Who would you try and re-sign now to get a bargain?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
But then again I didn’t see Garrett getting a assistant job as quick as he did so but yeah I think we got Quinn at least for two more years….

If we go to the NFC Championship or further, I think there are good odds to lose both coordinators. The flavor of the month.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Yes, getting ahead of myself, but assuming this team is as good as it looks with 3 games in, now is the time to get some bargains. This can backfire, I think I prefer to keep the tension going all year and let these guys prove themselves, but realistically, the Boys can save some money if they sign now AND pick the right high character achievers.

Cedric Wilson has a $2 million 1 year deal. Do you think he would go for a $3-$4m multiyear contract? That's not much damage on the cap for a 3rd wideout, especially today. Has he shown enough now that his agent knows a payday is coming and will wait? No hurt feelings from Gallup who still has to play for his contract.

The journeymen we signed to one year contracts. Worth signing again? Let's be real, even if guys like Kearse end up with a fantastic season, what are the odds they repeat? Think 90's Cowboys defensive backs like Larry Brown and James Washington. But can we sign one for a cheap contract and depth? Or should we just wait for the next version of them in free agency next year?

Dalton Schultz. The way I look at his and Darwin's contract together is that both equal what we would pay one All Pro TE. We keep looking for that next superstar TE, but until then are happy with both of these guys, especially Dalton. How much do you think he will get in the market if he continues like this? Coverage is going to back off all year with our wideouts and his numbers will continue to grow.

The only potential holdouts I see are Tony Pollard who ends in 2023, and Diggs who ends in 2024. Both are making a lot less for their position if they continue to produce the rest of the year like this.

Players who have contracts ending after his year:
  • Connor Williams
  • LVE
  • Keanu Neal
  • Michael Gallups
  • Dorance Armstrong
  • Dalton Schultz
  • Cedrick Wilson
  • Brandon Knight
  • Luke Gifford
  • Ty Nsechke
  • Brent Urban
  • Carlos Watkins
  • Malik Turner
  • Maurice Canady
  • Jayron Kearse
  • Damontae Kazee
  • Noah Brown
  • Bryan Anger
  • Randy Gregory
  • Malik Hooker
  • Cooper Rush
  • Corey Clement
  • Jake McQuaide
schultz,
wilson
brown (noah) good special teamer. can play a little in special packages. shouldn't be that costly.

lets give hooker, urban, watkins another few weeks, but they would be on the list too.

the rest can wait until after season. I pretty much expect gallup to be gone....but hopefully we get a 4th or even a 3rd (depending on his contract).

conner01

Reaction score
We’ve only played 3 games so let’s pump the brakes. By end of season you might be asking for these guys to be cut

the only exception is Schultz
I’d try to sign him at the right price

Perhaps Watkins and Urban if they are cheap fir a year or 2.

the rest I wait till the end of the season
I would look at Schultz today
I would explore Wilson to
I’m not ready to look at Gregory

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Wait to see how the season plays out. Players get injured and/or fall off during the season. That’s what creates bargains.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
If you were the agent for these players would you want to sign an extension now, or take your guy to free agency and see what he gets on the open market?

Guys like LVE, Gregory, Schultz, Gallup and even Connor Williams are going to sign elsewhere next year because they will get offers Dallas will not want to match, or can't match. They will miss Gallup and Schultz.

Cedric Wilson may play himself into a new contract somewhere else too. Gallup getting hurt is the best thing that could happen for Cedric Wilson.

I think guys like Neal, Hooker, and Kearse are hoping to play themselves into new contracts as well.

Just remember, Dallas is $22 million over the CAP for 2022 so we are not going to see a lot of expensive free agents signed.

But one comment about this list. It is too long and the Cowboys need to figure out how to stop allowing so many guys going to free agency the same year.

I agree. Everyone on that list above (LVE, Gregory, Schultz, Gallup, C. Wililams) have potential to get a crazy high contract on a team with cap room that forces us to back off. Some of these safeties might be playing their way into one now too. Pounce now while we can.

