • Bryan Anger
  • Randy Gregory
  • Malik Hooker
  • Cooper Rush
  • Corey Clement
  • Jake McQuaide

Schultz or Cedric Wilson.

Creeper

Reaction score
If you were the agent for these players would you want to sign an extension now, or take your guy to free agency and see what he gets on the open market?

Guys like LVE, Gregory, Schultz, Gallup and even Connor Williams are going to sign elsewhere next year because they will get offers Dallas will not want to match, or can't match. They will miss Gallup and Schultz.

Cedric Wilson may play himself into a new contract somewhere else too. Gallup getting hurt is the best thing that could happen for Cedric Wilson.

I think guys like Neal, Hooker, and Kearse are hoping to play themselves into new contracts as well.

Just remember, Dallas is $22 million over the CAP for 2022 so we are not going to see a lot of expensive free agents signed.

But one comment about this list. It is too long and the Cowboys need to figure out how to stop allowing so many guys going to free agency the same year.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Schultz and Kearse would be my targets to extend early before they blow up and become household names. I like wilson but there are always tons of solid WRs in the mid rounds that can be had to be our 3rd WR.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I think the ones that you might be able to do deals with are Gregory and the receivers Wilson and Brown.

I feel the rest are all looking ahead to hitting the market.

I wouldn't touch Gregory. Too many suspensions. If I were a GM, I'd be reluctant just to give him a contract period.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
We’ve only played 3 games so let’s pump the brakes. By end of season you might be asking for these guys to be cut

the only exception is Schultz
I’d try to sign him at the right price

Perhaps Watkins and Urban if they are cheap fir a year or 2.

the rest I wait till the end of the season

Agree right now, but one of these other players may be indispensable too as time goes on. Sign Schultz now because the way defenses play us is going to give him a career year.

Last edited:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Long list of people that are contributing now. We make an deep run and teams will pick us apart.

Yes. :(

We are definitely better than those 90's days when Jerry was figuring out the salary cap and anyone who wasn't Pro Bowl basically didn't get a re-sign, but this is why I bring it up, I don't want to lose some of these guys.

The best way to maintain championships is to maintain teams and chemistry. (Assuming we make it far this year)