Regarding $22m over, the next step is which veteran big contracts do we cut, which is based on this list. I'd say Tank if we keep everyone here right now but don't see guys like Gregory being signed again. Jaylon would be a possibility if LVE wasn't leaving. And so on....

Conor Williams is underrated by fans, but he's definitely a "let go" if Conor McGovern keeps playing like he is. Starter skills, probably better potential, much cheaper.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I expect some of the defensive guys to go with DQ if he leaves. I like to keep 1 safety, at least. I'm a Neal fan, but Cox is a replacement for him. They have to sign Shultz. Ced Wilson and Noah Brown re+sign. RG, Urban are two DL I'd be happy to retain. A lot of contributors on this list...hope they can sign around half of them.

I seriously doubt Quinn is getting another HC gig after 1 season. Maybe after a few offseason cycles he'll resurface, but not yet.

DanA

Reaction score
In terms of priority to re-sign
# 1: Dalton Shultz: Fits perfectly with our receivers and run game
# 2: Damonte Kazee: We don't really have an alternative under contract and he's looked great
# 3: Cedric Wilson: We don't have a 3rd receiver under contract and his versatility is enticing

Options to cut:
# 1: Jaylon Smith: Will almost certainly happen
# 2: Blake Jarwin: Overpaid for a no.2 that can't block
# 3: Anthony Brown: If his spot gets taken by Joseph or Wright it could happen, but he's probably playing above his contract which isn't that high
# 4: La'el Collins: Unlikely but losing his guaranteed money and with Steele is playing really well it's possible.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yes, getting ahead of myself, but assuming this team is as good as it looks with 3 games in, now is the time to get some bargains. This can backfire, I think I prefer to keep the tension going all year and let these guys prove themselves, but realistically, the Boys can save some money if they sign now AND pick the right high character achievers.

Cedric Wilson has a $2 million 1 year deal. Do you think he would go for a $3-$4m multiyear contract? That's not much damage on the cap for a 3rd wideout, especially today. Has he shown enough now that his agent knows a payday is coming and will wait? No hurt feelings from Gallup who still has to play for his contract.

The journeymen we signed to one year contracts. Worth signing again? Let's be real, even if guys like Kearse end up with a fantastic season, what are the odds they repeat? Think 90's Cowboys defensive backs like Larry Brown and James Washington. But can we sign one for a cheap contract and depth? Or should we just wait for the next version of them in free agency next year?

Dalton Schultz. The way I look at his and Darwin's contract together is that both equal what we would pay one All Pro TE. We keep looking for that next superstar TE, but until then are happy with both of these guys, especially Dalton. How much do you think he will get in the market if he continues like this? Coverage is going to back off all year with our wideouts and his numbers will continue to grow.

The only potential holdouts I see are Tony Pollard who ends in 2023, and Diggs who ends in 2024. Both are making a lot less for their position if they continue to produce the rest of the year like this.

• Connor Williams
  • LVE
  • Keanu Neal
  • Michael Gallups
  • Dorance Armstrong
  • Dalton Schultz
  • Cedrick Wilson
  • Brandon Knight
  • Luke Gifford
  • Ty Nsechke
  • Brent Urban
  • Carlos Watkins
  • Malik Turner
  • Maurice Canady
  • Jayron Kearse
  • Damontae Kazee
  • Noah Brown
  • Bryan Anger
  • Randy Gregory
  • Malik Hooker
  • Cooper Rush
  • Corey Clement
  • Jake McQuaide
Not one of them..jerrys needs to done with that short term, cap issues im lettings them play out their deals and stop bidding against ourselves..let them show until the very last game of their deal that they earned it, if we lose them we lose them..

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

• Connor Williams
  • LVE
  • Keanu Neal
  • Michael Gallups
  • Dorance Armstrong
  • Dalton Schultz
  • Cedrick Wilson
  • Brandon Knight
  • Luke Gifford
  • Ty Nsechke
  • Brent Urban
  • Carlos Watkins
  • Malik Turner
  • Maurice Canady
  • Jayron Kearse
  • Damontae Kazee
  • Noah Brown
  • Bryan Anger
  • Randy Gregory
  • Malik Hooker
  • Cooper Rush
  • Corey Clement
  • Jake McQuaide
The one's I'm most concerned with retaining are …

Dalton Schultz
Cedrick Wilson (based on the assumption we can't pay Gallup)
Javon Kearse (based on his current level of play, but it is too early to make definite decisions)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I seriously doubt Quinn is getting another HC gig after 1 season. Maybe after a few offseason cycles he'll resurface, but not yet.

I agree with you. I can’t think of too many forehead coaches that jump into that role after just one year.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
# 2: Damonte Kazee: We don't really have an alternative under contract and he's looked great
# 3: Cedric Wilson: We don't have a 3rd receiver under contract and his versatility is enticing

Options to cut:
# 3: Anthony Brown: If his spot gets taken by Joseph or Wright it could happen, but he's probably playing above his contract which isn't that high
# 4: La'el Collins: Unlikely but losing his guaranteed money and with Steele is playing really well it's possible.

The team obviously loves Schultz but they are also high on Mckeon. I could see them letting Dalton walk unfortunately.

I'd try to re-sign Kazee right now. Not that he's lighting it up or anything. But he's a solid vet at a position we've struggled at for years. Plus he's a Quinn guy and knows the defense. I expect Quinn to be around for at least 2-3 years.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Options to cut:
I don't much care about Jarwin, so it depends what you are looking for in your 2nd TE.....he is the 27th highest paid TE in the league this year (and playing like it). much like you I would move on from Jarwin, as he doesn't bring any special skills to the table. he is a one trick pony at this point (running a seam route against LBs).

but I do like our list.....

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Players who have contracts ending after his year: [LIST said:
[*]Connor Williams- Not offering a top contract but we should see what ball park he wants.
[*]LVE- let him test free agency, i'd give him a 2 year deal super cheap about 2 maybe 3 million a year
[*]Keanu Neal- offer him a similar deal he has now
[*]Michael Gallups- i'd see what he wants, but i wouldn't give him a big contract
[*]Dorance Armstrong- bye
[*]Dalton Schultz- I'd cut jarwin to keep this guy in a heartbeat
[*]Cedrick Wilson- if gallup leaves then get wilson on a modest contract, watch him excel.
[*]Brandon Knight- offer him a similar deal he has now
[*]Luke Gifford- bye
[*]Ty Nsechke- bye
[*]Brent Urban- bye
[*]Carlos Watkins- bye
[*]Malik Turner- they should talk to him sure but only on a cheap deal
[*]Maurice Canady depends if we think joseph and wright step up
[*]Jayron Kearse- offer him a similar deal he has now
[*]Damontae Kazee- offer him a similar deal he has now
[*]Noah Brown- bye
[*]Bryan Anger- open competition
[*]Randy Gregory- offer him a similar deal he has now
[*]Malik Hooker- better sign him, not to a crazy deal but decent base, and playing incentives in case of injury
[*]Cooper Rush bye
[*]Corey Clement bye
[*]Jake McQuaide bye
[/LIST]

Not offering any of these guys a top 5 contract at their positions. It's just too much $ but they really should have conversations with their agents and see where they are at and if they can be had at a good price then consider inking the deal.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The team obviously loves Schultz but they are also high on Mckeon. I could see them letting Dalton walk unfortunately.

I see them not having a choice. Schultz was already priced out for the Cowboys and their terrible cap position. But him playing even better than last year makes it a virtual certainty barring injury.

People that think they can just cut Jarwin and sign Schultz are sadly mistaken.

I'd try to re-sign Kazee right now. Not that he's lighting it up or anything. But he's a solid vet at a position we've struggled at for years. Plus he's a Quinn guy and knows the defense. I expect Quinn to be around for at least 2-3 years.

That’s not a bad idea? but I have to believe that it will depend on what the team thinks of Mukuamu in that role.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
That’s not a bad idea? but I have to believe that it will depend on what the team thinks of Mukuamu in that role.

I have a hard time seeing Mukwamu playing essentially a center field role like Kazee at his size. I think maybe he could develop into a SS or matchup S like Kearse. But who knows at this point. We probably won't get a good look at Mukwamu until next year.